CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

Here are my photos so far. I have some more I have to take of this really cool wall they have left standing all by itself. I keep wondering how it stays up because there is nothing to brace it. I guess they are waiting for it to fall on its own. I will head over there this afternoon and add to these.

I took these two weeks ago:

http://www.tropicaltexans.com/images/Houston/tcfeb05.jpg

From the TGI Friday's lot perpendicular to the Tollway.

http://www.tropicaltexans.com/images/Houston/tcfeb05-2.jpg

Same angle.

http://www.tropicaltexans.com/images/Houston/tcfeb05-3.jpg

Dillard's goin' bye-bye.

http://www.tropicaltexans.com/images/Houston/tcfeb05-4.jpg

The backside of the mall--JC Penney is gone already.

• Like 1

Here are my photos so far.  I have some more I have to take of this really cool wall they have left standing all by itself.  I keep wondering how it stays up because there is nothing to brace it.  I guess they are waiting for it to fall on its own.  I will head over there this afternoon and add to these.

I took these two weeks ago:

tcfeb05.jpg

From the TGI Friday's lot perpendicular to the Tollway.

tcfeb05-2.jpg

Same angle.

tcfeb05-3.jpg

Dillard's goin' bye-bye.

tcfeb05-4.jpg

The backside of the mall--JC Penney is gone already.

What is going to replace Towne and Country Mall?

• Like 1

Well, according to the owners/developers, Yazd, Inc, they are going to make it a mixed-use thing.  There is talk of a new grocery store, condos, etc...and apparently it is going to be very ped-friendly.  We'll see!!

Wouldn't it be cool to put a very tall 500'+ condo high rise right there? One of the many things i LOVE about Houston is the liberal zoning laws. It is sort of cool to have a skyscraper next to a cow pasture. Something very Texas....... cool. Not that the area has cows anymore.....but I think you get what I mean. Even a 30 storey tower would stand out.......like Williams Tower does around the Galleria area. (64 storeys with nothing even close in heighth nearby) . Your thoughts?

• Like 1

Sorry, if I am too lazy to check out the place myself, but I saw a commercial on it a while back and the area looked kind of nice, or maybe they were just sugar coating it. From the commercial, I saw more of a pedetrian oriented retail district, rather than a strip mall with oversized parking lots like Uptown Park(which I might add had so much potential if they had built it in an urban design). What exactly does Town & Country Village look like? If you have any pics, that would be great too.

Sorry, if I am too lazy to check out the place myself, but I  saw a commercial on it a while back and the area looked kind of nice, or maybe they were just sugar coating it.  From the commercial, I saw more of a pedetrian oriented retail district, rather than a strip mall with oversized parking lots like Uptown Park(which I might add had so much potential if they had built it in an urban design).  What exactly does Town & Country Village look like?  If you have any pics, that would be great too.

Unfortunately, it is similar to Uptown Park. Actually, Uptown park is slightly more pedestrain-oriented. In T&C, parking lots are even bigger. The buildings in T&C, however, do look nice. As I have often complained, I am tired of over-sized parking lots and waiting for the day when a developer wakes up, smells the coffee, realizes people are getting sick of huge parking lots and builds something that is truely pedestrain-oriented.

T&C Village is essentially just like any other shopping center with nicer looking buildings. Still, it isnt bad, and I prefer it over Uptown park.

• 1 month later...

I thought they were going to stay? Good grief.....

This is very upsetting!!!!!

Houston Business Journal - 12:28 PM CST Thursday

Neiman Marcus to close Town & Country store

The Neiman Marcus Group Inc. is closing its 142,000-square-foot Neiman Marcus store located in the Town & Country Mall.

The store, which opened in 1983, will be closed by mid-September. The Dallas-based luxury retailer added that its 160 employees will be offered transfer opportunities to other stores or will receive severance packages.

"The decision to close this store was very difficult as we value the customer relationships we have established in this market," said Burton Tansky, president and CEO of Neiman Marcus Group. "However, this store did not meet our long term operational goals."

Neiman Marcus has had a presence in the Houston community for more than 35 years with its store located at the Galleria. That store will continue to stay in operation.

The company said Wednesday it is considering putting itself up for sale as it explores ways to boost shareholder value. Neiman (NYSE: NMG) added that it will not disclose developments until its board has approved a transaction. The company has hired Goldman Sachs & Co. as its financial adviser.

• Like 1

I thought they were going to stay?  Good grief.....

This is very upsetting!!!!!

I am so disappointed that they aren't giving the new center that is to be built there a chance.  :(

I did not think they would last with all that demo going on. I think you make a good point. Why not struggle for a year or so until the new development gets going. I know it would be mean poor sales for that store in the meantime, but the end result might have been positive for them.

• Like 1

I care, thats a high class store Houston is losing. But I read somewhere that just because they are closing that store doesn't mean they aren't bringing another store to Houston. So Houston still could have more than one.

So does anyone know what they are doing to that location yet. Will it be like the Atlantic station development in Atlanta?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
So what are they building in place of Town and Country???

We dont know the details but it will be mixed-use development consisting of residential units, offices and retail components. This is just my guess. It would probably be similar to what's planned for Memorial City. If you dont know about that project, a massive $700 millions dollars mixed-use development is planned around Memorial City mall that would consist of office and residential buildings, hotel, open-air retail and entertainment venues such as a cinema. The entire development would cover about 200 some acres. Since T&C is in competition with Memorial City, lets see what they come up with.

By the way, if you havn't been to Houston for a while, there is already a Town and Country Village shopping center nearby.

• Like 1

We dont know the details but it will be mixed-use development consisting of residential units, offices and retail components. This is just my guess. It would probably be similar to what's planned for Memorial City. If you dont know about that project, a massive $700 millions dollars mixed-use development is planned around Memorial City mall that would consist of office and residential buildings, hotel, open-air retail and entertainment venues such as a cinema. The entire development would cover about 200 some acres. Since T&C is in competition with Memorial City, lets see what they come up with.

By the way, if you havn't been to Houston for a while, there is already a Town and Country Village shopping center nearby.

Do we know who owns the new development in Town and Country. I am suprised most of us are still in dark to what they are going to do there. Has Neimans Closed for good?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Guest Plastic

Despite the fact that we disagree on where Houston's central buisness district is we all knwo where TOwn&COuntry Mall is.

That or the remnats. Neiman Marcus is the only thing open from what I understand. They're going to close it. After it's torn down, what are the plans for the area where the mall will have once been..

The entire Town and Country center is to be raised. I think the Nieman Marcus building may be stayed, but I thought it's gone too. There were proposals to build a town center or lifestyle type of mixed-use development.