Mod Listings

rps324

Very nice. I'll probably go check out the sharpstown ones this weekend. I've gone to see most the others from the outside.

That interior of the last one on the 3 album reminds me of the Robinson's house in the Graduate for some reason.

• 1 month later...

1427339-1.jpg

1427339-3.jpg

1427339-7.jpg

Herschel Winslet, Architect with additions by Mace Tungate, Architect

This MOD at 6234 Queenswood in Timbergrove Manor is for sale again. It just sold 5 or 6 months ago after being on the market for quite a few months. When it was listed last year, it had been completely updated and renovated after the flood that was over a foot deep in most of that area. It seemed in absolute like new condition with great attention given to every detail. It was beautifully furnished at that time with everything appropriate to the period and style of the house.

The current owner has added a pool and relisted it after living there only for a few months. I have always heard that a swimming pool is the worst possible investment for resale as it returns the lowest percentage of original investment at resale. What is even more puzzling is that the house was sale pending in just a few days after it hit the market a few weeks ago.

The pool seems too large leaving hardly any useable patio or yard space. Vintage details of the house have been destroyed and the present furnishings seem far less appropriate than the previous decor, yet the house has sold almost instantly. Are swimming pools a better investment than they once were?

I agree with you that the other owner had cooler furnishings, although on the bell curve on what I see regularly in these mods, these guys are doing far better than most.

I have not been in this house, it sold so quickly & my first question to the listing agent was about the flooding. Since it got hit in Allison my buyers were all avoiding it.

I am curious what details they destroyed. It seems like last summer they paid such a premium for a house in Timbergrove because of the details.

Pools usually are the worst investment for resale. They don't hurt resale of course, it is just you don't get your money back out usually. This pool photographs well though, but don't know what it looks like in the flesh.

The lesson in all of this is it shows that if you properly renovate (vs. update) a mid-century modern and have it furnished half way decent, you can truly get a return far greater than those who try to turn theirs into colonials.

Could those lists be grouped by price range instead of however they are done now (I'm not even sure if there's grouping logic to them as they currently stand)?  Not all of us can't afford 1/4 of a mil for a house....

Within each folder they are sorted by price. The folders "expire" after 30 days and I revise them with whatever is current and take off the sold or pending ones. Each folder has different "expiration dates". When they (the listings) are no longer active, they fall to the bottom of the list. This is why you will see the prices escalate and then fall as the last ones are marked either "OP" "PS" "P" "T" "X" "S" for Option Pending, Pending continue to show, Pending, Terminated, Expired listing, sold, and "W" for withdrawn.

There has been discussions about only including the very best examples of modern architecture on the list, but I have been more inclined to include pretty much everything I can find. I totally agree about price. There just aren't that many MCM's available for sale at any one time. Style, not price, is what I use to limit the list.

Someone definitely needs to jump on this one - I don't know what was removed but this house was in great shape and I can't imagine it has suffered much at all. Whether a pool is a bad investment or not (I agree that it is), at least the one they put in complements the house.

Hey....RPS....7738 MEADVILLE is really neat lookin from the outside....albeit rough. Seen the inside? Are planes constantly rumbling overhead since its so close to Hobby? Is it just me or is that price high considering the condition?

Hey....RPS....7738 MEADVILLE is really neat lookin from the outside....albeit rough.  Seen the inside?  Are planes constantly rumbling overhead since its so close to Hobby?  Is it just me or is that price high considering the condition?

The planes aren't bad at all. I rarely hear a plane here. I'm a bit further from the airport but I think that the flight patterns avoid Glenbrook.

• 1 month later...

A couple of the folders have been recently updated on the Houstonmod.org site with the latest available mods for sale.

There are a couple in Walnut Bend, however, that just came in and will be added on the next update.

What's the latest on the Thamer Rd. house? How about the Floyd house in Memorial Bend?

Is the Lars Bang house a goner? Have former "Mods of the Month" found happy new residents?

Also, let me know if you're planning on doing any open houses for the "big ticket" houses. It would be great to see them.

Jason

What's the latest on the Thamer Rd. house?  How about the Floyd house in Memorial Bend?

Is the Lars Bang house a goner?  Have former "Mods of the Month" found happy new residents?

Also, let me know if you're planning on doing any open houses for the "big ticket" houses.  It would be great to see them.

Jason

I am supposed to do an open house on Thamer here pretty soon. The Floyd in Memorial Bend still sits there, if she would reduce it some, I could sell it in a heartbeat. I have been by the Lars Bang several times, but nothing has been going on. I wish they would sell it!

The Floyd in Memorial Bend still sits there, if she would reduce it some, I could sell it in a heartbeat.

I had the thought the other day that this house's owner could be purposely pricing it high to DETER someone from buying just to tear down - they might be trying to do the house a favor, so to speak. :blink: You just never know what a person's motivation really is.

Hopefully some kind soul will buy it for what it is and restore it.

She has it listed specifically for the lot. BUT... according to the rumor mill, a Japanese family will be leasing it so it may have earned a reprieve.

As for the Bang house, nothing yet but he is letting it fall apart. These situations make my blood boil.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
She has it listed specifically for the lot.  BUT... according to the rumor mill, a Japanese family will be leasing it so it may have earned a reprieve.

As for the Bang house, nothing yet but he is letting it fall apart.  These situations make my blood boil.

FYI she finally dropped the price a little on the Floyd Barrel roofed house.

I hope that leads to a mod-minded purchase. I know there's been quite a bit of interest in that house.

The flat-roofed house at 12922 Figaro (our block and a 90% Floyd block) is going to be razed for a monster McMansion. Crap... here we go.

You and your neighbors should camp out in front of their house with protest signs <_<.  Do they have to get deed restriction approval for what they build?  You can call a complaint into the city's Deed Restriction hotline (713.437.6769) if they aren't towing the line on the new construction, getting architectural approval, etc.

Your goal should be to annoy the crap out of them before they tear down in hopes that they will give it up and move on.

I'm on the board and unfortunately our deed restrictions are really weak. I contacted the owner (architect) when I found out he was trying to get approval. He claims they tried to get the house to work for them but will need to build instead. He says its for his family but I've heard from a reliable source that he's really building a spec house. It's someone who doesn't care about the neighborhood and the effect their construction will have on the Bend and that really sucks.

I'm on the board and unfortunately our deed restrictions are really weak.  I contacted the owner (architect) when I found out he was trying to get approval.  He claims they tried to get the house to work for them but will need to build instead.  He says its for his family but I've heard from a reliable source that he's really building a spec house.  It's someone who doesn't care about the neighborhood and the effect their construction will have on the Bend and that really sucks.

Weak or not, can the Board deny approval until he submits a plan that fits with the architecture of the community? IF they issue him a formal rejection and record it in the minutes, I would think he would be at risk of a lawsuit from the City if he moves forward. It's probably your best defense for maintaining the character of the neighborhood (even if you know that your Board can't/won't mount a legal challenge).

Here's what I would do; contact your city representatives (Toni Lawrence?) and ask for assistance getting an injunction to halt the tear-down, as that house is a good example of the type of architecture MB is known for. Of all the neighborhoods in Houston, yours probably has the best chance of mounting a challenge like this, due to the tremendous amount of architectural press you receive nationwide, and it would be a high visibility opportunity for a politician of any stripe. Turn it into a press op for them AND your neighborhood; people hate public scrutiny of any kind. If it works out, it could also send a clear message to anyone else thinking of razing one of those houses to stay away.

You might also consider contesting the permit for demolition, which should be necessary before they proceed. I know there is a way you can check online for permits issued by the city, and think there is even an option to receive an email notification if a construction permit is requested in your area. From what I recall, the screen says to 'call the Deed Restriction hotline if you think a permit is in violation.'

It's worth fighting for, if you ask me ... one house at a time.

I know there is a way you can check online for permits issued by the city, and think there is even an option to receive an email notification if a construction permit is requested in your area.

do you know the url of where online this can be accessed?

do you know the url of where online this can be accessed?

To get a permit list emailed to you weekly:

http://www.publicworks.cityofhouston.gov/p...ribe_permit.htm

They say it "provides information regarding any new construction, remodeling, or change-of-use permits by zip-code in an effort to inform citizens of activity in their neighborhoods. This eNewsletter is emailed every Monday."

To browse permit info online:

http://pdinet.pd.ci.houston.tx.us/permits/index.asp

It's all under the COHouston Development Regulations site http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Developm..._regs_links.htm. There is lots of good info here, including a list of "Neighborhood Preservation" meeting dates/times under the 'Planning Commission' link.

Again, the deed restrictions are weak. For us to legimitately turn down the design, as-is, we would need deed restriction back-up. To change the deed restrictions, we would need 2/3 of the neighborhood to approve it. I can tell you that the board is open to making changes to control McMansionization but they are not open to stopping it and sticking with the architecture. It will also take months to get approval from the neighborhood to change the restrictions (which we are going to mount soon).

While many of the board members are thankful for the press and like the style of the architecture in our neighborhood, they are not willing to halt the McMansionization. They see it as inevitable and don't want to "legislate taste". Unfortunately, I am only one voice and right now the most that I can do is continue to educate people. The next newsletter, in fact, will explain how Memorial Bend was visited by Atomic Ranch, written up in the Houston Business Journal, mentioned in the Chronicle and will be mentioned in a piece I wrote for Cite Magazine... all in a matter of a few months.

Trust me... it sucks... !

As for anyone in city hall... boy is that a losing proposition right now. Houston is the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to preservation laws/ordinances/etc. (uh... none)

There is a Floyd house on the corner of Gessner and Buffalo Bayou that he designed in 1959 or 1960 that sold a few months ago. Floyd won a design award from Practical Builder for the house. The new owners slathered it in stucco. WHY!? I just don't understand these people...

Archived