Just Bought The Sony Vgc-lt19u And Love It

Just bought the new Sony VGC-LT19U desktop, and man I really love this machine. No tower or cables to deal with, works great and has room to spare. Wife is retiring from teaching at the end of this school year and is going to pursue her love of photography and start herself a small business. This PC will fill all the needs of this and some. The 22" wide-screen allows a lot of room to multi-task on without stacking windows up.

If you are in the market for a new desktop I would highly recommend this one or at least it's little brother the VGC-LT15E, it will spoil you. Been a big VAIO fan for a few years now, all our laptops are VAIO's and ordered this one from Sony and I am very very happy with it. Vista is a change I am getting use to, but the hardware is great. Upgraded the memory to 4gb, and got the 3 years in house service plan. Hard to beat as far as i am concerned.

DSC00142.jpg

good luck with the viao. two people i know have had em about 2 yrs and have had major failures such as hard drive/motherboard.

I bought a Vaio (desktop) several years ago. The motherboard had a crack in it. I tried to get it replaced under warranty and they said it would take a month to ship a new motherboard. I said that wasn't acceptable and eventually got them to replace it within a week, but it took a lot of phone calls to Sony. After they put in the new motherboard, none of the Vaio specific software (like media players, system backup, etc.) would run anymore. It complained that it could only run on a Vaio, and my PC wasn't a Vaio.

I tried to upgrade the graphics and found that the PSU was too small. I bought a new PSU and found that the case had a nonstandard PSU form factor. So I had to buy a new case.

I usually build my own, but thought I would give the Vaio a try. Now I've gone back to building my own.

Well I guess I have just been lucky. By business has had 7 laptops, all of which are 3 plus yrs old with the exception of one that is just under a year, not one blip from any of them. Only had this new one here for a few days, but that's why I bought the warranty to cover any glitches since I am unfamiliar with this model and style. The Laptops have been great though. This thing has a NVIDIA GeForce Series 8700 1080p HD GPU, I am thinking I will be good on graphics. I do not game so that isn't an issue. My wife will be doing HD Video editing on it, that's the only reason I went that route. I really don't know if it really makes any difference either way. All I know that it looks good and the picture quality looks as good as my Mitsubishi DLP TV.

Well I will keep my fingers crossed.

Just bought the new Sony VGC-LT19U desktop, and man I really love this machine. No tower or cables to deal with, works great and has room to spare. Wife is retiring from teaching at the end of this school year and is going to pursue her love of photography and start herself a small business. This PC will fill all the needs of this and some. The 22" wide-screen allows a lot of room to multi-task on without stacking windows up.

If you are in the market for a new desktop I would highly recommend this one or at least it's little brother the VGC-LT15E, it will spoil you. Been a big VAIO fan for a few years now, all our laptops are VAIO's and ordered this one from Sony and I am very very happy with it. Vista is a change I am getting use to, but the hardware is great. Upgraded the memory to 4gb, and got the 3 years in house service plan. Hard to beat as far as i am concerned.

DSC00142.jpg

Is that an all-in-one like the iMac? Looks like a sweet machine!

good luck with the viao. two people i know have had em about 2 yrs and have had major failures such as hard drive/motherboard.
Good luck indeed. We had about 25 vaio laptops at work and they all died an early death. Our (pre Lenovo)ThinkPads just keep rolling along.
My wife will be doing HD Video editing on it, that's the only reason I went that route. I really don't know if it really makes any difference either way.
Memory, HDD speed and capacity and most importantly CPU speed are what really matters when it comes to video editing. I'd suggest 2GB of memory or more, a WD Raptor drive and a quad core CPU for hardcore video editing. Its a shame you'll be hard pressed to upgrade that machine due to its form factor requiring mostly non-standard parts.

Is that an all-in-one like the iMac? Looks like a sweet machine!

Yes it is the All in one, no tower or cables, just one power cord, very clean. Blue tooth keyboard and mouse, very nice.

Good luck indeed. We had about 25 vaio laptops at work and they all died an early death. Our (pre Lenovo)ThinkPads just keep rolling along.Memory, HDD speed and capacity and most importantly CPU speed are what really matters when it comes to video editing. I'd suggest 2GB of memory or more, a WD Raptor drive and a quad core CPU for hardcore video editing. Its a shame you'll be hard pressed to upgrade that machine due to its form factor requiring mostly non-standard parts.

Like I said I have had nothing but good luck with the VAIO's. I had a Think Pad, went south on me, several years ago. My wife's HP lap top crapped out in two years, (not really that surprising knowing about their assembly QA/QC) The think pad I was rather ticked about, IBM makes good stuff normally, so I bought my first VAIO 4 years ago, and have been hooked ever since. have currently 7 in the workforce all with 3+ years of duty and still going strong.

I am pretty sure the HD on this one is a Western Digital I'll have to pull out the build sheet to verify that. I am stuck with the Duo Core 3.2 but if she gets really heavy into the Video Editing I will most likely upgrade her with an Alienware 8550 it has two quad-core 2.66 Xeon CPUs with 1GB of L2 cache and 8GB of RAM. I have my son looking into that for me or for her rather. This was just a lot less investment if this new thing of hers doesn't last. My son has an Alienware liquid cooled monster that he games on at his apartment. I just like the clean look of the all-in-one. And the 22" wide-screen isn't too bad wither. And the warranty even covers mishandling, so if it falls off the desk it's covered. You never know........

I am pretty sure the HD on this one is a Western Digital I'll have to pull out the build sheet to verify that. I am stuck with the Duo Core 3.2 but if she gets really heavy into the Video Editing I will most likely upgrade her with an Alienware 8550 it has two quad-core 2.66 Xeon CPUs with 1GB of L2 cache and 8GB of RAM. I have my son looking into that for me or for her rather. This was just a lot less investment if this new thing of hers doesn't last. My son has an Alienware liquid cooled monster that he games on at his apartment. I just like the clean look of the all-in-one. And the 22" wide-screen isn't too bad wither. And the warranty even covers mishandling, so if it falls off the desk it's covered. You never know........

The WD Raptor has more in common with an enterprise class SCSI drive than it does their normal desktop drives.

Don't waste your money on Alienware....just wait for a Dell or HP on sale.

We are also looking at an Apple G5, I have a friend that's into CGI animation and that's what he swears by. He said he would line me out with a dual processor G5 when and if we get ready for that. He said the way an Apple handles video and processes it is second to none. Beats me really, I am happy with the VAIO, but I am neither an expert nor pretend to be. But when that time comes, I will research it quite a bit before forking out that much for a computer. HP I will pass on hands down. Michael Dell and I have a history of bad blood, I use to swear by him before I got jerked around by the North Mopac Kid.

HP I will pass on hands down. Michael Dell and I have a history of bad blood, I use to swear by him before I got jerked around by the North Mopac Kid.

I will never buy a preassembled system again. I've always had better experiences building PCs myself. When you build it yourself, you know exactly what's going into it, and you get full documentation on each component.

If you can't put it together yourself (and you probably can, it isn't that hard), befriend a geek. Buy him a Doctor Who action figure and put him to work.

We are also looking at an Apple G5, I have a friend that's into CGI animation and that's what he swears by. He said he would line me out with a dual processor G5 when and if we get ready for that. He said the way an Apple handles video and processes it is second to none. Beats me really, I am happy with the VAIO, but I am neither an expert nor pretend to be. But when that time comes, I will research it quite a bit before forking out that much for a computer. HP I will pass on hands down. Michael Dell and I have a history of bad blood, I use to swear by him before I got jerked around by the North Mopac Kid.

I'm a Mac person and wouldn't buy anything else, HOWEVER I think you made a very good decision. I always tell people to buy what works for them.

It's kinda like buying a vehicle. Why by a car if you really need a truck. Similarly, if Ford is more suited to you or your family's budget then why by a Porshe. However, if you want all the bells and whistles and can afford it, why get the Mbenz...

In other words, use it. Enjoy it.

I'm a Mac person and wouldn't buy anything else, HOWEVER I think you made a very good decision. I always tell people to buy what works for them.

I agree. I think you're doing the smart thing to wait and see if your wife will even need the full potential of this machine, before running out and dropping 3k+ on a custom build.

Archived