Voting, Houston, Elections ... Where The Hell Am I?

houstonmacbro

I live in northern Harris County, have a Houston address, pay Houston city taxes, Spring ISD school taxes and get water from a MUD (#86 to be exact). Sheriff Pct. 4 services my area (south of FM 1960 @ Ella Blvd ... just west of I-45 north).

While I have a Houston address, I do not remember seeing voting for the mayor or city council members as an option when I went to the polls in November. Additionally, I was not able to vote in the run-off elections for city council.

I know I sound really uniformed, but am I really IN Houston or in some grey zone of politics out here? Do I have a city council representative or mayoral representative?

Thanks for not flaming me ... I really don't know what is what out here.

I live in northern Harris County, have a Houston address, pay Houston city taxes, Spring ISD school taxes and get water from a MUD (#86 to be exact). Sheriff Pct. 4 services my area (south of FM 1960 @ Ella Blvd ... just west of I-45 north).

While I have a Houston address, I do not remember seeing voting for the mayor or city council members as an option when I went to the polls in November. Additionally, I was not able to vote in the run-off elections for city council.

I know I sound really uniformed, but am I really IN Houston or in some grey zone of politics out here? Do I have a city council representative or mayoral representative?

Thanks for not flaming me ... I really don't know what is what out here.

There are a few--very few--MUDs in incorporated municipalities, so if you're paying taxes to the MUD, you probably aren't paying taxes to the City of Houston.

Pull the HCAD data on your home and see what entities you're paying taxes to. Those are the ones you're located within.

I am not paying MUD taxe. I pay MUD water.

I suppose its possible that the City of Houston just didn't want to pump its own water to serve your neighborhood, so it bought some excess capacity from a nearby MUD, and you're just paying user fees.

If you're paying City taxes, you're in the City.

Looks like you live in unincorporated Harris County, most likely within the Houston ETJ.
ETJ?
There is a very small sliver of Spring ISD within the City of Houston (that is zoned to DeKaney) - the rest of SISD is unincorporated.Macbro, it seems that you do not live in a city - Only in a county and a state :)
(If I had kids) they'd be zoned to Westfield I think.Weird that on the COH's website that has the zip code finder, our zip code is one of those listed.

Archived