Mp3 Tagging

About half of my MP3's are ripped from homemade CD's. Many are lacking the ID info in the tags. It says unknown album/unknown artist/ 08track, you get the idea. If you go to iTunes, right click a track, click on summary and then look at the tag, that's what it says. However, all of my MP3's (in my iTnes library) are labeled accordingly, but the tags still say "unknown", "track #" as I said above. When I put those on my iPod is it going to display the track number and the information as unknown and not the title and name even though I named them?

I've done a lot of research and found a website on how to rename tags in iTunes, but all it's showing is what I've already done.

I also joined an iPod forum, but I'm afraid they're too hard core for me.

So is labeling a track with its artist, title, info, genre enough? Or do I have to do something with the tag itself?

What did you all do?

About half of my MP3's are ripped from homemade CD's. Many are lacking the ID info in the tags. It says unknown album/unknown artist/ 08track, you get the idea. If you go to iTunes, right click a track, click on summary and then look at the tag, that's what it says. However, all of my MP3's (in my iTnes library) are labeled accordingly, but the tags still say "unknown", "track #" as I said above. When I put those on my iPod is it going to display the track number and the information as unknown and not the title and name even though I named them?

I've done a lot of research and found a website on how to rename tags in iTunes, but all it's showing is what I've already done.

I also joined an iPod forum, but I'm afraid they're too hard core for me.

So is labeling a track with its artist, title, info, genre enough? Or do I have to do something with the tag itself?

What did you all do?

iTunes gets the information for track names, etc... from the tags. Unless there is no tag information at all, then it may look at the file name.

I can't speak for the Windows version, but on the Mac, adding tag information is very easy in iTunes. For example, if you want to assign ten songs the same album name, you select the ten songs, press Command-I, fill in the album name and press OK. iTunes will add the album name to all ten songs. The process is probably nearly identical in Windows.

It's too bad you didn't rip your CD into MP3s in iTunes, because then iTunes will automatically fill in the song names, artists, years, etc... for you. I think it even fills in the album art when possible, as well. You should decide if it's worth the effort to re-rip your CDs in iTunes so they'll all be labeled properly (and not just for iTunes, the tags will work in any MP3 player, physical or software).

editor:

It's too bad you didn't rip your CD into MP3s in iTunes, because then iTunes will automatically fill in the song names, artists, years, etc... for you. I think it even fills in the album art when possible, as well. You should decide if it's worth the effort to re-rip your CDs in iTunes so they'll all be labeled properly (and not just for iTunes, the tags will work in any MP3 player, physical or software).

I've already re-ripped, labeled and catagorized everything. It's just that the tags themselves, some of them, need to be fixed so they won't show "track" or "unknown" on my iPod. If that's something to be concerned with. I don't even care if I have to do each one manually, as long as it works out.

bachanon:

uhh, i actually buy my music.

I did buy them. With my current player I used Walmart Downloads and until just recently they only sold WMA's, so that's what I used. WMA won't play in iTunes so I had to burn all my WMA's to CD's and then put them into iTunes. Those are the ones that have unknown tags.

Tell me if this is right:

I went to iTunes and right clicked on a track. Then I clicked "Get info", Under "Summary", I went down to where it said "Where:" (followed by the ID tag info), right clicked and clicked on "Show in Windows Explorer", edited the song title.

So now it says, for example, "Unknown Artist\ Unknown Album\Twisted Nerve.m4a

At least the song title is on there. What about the rest?

Do I need to edit the rest if I want the artist and album title displayed or is it enough that I have them labeled under "Name" and "Artist" in my iTunes library?

Tell me if this is right:

I went to iTunes and right clicked on a track. Then I clicked "Get info", Under "Summary", I went down to where it said "Where:" (followed by the ID tag info), right clicked and clicked on "Show in Windows Explorer", edited the song title.

So now it says, for example, "Unknown Artist\ Unknown Album\Twisted Nerve.m4a

At least the song title is on there. What about the rest?

Do I need to edit the rest if I want the artist and album title displayed or is it enough that I have them labeled under "Name" and "Artist" in my iTunes library?

So are your tags for artist and album blank? Or do they have to correct info? Bc it seems like by the file location that the tags are blank. PM me and I can see if I can help

Okay, I hope I'm not repeating myself and going in circles, because I feel like I am.

Here's a screen shot of my iTunes:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/vidfo12/Itunespic.jpg

If it's clear enough for you to tell, you can see that everything's named, titled, labeled, whatever you want to call it.

I want to know if that's enough. Will it be displayed that way on my iPod, or do I have to do something else?

I've already re-ripped, labeled and catagorized everything. It's just that the tags themselves, some of them, need to be fixed so they won't show "track" or "unknown" on my iPod. If that's something to be concerned with. I don't even care if I have to do each one manually, as long as it works out.

I did buy them. With my current player I used Walmart Downloads and until just recently they only sold WMA's, so that's what I used. WMA won't play in iTunes so I had to burn all my WMA's to CD's and then put them into iTunes. Those are the ones that have unknown tags.

shows how behind the times i am. i was perusing the cds at borders last week and some guy passed me and said "who buys these things anymore?". uhhhh, me.

so, if i get an ipod, is it complicated to put my existing cds on one.

shows how behind the times i am. i was perusing the cds at borders last week and some guy passed me and said "who buys these things anymore?". uhhhh, me.

so, if i get an ipod, is it complicated to put my existing cds on one.

Hey, I buy them too. :) Music nerds appreciate a well-edited and well-produced full length cd. Actually now I'm doing a lot of my own editing from multi-disc and box sets. When you get a good deal it's cheaper than buying per song, plus you know what kind of sound quality you're getting; more and better re-masters are available now. I spent way too much time and money on picking the right home audio equipment for my room to play back some crap compressed file from a download. High Fidelity types can peacefully coexist with ipods! It's all easy stuff to use. And I really love just plugging in the ipod in the car rather than driving around with stacks of cds. And for hosting parties they are a godsend.

Archived