Train Noise In Gleanloch Farms/Memorial Creek Estates

faceh

Is it me or are the trains getting worse. I'm getting really fed up with the 2am 3am 4am trains I really dont think its necssary to honk the horn for 2 mins staright on our intersection. Does any one else agree with this? Its driving me nuts I can hear it thru my house even though I live 1mile away from it. Last I heard this was going to be a quiet zone please tell me this is true....

I'm referring specifically to the train that runs through Spring Cypress Rd. / Old Louetta. Then On to Louetta itself which I can hear as well and I think there is a small intersection right before Louetta / Old Louetta. I really wish we coudl get a petition together on this one.

Is it me or are the trains getting worse. I'm getting really fed up with the 2am 3am 4am trains I really dont think its necssary to honk the horn for 2 mins staright on our intersection. Does any one else agree with this? Its driving me nuts I can hear it thru my house even though I live 1mile away from it. Last I heard this was going to be a quiet zone please tell me this is true....

I am not sure about the trains where you are, but I live on in the FM 1960 area and about 3 miles from the Hardy Toll Road and rails. I can hear them (trains) but not so loudly. Sometimes I kinda like hearing the horns in the distance.

I really don't like the freeway noise from I45. That is nightmarish even though I am a good mile or more from the freeway. Sounds like a constant low-level roar.

I'm referring specifically to the train that runs through Spring Cypress Rd. / Old Louetta. Then On to Louetta itself which I can hear as well and I think there is a small intersection right before Louetta / Old Louetta. I really wish we coudl get a petition together on this one.

You make the mistake of assuming the train is only blowing its horn for your one crossing. Trains have to sound their horns a certain distance before each crossing. The exact distance varies based on urban density, the number of crossings, the speed of the train and other factors.

For example, in your area there are a number of crossings all within a half mile of each other. If the engineer is required to sound his horn for a distance of two miles before the crossing then you'll hear it longer since the combined distance is longer than two miles.

I once lived in a loft that was virtually next to a very active freight and Amtrak line (Dakota Lofts). I got used to it in about six weeks. How long have you been in your home?

I've never understood people who move into a home next to the airport or a rail line and complain about the noise. It's like moving next to a pig farm and complaining about the smell. Or buying a small car and complaining there isn't enough room in the trunk. No one did this to you.

Yeah, in a way there is a certain charm to train noise. Not sure the same can be said of landing 747s.

I'm just intrested to know if this will ever be a quiet zone. I feel sory for the folks that live right behind the train tracks. Like I said I live about a mile away. When I moved here I didn't hear the train until 1 day after my closing. This is my first home and the last thing on my mind were trains at 2am in the morning when my 1yr is sleeping and wakes up from the noise. I know the trains were here first and its our fault blah blah...

The bottom line I heard Tomball talking about making their area a quiet zone. Within the last year I saw them upgrade the train intresection. So it seemed that they were up to something but so far not much. Personally I wouldn't care except for the wee hours at night when I"m trying to sleep. 3yrs have gone by and they still bother me. I guess I can get up and move Which I'm sure I'll to find a quieter place away from the WWII and Cesna's planes that flying over head. But that is still a ways away. I'm just suprised that the Gleanloch residents dont have a problem with this. There are 300K plus homes in there. I've ever seen custom homes from 700k.

Just my 2 cents. If anyone has info please feel free to comment.

FWIW, my wife likes the sound of small planes flying overhead on a warm Summer afternoon. But then she married me, so she's not altogether well.

As for the trains, I see more and more places around the country getting quiet zones and high-speed zones in built-up areas. These never come cheap because the crossings always have to be upgraded. Usually the city foots part of the bill with the feds covering most of the rest. Occasionally the railroads will chip in, especially in cases where such upgrades will speed their freight deliveries significantly.

I'm just suprised that the Gleanloch residents dont have a problem with this. There are 300K plus homes in there. I've ever seen custom homes from 700k.

Just my 2 cents. If anyone has info please feel free to comment.

Maybe it's just not an issue to some folks. I looked at Candelight Oaks when I was house-hunting. There is a train that runs right through there (west side of subdivision).

It didn't seem to bother too many people.

I've never understood people who move into a home next to the airport or a rail line and complain about the noise. It's like moving next to a pig farm and complaining about the smell. Or buying a small car and complaining there isn't enough room in the trunk. No one did this to you.
NOTE: Emphasis added.

Editor - Thanks for summing it up here. This is same old argument and one that can be made throughout town. I remember growing up in Spring Branch east of Hammerly and Gessner, and on occasion late at night, I could hear the train that ran parallel to I-10 and Old Katy. I would guess that I lived more than 3 miles away with plenty of natural sound barriers (homes, trees, etc) between my home and the train, but sometimes the noise just carries for whatever reason.

*~*~*~*

In any case, I live in Gleannloch Farms and have been here for over 8 years. My street runs as a cul-de-sac in to the traintracks and I rarely hear it. My guess is that I am less than 1 mile, perhaps 1/2 mile away. As one of the early residents and someone who visited the community when the first buckets of dirt were being turned over, I have always found it mind boggling that people who move anywhere near railroad tracks (you couldn't miss them when driving to the neighborhood) or near an airport are surprised about NOISE.

It was almost comically during the first few homeowners' association meetings when people would ask the DEVELOPER to do something about the train or the airport. Um, yup - those were here first... so no dice there. Random people would figuratively cry about how their salesman promised they couldn't hear the noise, particularly at night. Well guess what? The salemen DON'T live in the homes at night. Ha!

In reality, the noise abatement has improved because the train company (can't remember which one) stopped idling their trains on the track section between Spring-Cypress and Boudreaux. Also, they were able to get approval to stop sounding their horn at Old Lacey Road since the road had been closed.

So, I say to those who don't like the trains or planes - FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT. It will give you something entertaining to do. Just remember that those on the other side of the debate will do the same. I personally know of flight school owners at Hooks that live in the neighborhood and they aren't interested in having their rights as a business impinged. And if you can get the trains to do something that you want, well, you might as well run for president because you just got an Act of God to occur.

Oh, and for those that want to move, there will inevitably be some other misery that you will have to deal with (noise, natural disaster, cost of living, lack of shopping, crazy neighbors - something else). That's what makes life interesting.

I couldn't agree more!

As for the planes, and a slight change of subject...

I notice that the landing pattern for IAH is very odd. Sometimes the planes are landing TOWARDS Humble (and therefore directly overhead the 1960/Ella area) and sometimes they change them, and they land FROM the Humble area headed west.

There are days, sometimes weeks that go by and no planes overhead, and then there are other days (like today) where it is non-stop.

What gives?

I'm not entirely sure either, but theonly thing I can think of is a shift in the direction of the wind.

Tell you what, early in the morning or late evening it's fascinating to watch the line of aircraft in the distance heading in towards a landing.

When I lived off of Jones/1960 on quiet nights I would look up and see the aircraft coming in.

It was quite relaxing, actually.

I know this isn't going to be very positive but oh well.

Those train tracks and the airport were there LONG before GF ever broke ground.

No one complained until GF was built and people felt blindsided. Look before you buy people!! We have 2 train tracks that intersect 1/4 mile from our house and it doesn't bother me at all.

Yes, they're getting worse, in that they are running more frequently than ever. We have talked with officials with Union Pacific and they have said that their business with Mexico has really picked up in the last few years and that you will likely see the train traffic double in our area soon because of that. Plus, in some areas, such as ours, Union Pacific does a lot of clear-cutting near their tracks to discourage kids from hanging out too near the tracks and that does reduce the noise barrier somewhat. But, it's their tracks and they (Union Pacific) can do as they want, end of story.

We lived in Memorial Chase from 1991 to 1996 and our house backed up the railroad tracks that cross over Spring Cypress (Old Louetta). As a potential home buyer how can you really determine if a RR Xing will bother you and/or adversely affect your lives in a particular house? Personally, I was never bothered by the trains. I'm a very good sleeper, which probably helps; and we do open our windows as we can with nice weather; I guess it's what you get used to .... and my kids were both under three when we bought that house. One of the pluses? We never had to worry about what might be built behind our home that would negatively affect our values; and we had a huge easement to play games on.

Yes, they're getting worse, in that they are running more frequently than ever. We have talked with officials with Union Pacific and they have said that their business with Mexico has really picked up in the last few years and that you will likely see the train traffic double in our area soon because of that. Plus, in some areas, such as ours, Union Pacific does a lot of clear-cutting near their tracks to discourage kids from hanging out too near the tracks and that does reduce the noise barrier somewhat. But, it's their tracks and they (Union Pacific) can do as they want, end of story.

Ok so i'm the only crazy person that has a problem with the train. I really dont see the deal with 2am honkings there has got to be a way to muzzle these guys at night. Its like the further u live the more the noise travels. I really love my neighborhood and my home I'd hate to have to leave this place becuase of a minor nusance like this train but if it keeps up I'm gonna have to bite the bullet. Sugarland here i come :P After I win the lotto ofcourse

When I lived in Louisiana, I lived three houses down (less than 100 yards, for sure) from a railroad track with little natural barrier between the track and my house. It was LOUD, like, "stop the phone conversation until the train passes" loud, and "turn up the TV full blast so you can hear" loud. But it rarely woke me up at night and I lived there three years. I guess I just got used to it.

I live right next to that intersection (moved in 2002). We sleep straight through the trains. Only occasionally do I even notice them at night (usually when my dog howls at them in her sleep - fortunately that's rare). My little guy is six months old and sleeps through them as well.

Maybe you could try upgrading your windows?

OK, we live in Majestic Oaks. We're are basically next door to where the forested lots (formerly belonging to HP) have been cleared to build homes, much to our dismay. Ever since that thickly wooded land was cleared, it sounds like the train is going to plow through my bedroom every night. Last night, I noticed the train to be much more "obnoxious" than other times. It almost seemed like he was doing it on purpose. We've lived here for 5 1/2 years. The train never bothered us before the land was cleared, but now you can actually see the train from our bedroom window (albeit at a distance). We never realized the tracks were so close, and that they'd be so loud inside our home.

A few years ago, there was a pretty loud buzz among area residents to curb some of the train noise. Many letters and petitions were put together and information was mailed to residents with contact addresses and phone numbers for complaints, which seemed to help a bit for 3 or 4 weeks. Then one night, about 3 am, the train came through with more noise than I had ever heard. It almost sounded like it had stopped and they just laid on the horn for about 5 minutes. My husband and I wondered if this guy had been repremanded and was getting his payback.

I'm hoping that once the homes are built on this now cleared land they will act as a sound barrier for us. However, it appears some of these newly built homes will be within 20 yards of the tracks. This leads me to the conclusion that some sort of wall must be built to block the noise, otherwise the homes will never sell at the prices they're wanting. The only other solution is to have a quiet zone put in place. Considering they blow the horn for the 4 separate intersections of Old Louetta between Spring-Cypress and Louetta, it really does seem like they are blowing for a constant mile or so.

**It's funny how someone mentioned not knowing the tracks were there. However, we visited our home 4 times before purchase and NEVER heard the train. Plus, with as far as we are into the neighborhood, and the previous coverage of the trees, you'd never know there was a track back there.

**It's funny how someone mentioned not knowing the tracks were there. However, we visited our home 4 times before purchase and NEVER heard the train. Plus, with as far as we are into the neighborhood, and the previous coverage of the trees, you'd never know there was a track back there.

That's why Google Earth and Live.com are so awesome. These days you can really figure out what going on behind and around a property.

In response to comments.

I have a 2005 home made by Village Builders. All windows all double paned.

I agree that it sounds like retaliation sometimes. I mean the guy just sits on the horn as if on purpose.

yes it wakes me up it did last night at 430am (not happy about it)

Im ready to fight this please tell me how!!! I dont want them to stop doing their buisness. I just want them to stop honking in the middle of the night.

A wall is not going to happen. Gleanloch Farms / Memorial Chase face the train in their backyards and they do not get nice fancy wall.

I'm even ready to pour more insulation in my walls any ideas?

Finally I really wish I knew how loud this damn thing was going to be I would not have bought the house had i known. I really do hope with all the devlopments around us that there might be a bigger effort to force the quiet zone. Hopefully the Kikerllo devlopment will have something to say.

You are not going to be able to get Union Pacific to stop blowing their horns at night, no matter how many names you put on a petition asking them to do so. It is a safety issue - the noise is supposed to deter people from crossing the tracks when a train is coming.

Your only hope is to push for upgraded crossings. Once all the crossings have full drop-rails and upgraded lights, PERHAPS the horn soundings will no longer be required by law - but I don't know the exact regulations.

Sorry ahead of time for the very long post. Just been diggin up info for you.

Your only hope is to push for upgraded crossings. Once all the crossings have full drop-rails and upgraded lights, PERHAPS the horn soundings will no longer be required by law - but I don't know the exact regulations.

It might be good to note a few things here. I'll quote what I can. Quiet Zones are decided upon by State and Local governments only. Not the railroad. The rules which they go by to determine Quiet Zones do include suveys for the types of crossings on a track. The railroad doesn't pay for any of the construction or upgrades of a particular crossing. Generally State pays 90% and Local pays 10%. Then the RR pays for maintenance there on out. So the burden of surveys, and the cost of upgrades goes back to local government. Or ultimately the tax payers.

An excerpt from the National Committee Highway-Rail Grade Crossing Model Law... (Note this is just a model for states to use.)

Couple more links with helpful information for you straight from all of teh players.

Good BNSF Article that explains alot... http://www.bnsf.com/communities/pdf/4_Grad...ssingSafety.pdf

Union Pacifics stance and involvement with Quiet Zones. Also has PR contact info. http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/horn.shtml

Federal Railroad Administration Final Rule on the Use of Locomotive Horns at Highway-Rail Grade Crossings http://www.fra.dot.gov/us/content/1318

So in short, it looks like you have your work cut out for you if you wanna spearhead a change like creating a new Quiet Zone. Like everything in this world full of beurocracy, things are alot more complicated. I guess you should start by contacting your local government representatives and maybe the contact there at UP.

Good Luck!!!

Archived