Mod Listings

rps324

There is a Floyd house on the corner of Gessner and Buffalo Bayou that he designed in 1959 or 1960 that sold a few months ago.  Floyd won a design award from Practical Builder for the house.  The new owners slathered it in stucco.  WHY!?  I just don't understand these people...

Yes, I saw that too ... ugh !! But at least the next owner could, in theory, undo that mess since the bones are still there underneath.

WHY? Because mass advertising and homebuilders have been pushing 'Faux Mediterranean Villa' as the 'in' style. So the twits with more money than sense think they can turn a spare modernist structure into a faux villa with a little stucco and gingerbread, since they MUST have what's 'in-style' at the moment, good taste be damned. These and other brazen gaffes speak volumes of stark commentary on the lack of historical appreciation prevalent throughout our society today.

But maybe someday people will snap out of it, and we'll see rehabbers try to turn McCastles into Floyds .... ;)

I sent in an update for folder 1 the other night and I am just waiting for it get uploaded. When it does, there is a mod on there that has been encased in marble floor tile on the outside. YUCK! But again, the lines are there and they are very Floyd looking. It would take someone some undoing, but unfortunately that seems to be the rule more than the exception with these.

I sent in an update for folder 1 the other night and I am just waiting for it get uploaded.  When it does, there is a mod on there that has been encased in marble floor tile on the outside.  YUCK!  But again, the lines are there and they are very Floyd looking.  It would take someone some undoing, but unfortunately that seems to be the rule more than the exception with these.

BTW, rps324, nice blurb in Dwell :)

Just spotted a house in Briargrove Park that looks to be either by Floyd or Taylor/Jenkins. Very similar in style to another Floyd in the neighborhood.

http://www.har.com/search/engine/indexdeta...=0&backButton=Y

I've driven past this house many times - it looks very nice and still has the original carport. The owners did not enclose it and compromise the design.

Archived