Bye, Bye CompUsa

Last time I tried to shop there, the sales guy told me to go to Best Buy because what I wanted would be cheaper there (a memory card for my camera).

I wonder if they will offer any clearance specials on Apple laptops...

There was a CompostUSA two blocks from my place. I went in there probably eight times over the last year trying to find things I was looking for, and never once bought anything. The stuff I was looking for wasn't exactly exotic; things like a CompactFlasg to PCMCIA adapter. But they never had anything.

A few years ago my wife went in there to buy a new PDA. She was trying to spend $600 on a new Sony Clie, but nobody would help her. When she would approach the redshirts to ask for help they ignored her. After 30 minutes of this nonsense she called me at work on her cell phone and I got the manager of the store on the horn, explained to him who I am, and that my wife was having a hard time spending a crapload of money in his store. In three minutes she had eight people trying to help her. But the point is that she shouldn't have had to have me intercede.

The store closed three months later. Crappy customer service will kill a store every time. I'm glad I was never able to spend any money there.

I wonder if they will offer any clearance specials on Apple laptops...

No....Apple wouldn't allow it.....besides, the liquidation company that came in and liquidated the previous round of Compusa stores that closed actually marked stuff up higher than what it was previously selling for.

There was a CompostUSA two blocks from my place. I went in there probably eight times over the last year trying to find things I was looking for, and never once bought anything. The stuff I was looking for wasn't exactly exotic; things like a CompactFlasg to PCMCIA adapter. But they never had anything.

A few years ago my wife went in there to buy a new PDA. She was trying to spend $600 on a new Sony Clie, but nobody would help her. When she would approach the redshirts to ask for help they ignored her. After 30 minutes of this nonsense she called me at work on her cell phone and I got the manager of the store on the horn, explained to him who I am, and that my wife was having a hard time spending a crapload of money in his store. In three minutes she had eight people trying to help her. But the point is that she shouldn't have had to have me intercede.

The store closed three months later. Crappy customer service will kill a store every time. I'm glad I was never able to spend any money there.

What do you mean "ignore" ? they just walked away? Did they know she wanted help or what?

I dont work there --and I dont think I've been to a compusa in years-- but I just find this itneresting somehow.

What do you mean "ignore" ? they just walked away? Did they know she wanted help or what?

I dont work there --and I dont think I've been to a compusa in years-- but I just find this itneresting somehow.

I had a similar experience. I had to buy a bunch of monitors for work, so, figuring it didn't matter which box I shopped at, I went to CompUSA. It was like pulling teeth to get someone to take my money.

I had a similar experience. I had to buy a bunch of monitors for work, so, figuring it didn't matter which box I shopped at, I went to CompUSA. It was like pulling teeth to get someone to take my money.

Anyone remember Computer City on Weslayan and Bissonett? I used to go there to buy computer books back in the day.

Conn's to me is simply awful. I am not sure why, but that store just never appealed to me. Their prices aren't all that great, their selection is just 'okay', and their salespeople are like vultures, swooping in as soon as you land on their doorstop.

Can my eyes and body adjust to from the blazing Houston sun before you swoop in on me!

Conn's to me is simply awful. I am not sure why, but that store just never appealed to me. Their prices aren't all that great, their selection is just 'okay', and their salespeople are like vultures, swooping in as soon as you land on their doorstop.

Can my eyes and body adjust to from the blazing Houston sun before you swoop in on me!

They work on commission, so that is why the 'vulture' like attitude.

So we've gone from not helpful enough (compusa) to *too* helpful (Conn's)... guess ya can't please everyone.

I don't need any help, just someone to take my money and let me get on with my life. I'll use the self-serve checkout if they have it.

Good riddance, they really sucked.

I didn't think they were that bad. Actually the sales people were helpful, even if a little insistent.

But overall, I didn't mind shopping there. They had a decent Apple/Mac section, even if it was in the back of the store and even if the salespeople didn't know a Macbook from a Powerbook ... or a Firewire from an cigarette lighter.

...hey, they DID suck after all!

:angry:

Just gave her that "oh, great I'm not helping a girl" look and walked away.

they were pretty good about ten years ago and then they started getting progressively worse. surprised they held out this long.

I know they were owned by a foreign (Mexican?) company ... wonder if that translated to management as well?

Foreign companies do not always do well managing entities overseas.

I hear you on that one. The guys at the Gulfgate store were standing directly in front of the auto doors the last time I went in <_< ....I really just want to go in, shop and evaluate in peace and have someone knowledgeable available if and when I have a question. The other stores on non-commission seem to have figured that out.

I just bought a computer at MicroCenter and enjoyed the easy handed sales staff, and the one guy who sold it to me had ready answers. They might even be commissioned for all I know but the swooping wasn't there at least.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a bluetooth headset from them when they had their closing sale before Christmas for about $8... I thought it was a good deal. The reviews online for this little headset were actually good and the suggested retail price was $50!

I actually bought 2 - one for my dad but when I opened the box, mine was broken, so I exchanged it for a new one. The new one had a broken power cable, so I exchanged it for a new one, then the speaker died after using it for one day so I ended up sending it back to the manufacturer. Hopefully they will send me a working one because I'm tired of driving to the galleria and I'm not even sure if the store is open anymore.

I guess that's what you get for $8. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I got a really nice BlueTooth headset for about $50 last week at the CompUSA going out of business sale in Lubbock. It was originally over $100. Going to keep checking out their stores as I travel around for work, just to see what other bargains I can find.

Archived