High Speed Chase

JLWM8609

Ok, I'm watching the news, they broke in about 20 mins ago for a high speed chase. He's been all down OST, Wayside, Polk, San Jacinto, N Main, Houston Ave, Airline, North Loop, and they still haven't stopped him It looks like they had a chance when he turned up into Produce Row off of OST when he made a U turn, but it looked like they backed off instead of blocking his path on a empty side street. Could've ended long ago on that empty side street. He's off in the River Oaks area now. What's up with HPD's chase policies? Are they in bed with the news shows to provide "entertainment"? <_<

Whoa, I was just about to go downtown. I think I'll wait till this guy is outta there. Looks like he's on Crawford now near the HP construction site.. Whoa he just hit somebody! Yeah, I'm going to stay home for a bit. There are sparks coming out of his car too.

At one point, it looked like something out of The Blues Brothers, all those cruisers behind him. He's still going, hood all bent up, riding on bare rims.Ok, that has to be the most comical end to a high speed chase I've ever seen. He takes off running, spotlight's on him. Then he slows down, then comes to a stop. A police officer tackles him, then a german shepherd darts and bites down, and like 4-5 more cops tackle him, and they take the spotlight off (prob so they can't broadcast the ensuing beatdown).

The driver would should realize that as soon as there is a newscopter above, youv'e had it. There's no escape.

Jumping out and running is like when the dentist used to chase the kid's around the dental office. There is no escape.

It's the killing innocent people that irks me.

We knew a family that was coming from church, cops were in pursuit of a stolen truck (idiot). The thief ran the intersection hit this family killing the grandmother, daughter, son and left the youngest girl/child an invalid. The thief was slightly bruised and all for a truck. :angry:

Warn your families of intersections, etc. especially during holidays.

That was interesting. I was letting the dog run around at the park like I always do when I get home from work, and there were cops with sirens all over the place. One of my neighbors tells me about the chase and how he was just on Crawford a few minutes ago. The park I was at borders Crawford. Quickly, I called my fiance to make sure she wasnt in the immediate area. Fortunately she hadnt left work yet.

When he was on Webster running through Midtown, the helicopter reporter on 13 couldnt figure out where the chase was at.... I kept yelling, "He is on Webster!!!"

Its a shame the police aren't allowed to cut him off. There were several spots, and times of low speed, where they could have gotten the chase over with. Think how many people he could have killed during the red light running and how many cops got pulled from other areas to "follow him until he stopped." It looked like 20 cars at the end. Its not like HPD has a ton of officers to spare. Its a BAD policy.

I wondered what was going on.... Was stopped at the light on Leeland at Chartres slighlty after 6 and looked to my right and out of nowhere, about 10 police cars go sceaming past a block over, and the helicopter sounded as if it were right on top of me. Turns out is practically was. I can always count on the HAIF for the latest news!

Ha! I knew I should've checked here last night. I was coming home from work, going south on 610. I saw two cruisers drafting a POS going northbound and just figured it for a drug bust gone bad. And then... 4 more cruisers, an ambulance, a chopper. It was just like Blues Brothers, JLW. ;)

Did y'all see the tackle the cop put on this guy when he was running away? They showed it real well on Channel 2. This cop looked like a linebacker coming full speed at a QB, but without the pads! It was awesome!

LOL. When had the same comments in our house when we saw that.

I bet is shoulder didn't feel too good this morning.

What a lame excuse. Why accelerate if your brake is broken? And why try to run when you get out of your car?

Luckily nobody was hurt, but I saw him hit several other cars live on TV.

Hilarious. But yes, it is a good thing no one was hurt. I am all for chasing the bad guys but not doing high speed chases through residential areas.

Does everyone think OnStar system helps to prevent this madness?

I saw an article about this in a newspaper recently. If I remember correctly, the current generation of OnStar vehicles doesn't have the ability to be remotely disabled. But either there's a new version coming out that can, or police are pushing for a new version that can or something.

The article wandered off into some Big Brother scenarios for a while and I lost interest.

I found a similar article at ABC News. It says that 1.7 million cars will get this starting in 2009.

For my money, the best police chase in Houston was right around 2000. Some guy stole a black pick-up truck from a washateria. In the front passenger seat there was a baby in a car seat so all of the police agencies were freaking.

This guy was tearing down the freeways for close to 30 minutes. When he got to the 610 bridge over the Ship Channel I'm not sure if there was construction, or if it's normally like this, but the right side of the rightmost lane was lined with Jersey barrier topped by chain-link fence.

I don't know if it was God or wind or he just looked over his shoulder wrong, but the truck (headed north) suddenly swerved to the left.. then he overcorrected and it swerved to the right... hard into the Jersey barrier. Without a seatbelt, he was flung to the right, over the baby, half-way out the window where the chain-link fence passing by at 60 MPH was like an industrial cheese-grater and his head was a knob of soft gouda.

11 was the only station to show the instant justice live on TV. Everyone else had pulled back earlier.

The baby ended up being fine, and I assume the alligators ate well that night.

I found a similar article at ABC News. It says that 1.7 million cars will get this starting in 2009.

For my money, the best police chase in Houston was right around 2000. Some guy stole a black pick-up truck from a washateria. In the front passenger seat there was a baby in a car seat so all of the police agencies were freaking.

This guy was tearing down the freeways for close to 30 minutes. When he got to the 610 bridge over the Ship Channel I'm not sure if there was construction, or if it's normally like this, but the right side of the rightmost lane was lined with Jersey barrier topped by chain-link fence.

I don't know if it was God or wind or he just looked over his shoulder wrong, but the truck (headed north) suddenly swerved to the left.. then he overcorrected and it swerved to the right... hard into the Jersey barrier. Without a seatbelt, he was flung to the right, over the baby, half-way out the window where the chain-link fence passing by at 60 MPH was like an industrial cheese-grater and his head was a knob of soft gouda.

11 was the only station to show the instant justice live on TV. Everyone else had pulled back earlier.

The baby ended up being fine, and I assume the alligators ate well that night.

Funny you could find that story! I remember it so well. The fence grinded well that fateful day.

Whenever I see these younger thieves trying to elude police, I have to think they think its as easy as what they grew up with seeing in movies or video games. There must be some kind of brainwashing that fuels the stupid actions of these fools. Wonder what a college professor or psycholgist would say? :mellow:

Yeah...gruesome:

Worley was the first officer to approach the truck: "When I opened the door I didn't see any sign of the suspect."

It took deputies and officers a few seconds to realize what had happened.

"We went up to get him, and there was no carjacker," Worley said. "But we saw the kids, and we just grabbed them and got them out real quick."

Worley said the impact apparently caused the man's body to shoot out through the passenger-side window.

[...]

KTRK, Channel 13, showed the crash and the man's body leaving the truck. The station, an ABC affiliate, replayed the footage, but decided not to show it again.

"When it happened, it went by so fast, nobody believed it was as graphic as it was," said Channel 13 news director Bill Bouyer. "It was a fairly wide shot, but I think once people saw it on replay, they realized it was not something we need to show again."

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=1999_3157591

The driver would should realize that as soon as there is a newscopter above, youv'e had it. There's no escape.

I disagree...If we are simply talking about getting away from the helicopter, a smart fugitive would escape.

Head towards the galleria... enter one of a dozen parking garage entrances, fade away.

Head towards downtown... enter any garage attached to the tunnel system, fade away.

If you're in the north part of town, head to the airport, into a garage... fade away.

All of the above, assuming you're smart enough to be driving a stolen car and smart enough not to leave behind fingerprints or anything else.. evasion and escape would be easy. Luckily for the cops and newscopters, most people being chased either aren't smart to being with, or lose their cool and their brains.

Its a shame the police aren't allowed to cut him off. There were several spots, and times of low speed, where they could have gotten the chase over with. Think how many people he could have killed during the red light running and how many cops got pulled from other areas to "follow him until he stopped." It looked like 20 cars at the end. Its not like HPD has a ton of officers to spare. Its a BAD policy.

Agreed. They had the PERFECT opportunity to get him when he was going down OST and turned off onto Produce Row. Produce Row is a dead end. When he turned around, they could've blocked him from getting back onto OST, but it almost appeared as if they didn't want to get a scratch on their cars, or maybe they could have pit manuevered him there, since Produce Row looked pretty deserted at that hour.

Sigh. It's a downright shame that police cannot "take-out" someone in this situation. If not for evading arrest and theft of a vehicle then for stupidity. (Thinking he could get away in the first place). Instead he'll be back out on the streets, stealing more cars, by this time next year.

What ever happened to the SPIKE thingy they throw at the tires? Are they pollitically incorrect and in-humane like everything else these days too? Maybe the idea of tossing spikes will hurt the escapee's feeling or offend him? :blush:
I think this guys tires were spiked.
Sigh. It's a downright shame that police cannot "take-out" someone in this situation. If not for evading arrest and theft of a vehicle then for stupidity. (Thinking he could get away in the first place). Instead he'll be back out on the streets, stealing more cars, by this time next year.
I wonder why there is never any talk of minimum sentences for running from the police? In a car at least and regardless of your reason for running. 5 years? 10 years maybe?

Archived