CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

I love most everything they mention--and would be super excited if we got Crate & Barrel, a Harry & David, and a Sundance movie theater! That would be cool!! Everything else would be icing on the cake!

http://www.citycentrehouston.com/shopping/...f807a64e4aec04c

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but Town & Country Center has really been spiffing things up a bit!! Tons of huge date palms going up and parts of the parking lot have been redone. Guess they're getting ready for the competition!

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 1

Okay, I was thinking this project was gonna be smaller, but after looking at the site layout, the place looks huge! It looks like it's gonna be larger than the project proposed for the HISD HQ site on Richmond, is that right?

Oh yeah, one more question, on the site layout, in the top corner there's a spot that says "Future Development", but I think that's where the Radisson is, so is that hotel coming down?

Edited by NewMND
  • Like 1

Yes, this is Town & Country, near I-10 and the Beltway. Hurray! I can smell my property value going up...LOL :lol:

NewMND, the plans for the Radisson are unclear. MetroNational just purchased it, so it will not be part of Midway Co.'s project.

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 1

Well it is being built inside the beltway loop! As far the inner loop, there is that project proposed for the HISD HQ site on Richmond.

Well, that's the first time I've ever heard anyone call inside the beltway "the beltway loop".

From the "Cultural" page of their website:

Its pedestrian-friendly design will make it easy to explore a variety of cultural pursuits from fine dining to arts, music and film, or an after-dinner stroll. Located in the heart of Houston, CITYCENTRE’s vibrant community will be an ideal meeting place for friends and family alike. Plentiful parking will also be available.
Sounds like mall culture to me.

"

...in the heart of Houston
"? :lol:

I'ts western border in Beltway 8.

B)

• Like 1

Oh yeah, one more question, on the site layout, in the top corner there's a spot that says "Future Development", but I think that's where the Radisson is, so is that hotel coming down?

I think the hotel is just north of that lot. If anything would have brought the hotel down, it would be the I-10 construction.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like they'll have a Specialty Grocer as well (read: Central Market or Whole Foods)

http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/sct0505/dev_leasing_7.php

Town and Country Place

Re-use is the order of the day in Houston, with older centers being torn down to accommodate mixed-use lifestyle projects. Midway acquired the Town & Country Mall, for instance, at the Sam Houston Tollway and Interstate 10, to remake as the open-air Town and Country Place containing 500,000 square feet of high-end retail and a full-service hotel. Anchor Neiman Marcus will stay.

Town and Country was an open-air center previously, many many years ago.

The Valencia Group, developer of the four-star Hotel Valencia Riverwalk in San Antonio, is creating a new property brand called Hotel Elle.
They better have good service and maintain the property well, or it will soon be known as Hotel Hell.

• 2 months later...

I know that it has been posted on the forum before but I could not find the topic discussing the development of the area which used to be town and country mall, and the area on the other side of memorial city mall (just east).

as I remember it was supposed to be an expansion of the open air town and country village maybe and some residential and commercial towers. most importantly there was supposedly going to be a new ampitheatre and expansion of memorial herman.

if someone could give me the link or reply to this post that would be great. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I take issue with the name of this place: Citycentre Town & Country -- it is at least 10 miles from Downtown Houston.

I guess when you spell center with an "RE" you do not need to be located in the true middle of a city, but can instead be a "centre" in the "city".

I am probably making too much of a small thing, but the Town & Country site is not in the "center city" but instead very suburban.

What they are running with is a study that I read about a few years back that said that since Houston Metro area goes so far west that in reality the center of the city is 10 miles west of downtown at the Beltway and I10. They said most of the time cities grow equally in all directions from the downtown. I remember thinking to myself when reading that at the time that I can think of several cities that do not match that. Mostly cities that sit on the water like Chicago, but also Dallas. Sorry I do not have a link to the article, but it was in the Chronicle or the Houston Business Journal. For those with time might be able to locate it.

What they are running with is a study that I read about a few years back that said that since Houston Metro area goes so far west that in reality the center of the city is 10 miles west of downtown at the Beltway and I10. They said most of the time cities grow equally in all directions from the downtown. I remember thinking to myself when reading that at the time that I can think of several cities that do not match that. Mostly cities that sit on the water like Chicago, but also Dallas. Sorry I do not have a link to the article, but it was in the Chronicle or the Houston Business Journal. For those with time might be able to locate it.

The Atlanta Metropolitan area is urbanizing to the north (northeast and northwest) at a much faster rate than in any other major direction. The west and east sides are seeing some growth but at not nearly the rate as is the north. The southern sector is seeing sporadic growth but it would probably be akin to the development that's taking place on the northern half of the east Sam Houston Parkway here in Houston.

* Seattle's growth seems to be heading north and west rather than south.

* Detroit's growth is mostly to the north. Some growth is occuring to the west but almost none to the south.

* Denver's growth is mostly to the west and north. The eastern edge of the city, much like Houston, is growing at a much slower rate.

In other words, I, like you, see great contradictions to the notion that cities all growth radially from a central point. Growth follows corridors of economic growth. It's not a coincidence that Houston's recent growth is following the same direction as the Energy Corridor nor is it a coincidence that Dallas' growth is following the Platinum Corridor.

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree with you guys, 10 miles due west of downtown Houston is in the grand scheme of things, basically in the "centre" of town. When the city is as big as Houston is, it's not too far off that's for sure, especially when you take into account how established the area is and how much expansion there is west of it.

If you think about it the west growth is due to the clean/cheap land in west Houston.

Katy, Fairfield and Sugarland look cleaner and the land is cheap.

All the damn refineries in east Houston make growth there impractical.

• 1 month later...

Except that I-10 and Gessner is currently the demographic center of Houston (or centre! :) ) and that's projected to move further west -- not surprisingly, to I-10 and the Beltway, exactly where CityCentre will be located -- within the next 5-10 years.

West Houston's population will grow by 20% in the next 10 years, according to estimates I've read...it's average household income will grown nearly proportionate to that.

• 1 month later...
They started demolition this weekend. I will try to get over there and take a pic today on my way to work.

:closedeyes:

Yay! and Awwww!.

Good that they are starting to development the new T&C Lifestyle center. :)

Sad to see such an old 80's icon leave. -_-