Singapore Airlines

VicMan

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...iz/5374832.htmlSingapore Airlines is coming to Houston! It will fly Houston-Moscow-Singapore.I would have thought that SQ would have flown through Taipei instead of Moscow, but I see why SQ is using this routing :)
Wow awsome! First Emirates... and now Qatar Airlines to Qatar and Singapore Airlines to Moscow and Singapore... great news for Houston!!
Excellent airline. I flew with them from Manchester to Bombay/Mumbai return. Best service I've ever had. If only they stopped off at London!
You can take BA or Continental to London... I like that they are going to Moscow since you can't as of now fly direct from Houston to Moscow.

I would like China Airlines to reconsider their decision to end the Houston-Taipei route next spring.

ehh, i was upset at first but we are getting SIA, and that is WAY better than CI. KE will most likely move to IAH from DFW or operate both routes; QR is a definate and X9 is still stating they will start service, its just delayed. plus our regular int'l carriers from europe will definately increase frequencies and routes as well...

I would like China Airlines to reconsider their decision to end the Houston-Taipei route next spring.

CI (or EVA Air) ought to consider getting equipment for nonstop flights to Houston. Keep in mind EVA Air has the alliance connection with Continental, so it would have more benefits from a Houston route.

Is it possible to fly a commercial airliner non-stop from Houston to Singapore? As I recall, the longest current commercial flight is Newark to Singapore at something like 23 hours. Is it economics, or fuel capacity that keep flights from going direct?

Is it possible to fly a commercial airliner non-stop from Houston to Singapore? As I recall, the longest current commercial flight is Newark to Singapore at something like 23 hours. Is it economics, or fuel capacity that keep flights from going direct?

they have specially equipped A345's (Airbus 350's) that seat 181 passengers, that fly out of EWR (Newark) (8,285NM) and LAX (Los Angelos) and fly it non-stop. i believe that it could make it. the reason it is stopping in DME (Domodedovo International Airport) is that it will be the first non-stop flight between two energy capitals, and onto the energy capital of SE Asia (Singapore). the first leg of the route will be a killing (both pax and cargo), especially because Singapore Airlines is using its new 77W's (777-300ER) which has its brand new First, Business and Economy products. http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/cont...p/new/index.jsp (ignore Singapore Airlines Suites as that is only for the Airbus 380).

You can take BA or Continental to London... I like that they are going to Moscow since you can't as of now fly direct from Houston to Moscow.

I've flown Continental and BA to London mulitple times. Service on both airlines has fallen off in recent years IMHO. A little more competition wouldn't hurt.

I've never flown with Virgin although what I've heard from other people has been favorable. Is there talk of their adding a Houston/London route? For a 9 hour flight with two small kids I'll spend my bucks (within reason) on any airline that goes the extra mile to make the flight more pleasant. They fly from the usual suspects: Miami, LA SF, Chicago, NY (2), but not Houston - seems that despite its economy it remains the Rodney Dangerfield of international air travel from the US, at least where Europe is concerned. I read recently that that sterling-wielding UK citizens are making a killing shopping in New York - if they find out how much further their pounds would go in Houston, maybe we will eventually get more airlines stopping off here.

sorry, a little off topic...

Sidegate, do you think Virgin Atlantic should start flying to Houston?

i don't believe they will ever fly here. VS tends to fly to leisure markets and they also tend to favor 'trendy' destinations. plus there is already too much competition from CO and BA, especially now with open skies...but i will still take SIA over VS... :D

• 3 weeks later...
Branson's a shrewd businessman, I would think he'd fly anywhere that would make money for his shareholders. Chicago is trendier than Houston, sure, but not in the NYC/SF/LA league.

Shrewd is stretching it a bit. His VS venture hasn't failed yet, so he's done better than most airline presidents. But being profitable is another matter. As far as coming to IAH. I doubt it.

VS is not really a growth airline, they don't have the aircraft and IAH London is more of a bussiness market.

If all goes well IAH-DME will go daily. SQ offers a lot of product for the money, so I think savy IAH flyers will have a hard time passing up SQ for a US or European airline to Moscow.

Shrewd is stretching it a bit. His VS venture hasn't failed yet, so he's done better than most airline presidents. But being profitable is another matter. As far as coming to IAH. I doubt it.

You're right -- Branson runs the routes he likes, not necessarily the ones that make money. When you have his bank account you can afford to run the margins thin. A lot of unusual airlines have started landing in Chicago lately -- ANA, Jazz, Alaska, BMI, Cayman, Virgin. I think because of the weak dollar tourists from other countries who look at New York and LA and say "been there, done that" are becoming more adventurous. Chicago is quickly becoming the Manchester (England) of the United States and regaining its "Second City" title.

VS is not really a growth airline, they don't have the aircraft and IAH London is more of a bussiness market.

Do you mean specifically Virgin America or all of the Virgin brands? How many are there now? Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Blue, Pacific Blue, Polynesia Blue, V, Virgin Nigeria, AirAsia, did I miss any?

If all goes well IAH-DME will go daily. SQ offers a lot of product for the money, so I think savy IAH flyers will have a hard time passing up SQ for a US or European airline to Moscow.

It would be interesting to see some more Russian cultural bonds develop with Houston. Does Houston have a Russian enclave?

Does Houston have a Russian enclave?

Maybe. There's a Russian "general store" on Hillcroft near Braeswood, and 1213 Russians report living in 77096. A Russian co-worker said a lot of Russians live in this area (Meyerland/Westbury).

Do you mean specifically Virgin America or all of the Virgin brands? How many are there now? Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Blue, Pacific Blue, Polynesia Blue, V, Virgin Nigeria, AirAsia, did I miss any?

The airline brands that exist include:

* Virgin Atlantic Airways (international from the UK)

* Virgin America (United States) - Per US law most of the company is held by Americans

* Virgin Blue (Australia)

** Pacific Blue Airlines (New Zealand)

** Polynesian Blue (Samoa)

** In addition V Australia has plans to begin in 2008 - US still has to approve the airline

* Virgin Nigeria (Nigeria)

* AirAsia X (Malaysia)

Brand that no longer exist:

* Virgin Express (Belgium) - Merged with SN Brussels Airlines into Brussels Airlines on March 25, 2007

Do you mean specifically Virgin America or all of the Virgin brands?

I meant Virgin Atlantic (VS). Outside of England the only other country they fly to in Europe is Scotland, and that's only on a seasonal basis. Their fleet is less than 40 aircraft and they tend to focus on tourist cities or the visiting friends or family crowd for their destinations. So, IAH doesn't really fit in their plans right now. IF VS hadn't deffered their A380 deliveries untill next decade there could have been a possibility of VS moving some aircraft around and opening up some new destinations in North America maybe even IAH.

Virgin Nigeria (VK) on the other hand does have shot of starting IAH service. But we will just have to wait and see on that one.

Has anyone priced IAH-DME-IAH on SQ? Cheapest fares i've found were all less than 800. I think that's a pretty good price for what SQ offers in coach.

So what is the travel time from Houston to Moscow to Singapore? I usually fly Houston to LA to Singapore, although I was going to try the Newark route next time as I heard it takes the same amout of air time but isn't quite as packed as the LA flight.

Although since my actual destination is usually KL, I'm thinking of trying the Houston to Tokyo to KL flight here in a few weeks.

So what is the travel time from Houston to Moscow to Singapore? I usually fly Houston to LA to Singapore, although I was going to try the Newark route next time as I heard it takes the same amout of air time but isn't quite as packed as the LA flight.

Although since my actual destination is usually KL, I'm thinking of trying the Houston to Tokyo to KL flight here in a few weeks.

I used to fly SIA (b/t 1993-1998) IAH-LAX/SFO-HKG (Kai Tak-Hong Kong)-SIN (Singapore)-CGK(Jakarta) and that took around 38-42 hours. :wacko: The IAH-DME-SIN route is 22-23 hours. The layover in Moscow will be (from what i have heard) around 1 hour. I really wish we had SIA when i used to live in jakarta. that would have shortened the trip by about 15 hours...

• 2 months later...
Scheduled to arrive at 10:20 pm... i have friends coming into town from Canada at 9:20... too bad they will be getting into crappy terminal A... no chance of seeing anything.

it is arriving at 9:25 this evening.

I am picking up someone arriving on this flight.

Ever taken the bus from SIN to KL? It's supposed to be fantastic.

Archived