CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

I think this is why the ramps were built to be strong enough to support a commuter rail train going down the middle of it.

They definitely did not consider (more likely they ignored) the potential for light or commuter rail to be added when they designed the reconstruction of this corridor. It was a huge mistake, one that we'll have to pay for in the decades to come.

Hopefully not as long as Sugar Land's town center, it looks like they stopped and they still have two empty lots to fill in.

The First Colony developers have a history of saving their most precious lots for something grand. Remember that the tract that Sugar Land Town Square is currently on sat empty for 25 years as development surrounded it. Then they decided to build an urban Town Square.

The lot closest to Hwy 6 is reserved for a high rise condo, the tallest building in Fort Bend County. The lot across from Starbucks and the actual "Town Square" is most likely being saved for a big name, significant tenant once the rest of the spots have filled in.

The Latest Info On CityCentre

Project in west Houston caters to consumers' desires to eat, shop, live and work all within walking distance

Suburban space meets urban style

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

CityCentre to be suburban space with urban style

At one of Houston's busiest intersections, developers are planning to bring a different sort of urban life to 37 acres of mostly vacant land where Town & Country Mall once stood.

Embracing a trend to build urban-style developments in suburban settings, Midway Cos. announced on Thursday its more than $500 million CityCentre project

The Latest Info On CityCentre

Project in west Houston caters to consumers' desires to eat, shop, live and work all within walking distance

Suburban space meets urban style

Nice add to Houston. Such a well placed location, maybe the heart of the dense part of the metro area.

These "town centers" will be such classic examples of early 21st century urbanism and they should endure much longer than the last trend, the enclosed mall, due to a more economically diverse basis.

Nice add to Houston. Such a well placed location, maybe the heart of the dense part of the metro area.

These "town centers" will be such classic examples of early 21st century urbanism and they should endure much longer than the last trend, the enclosed mall, due to a more economically diverse basis.

having ONE successful project such as this will do wonders for building others.

The First Colony developers have a history of saving their most precious lots for something grand. Remember that the tract that Sugar Land Town Square is currently on sat empty for 25 years as development surrounded it. Then they decided to build an urban Town Square.

The lot closest to Hwy 6 is reserved for a high rise condo, the tallest building in Fort Bend County. The lot across from Starbucks and the actual "Town Square" is most likely being saved for a big name, significant tenant once the rest of the spots have filled in.

The actual town center is now gone. It was in Sugar Land, not in First Colony. Does no one else see the ironies in "creating" fake town centers, especially when you kill off the original, authentic ones such as Sugar Land?

Simulacra town centers comprised of chain stores and franchises. The "town center" looks no different in Sugar Land from the newly corporately sponsed town center in Disneyland or Virginia.....

Further proof the proprietor is no longer the backbone of this country.

Edited by nyc_tex

The actual town center is now gone. It was in Sugar Land, not in First Colony. Does no one else see the ironies in "creating" fake town centers, especially when you kill off the original, authentic ones such as Sugar Land?

They have to do something to break the mold of sububan development. They has to at least start something of an edge city to get the ball rolling, the fakeness will soon organically come into it's own.

I support it, franchised out or not, it is still a walk-able environment that is way better than a strip center.

I think it'll be a good development for the area to the extent it encourages a live/ work environment and has a positive impact on (further) sprawl westward. Unfortunately, I won't be able to 'take advantage' of the development since it's so far from DT/ Midtown. But if you like living out that way then this will be a nice alternative.

I think it'll be a good development for the area to the extent it encourages a live/ work environment and has a positive impact on (further) sprawl westward. Unfortunately, I won't be able to 'take advantage' of the development since it's so far from DT/ Midtown. But if you like living out that way then this will be a nice alternative.

They better not pull a HP's on us though and remove some on the residential portions. :angry:

I don't know when Midway is going to start on the City Centre project, but I know that Interfin has already started building Vintage Park Houston. The company built uptown park and are now working on another project in northwest houston. I heard there will be another "Central Market" there and other great high-end retailers. I drove by the other day and noticed that most of the structures are up already. It's a really nice area that most people tend to not noticed as much like the Willowbrook Mall area.... It's going to be a great surprise for HOUSTON!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Does anyone know when Midway is scheduled to start on CityCentre (where T&C mall used to be)? It's been a grassy eyesore for months now. There are signs all around on the cyclone fencing about their financing being approved by Amegy Bank. They were put there in the last month or so.

Anyone have a clue?
:huh:

• 1 month later...

Honestly guys, I thought that's where Memorial Hermann's new 35 story tower was being built; or was that at Gessner? I know it was right in that area. As far as construction goes on the freeway systems, ever heard of double decked freeways? I live in The Woodlands, and on a Sunday morning it takes 25 minutes to get DT. On Monday morning, it's an hour commute sometimes. Have the upper deck be express lanes going to the burbs and the underside be for regular exits and what not. Only have distinct exit points from the upper decks. That way you don't have to keep widening the freeways every two years. Houston is projected by the U.S Census Bureau to grow by 3.7 million people in the next 20 years I believe it was. We'll be in a lot of trouble if they don't do something.

• Like 1

Honestly guys, I thought that's where Memorial Hermann's new 35 story tower was being built; or was that at Gessner?

That was Gessner

I know it was right in that area. As far as construction goes on the freeway systems, ever heard of double decked freeways? I live in The Woodlands, and on a Sunday morning it takes 25 minutes to get DT. On Monday morning, it's an hour commute sometimes. Have the upper deck be express lanes going to the burbs and the underside be for regular exits and what not. Only have distinct exit points from the upper decks. That way you don't have to keep widening the freeways every two years. Houston is projected by the U.S Census Bureau to grow by 3.7 million people in the next 20 years I believe it was. We'll be in a lot of trouble if they don't do something.

They are widening the freeway already, with more HOV lanes. You live here don't you?

on where the Old Town and Country mall was located. I guess this is going to be similar to what Sugarland has kind of with condos, retail shops, and restaurants within a few feet of each other. Click on the video. Interesting report by Sher-min Chow.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/kho...t.3853a54d.html

I've been hearing that the new park downtown is going to be built similarly like this. Retail shops down on the 1st level and residences on the upper floors of buildings surrounding the park. A water fountain, some restaurants, etc. added also.

Edited by icanluv2

on where the Old Town and Country mall was located. I guess this is going to be similar to what Sugarland has kind of with condos, retail shops, and restaurants within a few feet of each other. Click on the video. Interesting report by Sher-min Chow.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/kho...t.3853a54d.html

I've been hearing that the new park downtown is going to be built similarly like this. Retail shops down on the 1st level and residences on the upper floors of buildings surrounding the park. A water fountain, some restaurants, etc. added also.

Thanks for the video. I was looking for it last night.

Too bad all this stuff is for rich people.

Honestly guys, I thought that's where That way you don't have to keep widening the freeways every two years. Houston is projected by the U.S Census Bureau to grow by 3.7 million people in the next 20 years I believe it was. We'll be in a lot of trouble if they don't do something.
Name one freeway in Houston that is widened every two yrs.

As for double decked freeways, the residents/cities along the katy rejected a decked freeway option.

Edited by musicman

Name one freeway in Houston that is widened every two yrs.

As for double decked freeways, the residents/cities along the katy rejected a decked freeway option.

Yep, any freeway with an extensive elevated component is usually unpopular to both residents and commercial interests and is also very expensive, so it is usually just unrealistic.

Yep, any freeway with an extensive elevated component is usually unpopular to both residents and commercial interests and is also very expensive, so it is usually just unrealistic.

Commuter rail is an imperative.

What would commuter rail do that the Metro buses and HOV lane system can't do at least as well?

Yikes! Methinks that just might be the comment that makes this thread that's been teetering on the edge go careening down into full-blown hijack mode.

City Centre... yes, uh, nice-looking project! :unsure: