CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

This is how you do it, puts PTC to shame.

I don't see a grocery store thought, was there supposed to be one. At least a Randalls is close, but not exactly walking distance.

Edited by Pumapayam

CC - Surface lots minimized(reuse of garages), walkabilty to entire site functional

280v6zk.jpg

PTC - Isolated inside surface lots, walkability only within the central area, walking to satellite pad sites discourage, more car-centric.

28k7r10.jpg

Edited by Pumapayam

I don't see a grocery store thought, was there supposed to be one. At least a Randalls is close, but not exactly walking distance.

Bingo! There has always been something that struck me as odd about the whole town centre concept but I could never pinpoint it. The whole idea is to mimic a town--a self contained residential/work space/retail/entertainment unit, right?

With no grocery store, the concept is fundamentally flawed. Do the Woodlands and Sugarland have grocery stores in their TCs?

With no grocery store, the concept is fundamentally flawed. Do the Woodlands and Sugarland have grocery stores in their TCs?

Woodlands Market Street (is that part of the Town Center) does, an HEB. Sugar Land has Whole Foods that is technically in walking distance, but you have to cross under the freeway underpass. Not much fun if you ask me.

Bingo! There has always been something that struck me as odd about the whole town centre concept but I could never pinpoint it. The whole idea is to mimic a town--a self contained residential/work space/retail/entertainment unit, right?

The Woodlands has a HEB Market......but it's not exactly close to the brownstone area. It would be one hell of a walk carrying gorceries.

I think CityCentre is going to have a specialties market.

2mra60y.jpg

This rendering is missing the lovely, upscale chain-link fence that actually divides the Beltway feeder (top) from the Beltway itself (bottom). Hate that nasty thing.

The Randall's isn't too bad of a walk from CityCentre, honestly. There are shaded sidewalks the whole way, no major streets or thoroughfares to cross, and the shortcut around the back of Pines Presbyterian cuts the walk time considerably.

This rendering is missing the lovely, upscale chain-link fence that actually divides the Beltway feeder (top) from the Beltway itself (bottom). Hate that nasty thing.

The Randall's isn't too bad of a walk from CityCentre, honestly. There are shaded sidewalks the whole way, no major streets or thoroughfares to cross, and the shortcut around the back of Pines Presbyterian cuts the walk time considerably.

Yeah and that Randall's has a few 6 seater courtesy golf cart shuttles that I bet will be going back and forth quite a bit into CityCentre. My guess is that they will add more.

Yeah and that Randall's has a few 6 seater courtesy golf cart shuttles that I bet will be going back and forth quite a bit into CityCentre. My guess is that they will add more.

Speaking of golf cart shuttles, what's up with those things in downtown and midtown? I happen to see one of those things parked over at the Front porch a few weeks back.

the largest office building will not break ground until they have at least 50% of it leased... just an fyi. everything else is vertical, though. i've toured it city centre a few times and really like what they're doing. i would like to see a few more local retailers/restaurants/bars come in, so let's hope that happens.

Speaking of golf cart shuttles, what's up with those things in downtown and midtown? I happen to see one of those things parked over at the Front porch a few weeks back.

They're electric taxis and they're free for now. I think they have two or three in operation, but will add more. If you are at a business that has a sticker on the window with a code number on it, all you do is text them with that code and they'll come and pick you up. I think it's an awesome concept, but have yet to ride one.

PTC isn't a town center, it's an outdoor mall.

I whole heartedly agree with you on this, but the developers were compelled to name it as such, Pearland Town Center.

Glorified strip mall indeed.

City Centre is a nice start of an edge city in the likes of Uptown. With Memorial City District expanding, the distance between them will be blurred as developers redo that area between Beltway 8 and Gessner.

Edited by Pumapayam

PTC isn't a town center, it's an outdoor mall.

They're all outdoor malls. Real town centers surround private property with public space. Real town centers have cops instead of security guards. Real town centers scare people.

Edited by memebag

They're all outdoor malls. Real town centers surround private property with public space. Real town centers have cops instead of security guards. Real town centers scare people.

The same people that make right turns from the left lane and change colors with a bum two furlongs away. I, DT resident, know full well.

• 2 weeks later...
I whole heartedly agree with you on this, but the developers were compelled to name it as such, Pearland Town Center.

Glorified strip mall indeed.

City Centre is a nice start of an edge city in the likes of Uptown. With Memorial City District expanding, the distance between them will be blurred as developers redo that area between Beltway 8 and Gessner.

Personally I think these TC concepts in the burbs are great because as Pearland grows, it can replace those surface parking lots with retail, offices, or residential. I don't think it would make much sense to build vertical in Pearland as it currently is. I really do like how Sugarland and The Woodlands have evolved their "city centers." Having those malls in close proximity doesn't hurt. What I would like to see next, hopefully in the near future, is Park&Ride service added.

Edited by dmoneybangbang

• 2 weeks later...

CityCentre Lifetime Fitness opens September 12th, ribbon cutting ceromony on the 10th.

LTM, , ) today announced that the Grand Opening of its newest exclusive and luxurious Life Time Athletic club in Houston's CityCentre development, will occur Friday, September 12, 2008, at 5:00 a.m. This is the Company's first three-story center to open in the country and the fourth Life Time Fitness location in the Houston area, joining the Willowbrook, Cinco Ranch and Sugarland locations.

CityCentre Life Time Athletic members, area residents and special guests are invited to take part in a VIP preview celebration and ribbon cutting ceremony on Wednesday, September 10, 2008, beginning at 6:45 p.m. The event will offer tours of the distinctive, large new three-story facility and feature opportunities to experience program demonstrations and activities.

cc2wh2.th.jpg

The brownstones townhomes are not half bad looking, but wished they made the sidewalks wider though. I think that is the point of it, yet they installed skinny sidewalk that can barely support two people walking abreast.

Idiots who design these developments I tell ya. :rolleyes:

SpringShadows, I want to thank you for taking the time to upload and share your photos with us. The effort is appreciated. :D

Keep up the great work. B)

The brownstones townhomes are not half bad looking, but wished they made the sidewalks wider though. I think that is the point of it, yet they installed skinny sidewalk that can barely support two people walking abreast.

Idiots who design these developments I tell ya. :rolleyes:

SpringShadows, I want to thank you for taking the time to upload and share your photos with us. The effort is appreciated. :D

Keep up the great work. B)

No problem! Thanks for the positive feedback! :D

• 1 month later...

We live a few blocks from City Centre and have joined the LifeTime athletic club. We were previously using Bally's, and there is no comparison. The childcare and facilities are excellent. Of course it costs twice as much, but you get what you pay for. We are looking forward to the Movie Studio Grill and other dining establishments to open.

The two don't compare. One is in a growing suburb, the other in one of the most expensive zip codes in the city, at intersection of major freeways etc. You don't expect something better than PTC in Pearland do you. The developer'd be nuts to do that. Yet PTC is adequate for the area. The people love it. As for it being a 'Town Center', it's not but people don't care.

Eh...The townhomes or brownstone things look cheap and unoriginal if you ask me...

The two don't compare. One is in a growing suburb, the other in one of the most expensive zip codes in the city, at intersection of major freeways etc. You don't expect something better than PTC in Pearland do you. The developer'd be nuts to do that. Yet PTC is adequate for the area. The people love it. As for it being a 'Town Center', it's not but people don't care.

^what I was about to say...

• 3 weeks later...

Old Nancy is reporting again, from Sunday's Chronicle.

Houston is a bright spot for retail developments

The ailing economy is hurting retailers nationwide as consumers tighten their belts amid higher unemployment and harder to get credit.

But in Houston, sales have remained strong, thanks to new jobs and economic growth across all industry sectors, according to a retail report by Holliday Fenoglio Fowler, a mortgage banking firm.

Retail occupancy was flat at the end of the third quarter, averaging 91 percent. That

• 4 weeks later...