CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

Yeah, T&C itself actually constructed some more "dense" retail along the border with CC, and it seems to help bring the two together.

It really wouldn't make sense for Midway to expand north of I-10. They might as well go tap into a completely new market if they were to do that.

I'm sure if they have thought of anything it would be acquire the land between CityCentre and I-10, tear down those Class C office buildings and redevelop that land and make it all contiguous with the CityCentre that exists today.

That is probably decades from happening, though. CityCentre does seem to be a success, and from what I've heard Midway is looking into other submarkets around town to redevelop, which is exciting considering the kind of product they delivered with CityCentre.

• Like 1

What I heard was that eventually it would find it's way to nearly Memorial City mall and spread north of I-10. The whole area would hope to provide pedestrian friendly modes of access so that cars would not be needed beyond arrival.

Are they going to put a pedestrian bridge over the I-10 Beltway interchange?

I'm sure if they have thought of anything it would be acquire the land between CityCentre and I-10, tear down those Class C office buildings and redevelop that land and make it all contiguous with the CityCentre that exists today.

I think that is a good idea, too and may be an even better idea than the other side of I-10 and just to the south of it. However, I'm not sure it would be decades before they did that, my guess is 10-13 years ;P . Of course it might depend if they truly are looking into other submarkets. Hopefully they're looking inside the loop. I'm not sure of any other places this could be done outside of it, at least on this scale.

Isn't there a foot/bike path that goes under the beltway/I-10 interchange? I thought I saw it on the north side at least, I'm not sure if you can get to all 4 corners on it. Obviously that might involve crossing feeder roads which isn't ideal. The bayou trails go under the beltway already.

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't there a foot/bike path that goes under the beltway/I-10 interchange? I thought I saw it on the north side at least, I'm not sure if you can get to all 4 corners on it. Obviously that might involve crossing feeder roads which isn't ideal. The bayou trails go under the beltway already.

I'll check that out the next time I'm on my bike over that way and let you know.

With four stores opening this month and three more coming online by the end of the year, it’s easy to miss something.

We chatted with Midway leasing director Suzanne Anderson flanked by Weingarten’s Patrick Manchi and Paradigm’s Bill Farris. She tells us it’s a critical time during which everyone is trying to find leases and open by year-end. A few have locked in space including Ruggles Green (opened last week), and Flora & Muse, Cyclone Anaya’s, and Republic of Couture open late August/early September. The Tasting Room, Red Mango (which Bill represents), and Paul Carter Jewels also open before Jan. 1. Suzanne says there are lots of successful restaurants in the center now, so Midway’s focusing on bringing in fashion and retail groups, and has deals working with national and unique concepts.

She tells us 179k SF of the total 400k SF are still available, putting the development slightly over 50% occupancy. One office building is full and the other is at 80%, plus Midway plans to soon start yet another, with eight stories and 250k SF. The residential components are doing well, too, with about 80% occupancy at both the Lofts and Domain.

http://www.bisnow.com/houston_commercial_real_estate_news_story.php?p=9684

• 1 month later...

The two office buildings in CityCentre are full and Midway is planning on starting another office building soon, Brinsden says. That building, expected to be eight stories and 250,000 square feet, will be located west of the Hotel Sorella.

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/08-01-10-mixed-use/

I'm pretty sure this building was in the original plans so probably nothing new.

Now a Biz Journal article:

CityCentre Three will feature two six-story office buildings with a total of 250,000 square feet of space, including 33,000 square feet of ground level retail space. The development site is north of Hotel Sorella.

Brad Freels, chairman and CEO of Midway, says initial plans called for one nine-story building with 250,000 square feet, but the decision was made to split it into two facilities.

Approximately 30 percent to 40 percent of the space will need to be leased before construction begins.

“We’re not planning to put a shovel in the ground tomorrow,” says Freels.

“The office is more successful because of the environment,” he says.

1347681-600-0-1.jpg

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2010/09/20/daily7.html

Read more: Midway eyes CityCentre Three - Houston Business Journal

• Like 1

I spent some time at City Centre this weekend. Really has a great feel to it and still has a lot of available ground floor retail. It's only going to get better now that the economy is showing some signs of recovery.

I've been visiting CC at least once a month since it opened, and it's things opening up.

The only thing that bothers me at this point is that it seems to be very dining oriented, with hardly any retail shops.

From their website under the dining and shopping tab:

17 dining establishments

7 shopping establishments

Seems sorta 1 sided... also not a single mens clothing store.

Maybe because Memorial City mall is right around the corner?

I've been visiting CC at least once a month since it opened, and it's things opening up.

The only thing that bothers me at this point is that it seems to be very dining oriented, with hardly any retail shops.

From their website under the dining and shopping tab:

17 dining establishments

7 shopping establishments

Seems sorta 1 sided... also not a single mens clothing store.

Maybe because Memorial City mall is right around the corner?

Also your have all those retail stores in the shopping center next door to City Centre.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, keep in mind folks this is the demographic center of Houston and the highest earning zip code in Texas (and likely the south). This won't fly just anywhere.

I love that people call this the burb's. I live in Spring Branch (obviously Spring Shadows) and I work in the Galleria, I can drive to work in 12 minutes in the morning. It takes about 15 minutes to get to downtown. Outside the Loop isn't the burbs anymore, it's the city. It's the demographic center of the city, it's memorial, it's the best school district in the city. Like it or lump it, it's Houston and in 10 years when it has many more high-rises no-one will think any differently

Gessner looks like a dump north of I-10 but mark my words it's changing fast. Spring Shadows is filled with 80 year olds who've been dropping like flies and every time they get replaced but very successful 30-somethings with kids like myself. I've seen more luxury vehicles on Gessner than pick-ups recently and that's unusual. We've had 2 attorneys move into our cull-de-sac this year. Our neighborhood is very family friendly, I know the names of everyone on our street and they know me, we exchange emails and look out for each other. The changes I've seen in just 4 years are crazy. Especially around Bunker Hill. Westview is now littered with HUGE new homes, and every day there is another one added. Money's run out of room south of I-10 and has now crossed the freeway. My home value, even in this economy, has gone up nearly 60k in 3 years (I had it appraised to re-finance). The 35 story building you all hate so much brought 35 stories of professionals to the area who want to live close to work as has the new C-Mex building. We bid on a house on Westview, 1600 square feet listed at 140k, we offered 162k, it sold for 200k. The comps can't even keep up.

Buy now, mark my words. The branding in this area expands every day (street signs, pavers, 12 new (matching) schools, obilesks, gateway markers, flowers) and when light rail, City Center expansion north of I-10, Memorial City expansion north of I-10, and Gessner re-build happens you'll wish you did.

I love that you wrote this, mostly because it echoes my own feelings about the area.

I've been living within walking distance to CityCentre for the last 5 years and have been watching the area develop and grow.

We recently outgrew our 5 year old, 2 bedroom condo and sold it for a very significant profit. We love this area, the schools and the opportunity that it offers, but just couldn't justify the expense of a house in "Memorial."

There is so much new construction just north of I-10, that we are now under contract with a home builder and are having a 4 bedroom home built just 2 miles from CityCentre.

We looked at moving to the suburbs and other areas inside of Houston, but it's so hard to beat the amenities, schools, price and opportunity of the BW8/I10 quadrant. I have a feeling my family will be in this area for quite some time.

I love that you wrote this, mostly because it echoes my own feelings about the area.

I've been living within walking distance to CityCentre for the last 5 years and have been watching the area develop and grow.

We recently outgrew our 5 year old, 2 bedroom condo and sold it for a very significant profit. We love this area, the schools and the opportunity that it offers, but just couldn't justify the expense of a house in "Memorial."

There is so much new construction just north of I-10, that we are now under contract with a home builder and are having a 4 bedroom home built just 2 miles from CityCentre.

We looked at moving to the suburbs and other areas inside of Houston, but it's so hard to beat the amenities, schools, price and opportunity of the BW8/I10 quadrant. I have a feeling my family will be in this area for quite some time.

Thanks. I think this community's reputation is really spreading. The closeness of all the neighbors in Spring Shadows reminds me of Heights BLVD when I lived there. Just last night my wife and I took our little girl for a walk and we were stopped twice in 15 minutes by frinedly neighbors introducing themselves, and the streets are always busy with family traffic and casual pedestrians. We feel very safe here.

Interesting. Too far out for me to drive to just to look around... Looks nice though. Is this area the demographic center of Houston or the Houston Metro area? I find this difficult to believe. This certainly does not appear to be from looking at some maps. Perhaps this was inferred from the 2000 Census. I'd be interested to know what the latest Census reveals.

Sure, the Katy area (West Houston) has been growing. But has it been growing that much faster than say...

Pearland (South)

The Woodlands/Conroe (North)

Cy-Fair (Northwest)

Atasocita/Kingwood (Northeast)

Ft Bend (Southwest)

League City (Southeast)

I would wager that West Houston (including Katy) grew faster than those areas mentioned. Honestly, has any part of Houston besides west, sw, and inner Houston grown over the past decade? No doubt that our outer suburbs has, but I doubt it would be enough to draw the center of Houston away from the memorial area.

Sure, the Katy area (West Houston) has been growing. But has it been growing that much faster than say...

Pearland (South)

The Woodlands/Conroe (North)

Cy-Fair (Northwest)

Atasocita/Kingwood (Northeast)

Ft Bend (Southwest)

League City (Southeast)

Cy-Fair and Ft. Bend are both areas that are west of the center and yes, I would say that Katy, Cy-Fair, and Ft. Bend are growing faster than the other areas that you have listed (w/ the possible exception of Pearland).

Interesting. Too far out for me to drive to just to look around... Looks nice though. Is this area the demographic center of Houston or the Houston Metro area? I find this difficult to believe. This certainly does not appear to be from looking at some maps. Perhaps this was inferred from the 2000 Census. I'd be interested to know what the latest Census reveals.

By Demographic Center they mean, the richest Zip Code in Texas, the statistics are posted earlier in this very thread.No small part due to Memorial, I was surprised too, I would have guessed somewhere in Dallas or even River Oaks, but they weren't even close. It's the old money of Memorial.

Edited by SpringShadows

By Demographic Center they mean, the richest Zip Code in Texas, the statistics are posted earlier in this very thread.No small part due to Memorial, I was surprised too, I would have guessed somewhere in Dallas or even River Oaks, but they weren't even close. It's the old money of Memorial.

Ah. Therein lies my initial confusion. Demographic center is very different than the median/max/average income of a particular zip code. This guy seems to not know the difference.