Rapper Pimp C Of UGK Dies

DaTrain

No. Writing something that will expand their horizons or pushing the edge of what they'll be able to achieve makes for great writing. The thing that really ruined rap for me in the early 90's was the fact that they seemed to do nothing but sampling. Yes, some of it is clever, but it's just a lazy way to do it. You can't really find another genre' that does "sampling". Come to your own conclusions to THAT statement.

The "dude" didn't help Houston music he wasn't that original, and the only reason he was showered with accolades were because of the people that knew him.

There's no debate that sampling is a part of hip-hop. The only other genre I can think of that uses as much sampling would be house/electronica; but whether people enjoy sampling or not is really all up to preference. There's no harm in disliking it.

A lot of people that enjoyed UGK actually saw them as a group that expanded their horizons and pushed the edge, and it was obviously something that many enjoyed listening to. If that weren't the case, Pimp C's passing wouldn't have made the news, and so many fans and people in the industry wouldn't be mourning his passing.

Yeah, waiting for a man to come out of jail to put out more music. I put them along with the same people that were waiting for Paris to get out of jail. Losers.

As Jeebus has stated, he glorified drugs, degraded women, and abdicated violence. Do you REALLY call that a positive roll model?

My daughter was interested in rap for a few months and quickly blew it off because she found it unoriginal and repetitive. She also realized that the people that listened to it were the most rude people and slackish people in her school. This was coming from a (at the time (15 year old!) she likes trance and Dance music with a little Led Zepplin and doors for the heck of it.

Like I said before, I'm surprised it's listed as "Natural causes" maybe they should make a catagory in wikipedia for "rappers that died of natural causes". I can guarantee you that it would be a VERY short list.

I never called Pimp C a role model; whether he was or not depends on who you ask. What I said was that he was an influence to his genre of music and those who listened to him. And whether anyone decides to stereotype the people that listened to his music or the radio stations that were effected by his passing is up to them as well.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And to set the record straight, I'm not only condeming rappers, but anyone who lifts up womanizing or anything like that. These things come in subtle ways, not just the explicit rap.

So I assume you also condemn Richard Strauss ("Till Eulengspiegel"), Giuseppe Verdi ("Rigolleto"), Federico Moreno Torroba ("Luisa Fernanda"), and many other pieces of classical music that glorify womanizing?

So I assume you also condemn Richard Strauss ("Till Eulengspiegel"), Giuseppe Verdi ("Rigolleto"), Federico Moreno Torroba ("Luisa Fernanda"), and many other pieces of classical music that glorify womanizing?

I can't even comment on that for I have zero knowledge of it.

But ya know, I don't really want to "condemn" anyone. I haven't made the same mistakes many of these people have, but I'm certainly not any better than them. I'm just upset w/ the high place we put them in.

I can't even comment on that for I have zero knowledge of it.

All of those composers wrote music glorifying womanizers. What else do you need to know?

But ya know, I don't really want to "condemn" anyone. I haven't made the same mistakes many of these people have, but I'm certainly not any better than them. I'm just upset w/ the high place we put them in.

Are you upset with the place "we" put Pimp C or the place "we" put Richard Strauss? They both wrote music about criminal activity, womanizing and assorted naughtiness. Is it OK when a white guy from Munich does it, but not OK when a black guy from Port Arthur does it?

All of those composers wrote music glorifying womanizers. What else do you need to know?

Are you upset with the place "we" put Pimp C or the place "we" put Richard Strauss? They both wrote music about criminal activity, womanizing and assorted naughtiness. Is it OK when a white guy from Munich does it, but not OK when a black guy from Port Arthur does it?

Obvioulsy I'm not part of the "we" b/c I don't even know who those guys are. So I never said that was ok. We're talking about Pimp C.

So yes, it's just as bad, no matter the color, no matter how pleasant it sounds and no matter how old the music is.

Just put up on the Chronicle front page, it's been announced that UGK have been nominated for a Grammy for the song "International Players Anthem" with Outkast.

http://blogs.chron.com/handstamp/archives/...once_ear_1.html

XM Satelite radio will also be doing a tribute show this Friday according to the Chron. It wouldn't surprise me if they also have other Pimp C acknowledgements during the Grammies and other upcoming award shows.

http://blogs.chron.com/intune/

Obvioulsy I'm not part of the "we" b/c I don't even know who those guys are. So I never said that was ok. We're talking about Pimp C.

So yes, it's just as bad, no matter the color, no matter how pleasant it sounds and no matter how old the music is.

It's weird the things we value as a society.

I didn't really know his music, I feel bad for those he leaves behind, but heck ... a lot of people die every day that no one even knows about or thinks to mention.

The thing that really ruined rap for me in the early 90's was the fact that they seemed to do nothing but sampling. Yes, some of it is clever, but it's just a lazy way to do it. You can't really find another genre' that does "sampling". Come to your own conclusions to THAT statement.

My conclusion: sampling in hip hop (and techno, house, ambient, classical, pop and any other genre that uses samplers) is descended from "musique concr

It's weird the things we value as a society.

I didn't really know his music, I feel bad for those he leaves behind, but heck ... a lot of people die every day that no one even knows about or thinks to mention.

That's just life in general though. Chances are that a person will feel more touched by an announcement that someone has passed away if they knew or knew of that particular person prior to their death. Pimp C was a person that many already both inside and outside the mainstream knew about prior to this week. Chances are that if a person didn't know who he was before, that person wouldn't be as much into the story when it came on the news.

Unfortunately in our society for example, the only teachers that become famous are the ones that do something horrible. There's still many great ones all over America that deserve to be recognized, but because you've never heard of them, if a great teacher were to pass away, you wouldn't take their passing to heart unless their passing had something really bad surrounding it.

^^I already explained it to you. You think people in Houston head to Atlanta to get big in the rap game. Name one artist who has. Atlanta isn't the rap mecca that it once was.

Wow, I think it is retarded to glorify people, even after their death, but this thread has kinda bummed me out.

Many members who I hold in high esteem have shown sides of themselves that can only be called uneducated (on the topic), judgmental, and even down right rude.

I find it really difficult to believe that this group of people would apply this same commentary to the likes of Elvis (womanizer and drug addict), Jerry Garcia (drug addict), or any other passed away musician who had run ins with the law and even sang about not so nice topics.

Pimp C was no different really.

Oh well.

I agree. People are so two-faced here. Pimp C wasn't perfect and actually did some bad things, but to just say "whatever" because he died (and because of those things that happened over four years ago), is beyond me.

I'm glad that we still have Bun B (the other half of UGK). Bun B is a very articulate person and knows what he is talking about when he raps. I hope he continues to make music.

^^I already explained it to you. You think people in Houston head to Atlanta to get big in the rap game. Name one artist who has. Atlanta isn't the rap mecca that it once was.I agree. People are so two-faced here. Pimp C wasn't perfect and actually did some bad things, but to just say "whatever" because he died (and because of those things that happened over four years ago), is beyond me. I'm glad that we still have Bun B (the other half of UGK). Bun B is a very articulate person and knows what he is talking about when he raps. I hope he continues to make music.
Amen!
My conclusion: sampling in hip hop (and techno, house, ambient, classical, pop and any other genre that uses samplers) is descended from "musique concr

Wow, I think it is retarded to glorify people, even after their death, but this thread has kinda bummed me out.

Many members who I hold in high esteem have shown sides of themselves that can only be called uneducated (on the topic), judgmental, and even down right rude.

I find it really difficult to believe that this group of people would apply this same commentary to the likes of Elvis (womanizer and drug addict), Jerry Garcia (drug addict), or any other passed away musician who had run ins with the law and even sang about not so nice topics.

Pimp C was no different really.

Oh well.

first of all, he went by the name "pimp c" and this isn't about how he conducted his personal life as most musicians have checkered pasts but what differentiates pimp c and other gangsta style rappers from elvis or jerry garcia is that his music glorifies violence and demeaning of women....exemplified by the fact that his lyrics had to be edited out of this thread becuase they are so trashy.

this is not about white vs. black musicians (marylin manson and eminem anyone?) or hip-hop becuase not all of it is like this. i grew up when public enemy, fresh prince and run-dmc were popular and they did their thing with out catering to the lowest denominator.

Why? Because you know its true? Are you really going to waste keystrokes denying the impact of gangster rap on teenagers in America?

I said that because hip hop is NOT the reason why young Blacks are killin Blacks. U did not even finish reading my post. I ALSO SAID THAT BLACK ON BLACK CRIME HAS BEEN GOING ON BEFORE HIP HOP MUSIC CAME INTO EXISTENCE. And if U must know (also @ ricco 67) I went to a summit last month at UH campus called "What is Destroying the Black Community," hosted by Slim Thug, Pimp C, Latoya Luckett, Trae the Truth, Quanell and other activists on the panel. Most people in the audience are sure it isn't hip hop; it's Black folks who don't want to work for the things they want like get an education or get a job, and would rather blame the white man. I'm Black, in school, and got a job, and bump rap music in my car, and U don't see me goin around doin stupid stuff and saying, "(This so-and-so rapper) made me do it." We, as a Black people need to do better, that's all I can say.

Okay Quannell, why don't you quote some of the racially bias comments that "got you so depressed".

You watch too much Bill O'Reilly. :lol: :lol:

I said that because hip hop is NOT the reason why young Blacks are killin Blacks. U did not even finish reading my post. I ALSO SAID THAT BLACK ON BLACK CRIME HAS BEEN GOING ON BEFORE HIP HOP MUSIC CAME INTO EXISTENCE. And if U must know (also @ ricco 67) I went to a summit last month at UH campus called "What is Destroying the Black Community," hosted by Slim Thug, Pimp C, Latoya Luckett, Trae the Truth, Quanell and other activists on the panel. Most people in the audience are sure it isn't hip hop; it's Black folks who don't want to work for the things they want like get an education or get a job, and would rather blame the white man. I'm Black, in school, and got a job, and bump rap music in my car, and U don't see me goin around doin stupid stuff and saying, "(This so-and-so rapper) made me do it." We, as a Black people need to do better, that's all I can say.

You watch too much Bill O'Reilly. :lol: :lol:

I like rock -n- roll among other kinds of music. Does that make me a bad person?

If hip-hop were truly THE only determining factor for black on black crime, wouldn't there have been a sudden increase in crime among WASP teens in the burbs? They've become some of the most prominent purchasers of this music as of late.

This thread has become pointless.

The bottom line is that most rap, some rock n roll, and some pop promote an immoral focus, that's a fact. I'm no goodie, goodie but I'm also not an idiot. I happen to be in the industry and have been for 25 years, and the simple fact is that today people (especially youth) take their music very seriously, in fact to seriously. If I had a buck for everytime I had to explain to a fan not to take this stuff so litterally I'd be rich. In other words, an artist should hold himself accountable for what he is promoting. Most rap acts do not.

Again, Rap is not the only culprit but it has become the poster child of thuggery. For instance... I grew up in the 70's and black music (mainly Motown) was not about what it is today. It was far more uplifting and had a completely different message.

I simply cannot understand some here that continue to make an argument for this stuff. If you want to make an argument for rap, hip hop, etc start quoting acts like the Sugar Hill Gang. They were the best of both worlds.

The bottom line is that most rap, some rock n roll, and some pop promote an immoral focus, that's a fact. I'm no goodie, goodie but I'm also not an idiot. I happen to be in the industry and have been for 25 years, and the simple fact is that today people (especially youth) take their music very seriously, in fact to seriously. If I had a buck for everytime I had to explain to a fan not to take this stuff so litterally I'd be rich. In other words, an artist should hold himself accountable for what he is promoting. Most rap acts do not.

Again, Rap is not the only culprit but it has become the poster child of thuggery. For instance... I grew up in the 70's and black music (mainly Motown) was not about what it is today. It was far more uplifting and had a completely different message.

I simply cannot understand some here that continue to make an argument for this stuff. If you want to make an argument for rap, hip hop, etc start quoting acts like the Sugar Hill Gang. They were the best of both worlds.

Here, here! They were the best!

Although I did like Public Enemy too. You gotta throw them in the mix!

Im sure you would like my wifey Alicia Keys then.

Most people in the audience are sure it isn't hip hop; it's Black folks who don't want to work for the things they want like get an education or get a job, and would rather blame the white man.

And that type of behavior is exactly what gangster rap promotes. Those people that feel that way look to rap music because they feel they can "relate" to it. They listen to messages about selling drugs & committing crimes to make quick money to buy nice things and become motivated. They take these messages literally and live by them. Thus life imitates art, imitates life. Remove the "art" and those "imitating" it will have to look elsewhere for their inspiration. If all they had was the less violent hip-hop genre, then maybe they would be more likely to stay in school, not commit crime, not feel the need to prove themselves to one another by committing said acts, and maybe even go on to college, the military, or a trade - and become a contributing member of society.

I'm Black, in school, and got a job, and bump rap music in my car, and U don't see me goin around doin stupid stuff and saying, "(This so-and-so rapper) made me do it."
Just because you don't, doesn't mean that others aren't as well. Per an NBC study, you are quickly becoming the exception to the rule. You (as a black male) represent only 29% of all blacks who go to college. The other 71% are women, who I'm guessing as a majority, probably don't listen to gangster rap as much as black males do.

They take these messages literally and live by them.

Right, just like the kids who listen to Ozzy all killed themselves.

C'mon, you don't really believe that music has that much control over the minds of listeners, do you?

And that type of behavior is exactly what gangster rap promotes. Those people that feel that way look to rap music because they feel they can "relate" to it. They listen to messages about selling drugs & committing crimes to make quick money to buy nice things and become motivated. They take these messages literally and live by them. Thus life imitates art, imitates life. Remove the "art" and those "imitating" it will have to look elsewhere for their inspiration. If all they had was the less violent hip-hop genre, then maybe they would be more likely to stay in school, not commit crime, not feel the need to prove themselves to one another by committing said acts, and maybe even go on to college, the military, or a trade - and become a contributing member of society.

Good post.

Right, just like the kids who listen to Ozzy all killed themselves.

C'mon, you don't really believe that music has that much control over the minds of listeners, do you?

Not that you were referencing my comments, but that's exactly what I'm saying... As I mentioned, I've been in the business professionally for years, and many, many fans take their music litteraly. Especially in hip hop. Isn't that what the concept of rap/hip hop is anyway? It's street music that relates to ones life, and the culture that it promotes is devastating to young minds. To not see that is beyond me.

You all here are really generalizing rap as one thing. There should be different sub-genres in Rap/Hip-Hop.

Read the lyrics while listening to the song "Food for Though" by 9th Wonder, a rapper from North Carolina:

[Verse 1]

Damn

Can I get a piece of bread?

Without somebody in the street tryin to eat what I said

I know I spread words like butter on toast

Cause when ya get it in the morning then ya love it the most

But see it's really the beef I hate

Even though there's a lot of y'all that wanna see my plate

I dedicate time to separate lines

And go bananas when I think about the food for ya mind

And stay away from them rotten apples

When ya fed some get fed and do a lot to get at you

So I match my caliber with my calories

Forty five shots a slice is like can it be

Nawh where you want it breast or thigh

I got a two piece and fries for niggaz like y'all

So why would I pass my plate

When I'm working for a salary to pass my weight

[Verse 2]

Every seeds that grows of food is a show a prove

How I move when I go with the youth

I mean at a show if I flow in the booth

I let it be know you better be grown or don't do it

Hunh many claim to have food for your brain

You can tell when they starving cause they arguments lame

What a shame you see me on the train and kick it

Thought it was sweet with a jook so you ran for your biscuit

But no matter what I can't be stag net

Cause I peep to survive now you need that cabbage

And after that ____ everything is gravy

Until the next meal maybe

Shits crazy I pray we see a better day

Cause see all this hunger is making me wonder why you lazy

Why would I pass my plate?

When I'm working for a salary to pass my weight

[Verse 3]

I broke bread wit the real

Still I feel like I can't get a mill

So I gotta build

And I gotta chill from that cook up product

I ain't tryin to get fried in the streets nawh wook paw

Cause if I wasn't eattin I'd be right there

In ya grill to session telling you the reason

Hunh I ain't tryin to pass the plate

Cause I use the food for thought to add to my plate

Or this song from Little Brother. A rap group from North Carolina. It's called "Dreams":

Real story, like I was

I was playin this, this record

For a friend of mine y'knahmsayin we was just chillin

I was just playin her the album and like

She was like, "Yo I love the record, record is incredible

But y'know something's different

Y'knahmsayin somethin it just ain't the same"

I said nigga that's the point~!

Rapper Big Pooh -

My momma told me that this music was cool

All she ever wanted from me was to graduate from school

But I, had other plans so I bid school adieux

I called Food Lion, had to tell 'em I was through

No more stockin peas and corn

I was born for a much greater purpose, do you this service

Margie got nervous, but timers don't sweat

8 years, I ain't been back yet

Lack of time on your TV sets, no radio spins

Momma askin her son, what he doin for ends

Spendin weeks on the road, ma this ain't for pretend

Unheard to the creme de la creme, keep bouncin

On beats pouncin, cat reflexes

Had yo' attention when I pulled up in Lexus

Big like Texas, G's on the checklist

You ain't gotta ask ma I'm bringin home the breakfast

Gotta respect this

(Momma I got dreams, but dreams don't keep the lights on)

I'm a make money money

And if I can't make it I'm a take money money

What you say buddy buddy?

(Momma I got dreams, but dreams don't keep the lights on)

Bills paid, bank account ensured

Top of the world screamin ____ that, get yours!

Phonte -

I still go the crib and see my _____z on the corner

Chillin with the pounds on they waist, gettin old

Gettin round in the face and when I hang with them

They ask me if "The Minstrel Show" means I'm ashamed of them

Well - I can't say that I'm proud, but only sayin

Can't say I'm allowed to judge, I'm just glad to see you

Cause truth be told, if my records never sold

And I wasn't raised this bold, n____ I would probably be you

I've been God blessed with the gift to make music

It took me all over the continent

But still got boys on the block and fam, smokin rock

So please, miss me with that conscious ____

I spent many a sleepless night because of it

Until I had to shake that ____ off and reach the conclusion

That every now and then you gotta axe yourself

Do you really wanna win or just look good losin?

It's no illusion, yes yes

Now this is what you all need to read and listen to at the same time (then watch the music video). Chamillionaire, A Houston grown rapper who use to beat at the tables at Jersey Village High School:

[VERSE 1:]

Welcome to the evening news, I thank you all for tuning in,

Yes, I'm your host and your journalist, here Chamillionaire, so let the news begin,

Our helicopters out in the streets look at the screen, an' let's zoom it in,

'cause Cashis is live at the scene, hey Cashis how are you my friend?,

Got no time for no interviews (go-got no time for no interviews),

No time to trip we don't get confused, cause this type of news opinion and views

Got no time for no interviews (go-got no time for no interviews),

You know I keep my ear to the streets so it's up to me to bring you the truth,

I saw a movie where George Bush had a bearded man on his squad,

So much power from oil money that poor folks can't sit by him,

No problem, Osama, Bin Laden, Been hidin', So long that them pictures all starting to look like him on them milk cartons,

Don Imus made comments that made everybody forget about him,

That's him, Anna Nicole got pregant and had kids by him,

Rest in peace Virgina Tech, too many innocent kids dyin',

Well let's just blame hip-hop and act like that's the big problem,

[HOOK:]

Now I would give you news about Katrina, but you know I can't talk about Katrina,

'Cause everytime I talk about Katrina, they look at me like it's a misdemeanor,

Anyways, there's way more important stuff that we can discuss,

George Bush is playing golf, everybody hush, he's about to putt.

[CHORUS:]

Gas prices raises, the money keeps burning,

Dropout rate rising, so what are they learning?,

Sending the troops in the war so I turn in,

To today's evening news.

And the world keeps turning slow (turning slow, turning slow)

As the world keeps turning slow (turning slow, turning slow)

As the world keeps on turning slow (turning slow, turning slow)

This is your evening news.

[VERSE 2:]

I know you take offense to certain words, I've heard worse, but I wouldn't blame ya',

They say he's a entertainer, don't worry about it, nevermind Kramer,

The Crocodile Hunter got stung, and the lion turned on the lion tamer,

We keep sending troops to Iraq, I figured that we must like danger,

Little kids don't learn in school they go to school to go spray a gun,

If you a parent, then be a parent, get off the couch and go raise your son,

Kobe just broke another record, today's game he hit 81,

Now they saying he's number 1, but yesterday they all hated him,

OJ was named innocent, he got no sentence, he's still alive,

It's very ironic that the lawyer that defended him had to die,

Well, now my cue card says the price of gas isn't really high,

But I'm not going to read that, 'cause we all know that that's a lie.

Now I would give you news about Katrina, but you know I can't talk about Katrina,

'Cause everytime I talk about Katrina, they look at me like it's a misdemeanor,

To today's evening news.

[VERSE 3:]

We still haven't found Pac's killer, still haven't found Biggie's either,

30 minutes into the case they got tired and took a breather,

Snoop Dogg just got arrested, everyday he get a new subpoena,

Innocent when murder was the case so the prosecution got a middle finger,

Hip-Hop is sweeping the nation, but the contents seem so degrading,

Most rappers got new albums that white kids are anticipating,

If you don't like it on the radio or the television then switch the station,

Flavor Flav get a lot of ratings, Bill O'Reilly somewhere is hating,

Kanye just said WHAT? the president ain't got time for that,

The White House is going to stay white even tho' we know Obama's black,

9/11 was a calculation, and some would say it was a timed attack,

He gave a speech on CNN, "They bombed us, now we're bombing back",

Where the heck is Osama at?

And I would love to talk about Katrina, but everytime I talk about Katrina, they look at me like it's a misdemeanor

Anyways, there's way more important stuff that we can discuss

N'Sync, Makin da band and Milli Vanilli had broken up,

To today's evening news.

Tell me that stuff isn't unique? Rap isn't all "shoot 'em, shoot 'em up, I got hoes" like a lot here want to believe.

Not that you were referencing my comments, but that's exactly what I'm saying... As I mentioned, I've been in the business professionally for years, and many, many fans take their music litteraly. Especially in hip hop. Isn't that what the concept of rap/hip hop is anyway? It's street music that relates to ones life, and the culture that it promotes is devastating to young minds. To not see that is beyond me.

Music can't make someone act out the stories they hear in music. It just isn't that powerful. I don't doubt you've seen messed up kids listening to music that reflects their messed up lives, but the music didn't mess them up.

So, what enlightenment did Mr. 10 and that esteemed panel say? What was the final outcome from it and who ARE they blaming it on? Mr. 10 is always stating it's whitey keeping the black man down.

Did they also talk about crime in general, or did they just address black on black (and Katrina on Katrina) crime? Crime in general is bad as I see it. But what do I know.

If Mr. Q-10 actually followed his hero's doctrine, Malcom X actually disavowed his anti racist views and stepped away from violence, just before he was assasinated.

Yeah, after reading the lyrics, I see that I agree with the assessment that the only way to get ahead is to be a rapper.

Archived