Best Public Bathroom

houstonmacbro

When the call of nature strikes, and you really MUST sit on a toilet away from home, which place do find the least offensive and actually kinda nice.

Personally, I find just about all bathrooms away from home gross, but if I had to go,

The most gross:

Home Depot (gross)

Target (strangely gross)

Chili's (the most gross)

The most pleasant:

Cheesecake Factory

Hotel Derek

When the call of nature strikes, and you really MUST sit on a toilet away from home, which place do find the least offensive and actually kinda nice.

Personally, I find just about all bathrooms away from home gross, but if I had to go,

The most gross:

Home Depot (gross)

Target (strangely gross)

Chili's (the most gross)

The most pleasant:

Cheesecake Factory

Hotel Derek

I wonder which Home Depot, Target and Chili's you go to. The Home Depot(s), Target(s) and Chili's (all) near us are all some of the cleanest ones around. I can't speak as to C.F. or H. D. as I don't get much chance to "go" there! :P

I'm surprised you asked this, I'm actually a public restroom enthusiast.

I love pretty much all skyscraper bathrooms. I don't know why but there's just something special about defacating 70 stories high.

My favorite p.r. would have to be the one on the ground floor of the Post Rice Lots. Each person gets his own fully enclosed stall complete with a wooden door that locks. Very private and comfortable and a plus for those people who like to have a "pick me up" every now and then.

The worst?

Sheffields Ice House on Telephone rd.

toilet.jpg

The most gross:

Home Depot (gross)

Target (strangely gross)

Chili's (the most gross)

The most pleasant:

Cheesecake Factory

Hotel Derek

Is it true that the Hotel Derek has a unisex bathroom? Someone i heard told me that their bar has a unisex bathroom. Reminds me of that show Ally McBeal.

The Venitian in Las Vegas has the best I've seen. In Houston, Dillards at The Galleria. They are original to the building so they are old, but well maintained. The walls are concrete and tile so the stalls have not been shrunk down so you shoulders touch each side and the doors open to the outside so a 6'2' 300 pound guy like me doesn't have to climb on top of the tank to open it to get out.

joe

Gee, thanks for posting that.

For that matter, it's hard to believe someone would even start a topic like this on HAIF. <_<

What? Bathrooms are, aside from kitchens, the most expensive single component of most structures. Discussion of them ought to be encouraged more often on an architecture forum.

For that matter, it's hard to believe someone would even start a topic like this on HAIF. <_<

Nothing shocks any more on this forum, and yes we can do with out pics.

I imagine the question is best RR's in Houston? I see las Vegas and others mentioned just wondering.

Those truck stop/gas stations places all over Texas called "Bucee's" have the biggest, widest, numerous stall, super clean ones I have ever seen while travelling with the family. Get to hear pleasant elevator music while in there too. Nice aromatic/fragrant scents too! Best part of all, no foot tapping at least that we know of. :lol: Happy Holidays!

luling.jpg

I can't even count the number of times I've driven 1-10 between Houston and San Antonio, and I heart Bucees! Nothing says Texas truck stop like cheap ice, deer corn and 8 kinds of kolaches. And yes the bathrooms kick butt. They have little hand sanitizer dispensers in every stall.

The only thing missing is an attendant with a counter full of warm towels, lotions and hair spray, perfume, mouthwash etc. Most people dislike them, but I wish more bars and restaurants, malls, etc. let the attendants set up shop. I'm happy to give someone a couple of bucks if they've got what I need at exactly the right time.

I can't even count the number of times I've driven 1-10 between Houston and San Antonio, and I heart Bucees! Nothing says Texas truck stop like cheap ice, deer corn and 8 kinds of kolaches. And yes the bathrooms kick butt. They have little hand sanitizer dispensers in every stall.

The only thing missing is an attendant with a counter full of warm towels, lotions and hair spray, perfume, mouthwash etc. Most people dislike them, but I wish more bars and restaurants, malls, etc. let the attendants set up shop. I'm happy to give someone a couple of bucks if they've got what I need at exactly the right time.

That Buccee's is great but the new TxDOT rest areas on I-10 are pretty nice now, too. They have been clean everytime we have been there. We like the playground for the kiddos. The new building is pretty cool too, feels like a lodge.

The Surfside Buccee's can get pretty scungy in the summer.

Not in Houston, but the bathrooms in Shoji Tabuchi's theatre in Branson, MO, are a tourist attraction in themselves:

http://community.iexplore.com/photos/journ...otos/Shoji3.jpg

That's the ladies sinks. I couldn't find a decent pic of the mens, but they have about twenty black porcelain urinals with !ice! in each one.

Ice? Wow, that sounds extravagant.

The Hobby Center has nice expansive and even private rrooms. There nothing better than walking into their rrooms and having your choice of what 20 or so?

and all clean as a whistle.

Sure beats seeing 1-2 stalls with cracks in the door so wide you may as well leave open! Whoa! Much too much! :lol: (stripper song in background)

Not in Houston, but the bathrooms in Shoji Tabuchi's theatre in Branson, MO, are a tourist attraction in themselves:

http://community.iexplore.com/photos/journ...otos/Shoji3.jpg

That's the ladies sinks. I couldn't find a decent pic of the mens, but they have about twenty black porcelain urinals with !ice! in each one.

Shoji3.jpg

Boy, if THAT aint hillbilly craptacular, I don't know what is! :blink:

Branson...Mecca for NASCAR.

Ice? Wow, that sounds extravagant.

Pretty common, even in dive bars; helps in odor reduction, and thwarts non-flushers.

Also, it's rather like recreating some scenes from "An Inconvenient Truth", if you have sufficient bladder capacity.

Also, it's rather like recreating some scenes from "An Inconvenient Truth", if you have sufficient bladder capacity.

I've heard that in some European restrooms they do not even have water in the urinals. Some sort of oil I think helps keep the bowls slick enough to wash down the urine. Apparently, there is also no odor.

Any Big Bend fans remember the "toilet" behind the Park Bar in Boquillas del Carmen?

The men's urinals were a concrete trough built against two walls (just two walls, not four, it wasn't enclosed and there's no roof)...the drain went out the back side of the wall and down the hill.

For women, they were stuck with the outhouse build on the side of the hill. It was actually enclosed...except for the bottom...which again went down the side of the hill.

We always had so much fun there it didn't matter. Damn Feds.

My father told me a story about getting a service call to unstop a watercloset in the women's public toilet room at the Texas State Hotel. This was in the early 60's. He sent one of his downtown servicemen over to the hotel to take care of the quick job. When the guy didn't return after awhile he went to check on him. He found the plumber on the floor in front the stopped up toilet, all red faced and scared. He had apparently run his auger into the bowl and partially pulled out a fetus. The guy was a mess, thinking "he" had killed it. Dad called the police. They wound up removing the watercloset from the wall and then carefully broke the china away from it before handing it over to the coroner. Dad told me that was one of his worst days.

My father told me a story about getting a service call to unstop a watercloset in the women's public toilet room at the Texas State Hotel. This was in the early 60's. He sent one of his downtown servicemen over to the hotel to take care of the quick job. When the guy didn't return after awhile he went to check on him. He found the plumber on the floor in front the stopped up toilet, all red faced and scared. He had apparently run his auger into the bowl and partially pulled out a fetus. The guy was a mess, thinking "he" had killed it. Dad called the police. They wound up removing the watercloset from the wall and then carefully broke the china away from it before handing it over to the coroner. Dad told me that was one of his worst days.

I guess sitting on a toilet clogged up with a fetus would be pretty gross. I mean, I was thinking regular ole nasty (pissy, toilet paper everywhere) when I started this thread ... certainly wasn't thinking of fetuses in the pipes.

That is just friggin' gross!

• 2 weeks later...
I guess sitting on a toilet clogged up with a fetus would be pretty gross. I mean, I was thinking regular ole nasty (pissy, toilet paper everywhere) when I started this thread ... certainly wasn't thinking of fetuses in the pipes.

That is just friggin' gross!

That happened at a Piccadilly Restaurant at Almeda Mall about 2 yrs ago. Was on the news.

(I can't help but think of that thing from Alien jumping out and running across the room). :lol: Screeeech!

Archived