Local Charm Club Owner, Rory Miggins, Dies

If anyone has been around Houston for the last 25 years or so, and you are a blues fan, you probably knew Rory Miggins, former owner of The Local Charm on Telephone Rd. He passed away yesterday of cancer at the age of 50, and his father Larry, played for the Houston Buffs-bopth St. Thomas grads as well:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2007/1...ory_miggins.php

If anyone has been around Houston for the last 25 years or so, and you are a blues fan, you probably knew Rory Miggins, former owner of The Local Charm on Telephone Rd. He passed away yesterday of cancer at the age of 50, and his father Larry, played for the Houston Buffs-bopth St. Thomas grads as well:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2007/1...ory_miggins.php

Thanks for the link. I used to go there for happy hour when my girlfriend worked the "lunch shift". Cozy lil place. I've been seeing Rory around the music scene for quite awhile.. last time I saw him was at the Archie Bell/Roy Head show at Continental.

Can someone provide a link to Houston Chronicle B pg 5 Please. I'll learn to do it sometimes soon.

We talked of going to club, but club closed before procastination turned into reality. He was true icon of East End. Article tells of "Miggins hard work tohelp older black musicians who had once been prominent in Houston's musical nightlife. Houston was a major center for blues, rythm & blues ranking with Chicago, Memphis & New Orleans". Are there still any good r, & r&b clubs around that play the old-fashioned music? Article also says Miggins planned to make a documentary about Houston's port scene, but illness halted these plans. A document on the East End & Port scene is needed as we're losing many with knowledge of both.

Was Lorino's prior at corner of Lawndale & Telephone across from Rufus Cage Elementary. Ice, ice cold Lone Star beer 6 pack $2.15 Building is still there and the lady that bought the home behind it said she was tossing out piles of ceiling high junk collected over the years. Now that was about a year ago, folks. :closedeyes:

Archived