Rapper Pimp C Of UGK Dies

DaTrain

Pimp C Found Dead In Hollywood

After an early report from TMZ, sources inside the rapper's label have confirmed that UGK's Pimp C has passed away. TMZ reported that Pimp, real name Chad Butler, was found dead this morning in his room at Hollywood's Mondrian Hotel. After responding to a 911 call, L.A. County Fire found him in his bed. The cause of death is unknown at this point. He was 33 years old.

Pimp C was one of the most influential rappers and producers in hip-hop's history. His work with his partner Bun B in UGK over the last 15 years helped lay the foundations of Southern rap.

More to read in link: MySpace - Davey D

U1431P28T3D1170400F329DT20060724172727.jpg

Damn, this is sad. I was in my car listenin to 97.9 yesterday and was shocked at the news hopin it was not true :( Pimp C helped put the south on the map with the UGK sound and as a lyricist and inspired many Houston rappers. Brutha had problems but he was doin big things with the UGK reunion. R.I.P. Pimp C a.k.a Sweet James Jones a.k.a Tony Snow a.k.a. Mick Jagger. U r truly missed and will neva be forgotten.

Edit - The Pimp is free a second time - this time from suffering. :( Condolences to his family, friends and rap partner Bun B. I'm pretty sure Bun's takin it hard.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best friend was his school teacher when he was 11 years old and living in Port Arthur. She heard the news of his death last night and was very sad. She said that though its been 22 years she remembered him because he used to talk all the time about music. He always said how much he loved to listen to his dad play the trumpet. I send out prayers to his friends and family.

David Banner

Keke

Weezy

Flip

Slim Thee

Boosie and Webbie

Killa Kyleon

Gorilla Zoe

J Dawg

DJ Khaled

Ludacris

Cory Mo

King Mello from Ice Age

Wine-O aka Nuwine

Paul Wall

Brook Valentine

Letoya Lucket

Juelz Santana

Snoop

ESG

DJ Drama

and many more all called into 97.9 yesterday.

What were his lyrics about?

Is this just another way of glorifying someone who represents the problem we were talking about w/ the "black kkk?"

I don't know about his music, so I'm just asking.

----

Just saw the title of that album displayed: PIMPALATION.

Nice.

That's a pretty impressive list.

Did he actually live here in Houston?

Yes.

I couldn't beleve it when I heard it yesterday. I herad people talking about it and I thought they ment to say Big Moe because he recently died. It seems as if there is a curse on Houston rappers. Soooooooooooo many of them have been dropping dead over the years, and they are not being replinished by new Houston artist either. Soon Houston won't have a rap scene. In 2005 when Houston rap went really big nationally, it did so and then it died out quickly after. Why can't Houston keep its music scene up like such places as Atlanta. Atlanta even draws other artist including those from Houston to live there. Why can't Houston create major record labels intown, keep and keep creating artist from its home and attract artist from elsewhere? Well enough of my rant, its all about Pimp C and UGK today.

R.I.P. Pimp C!

That's because Atlanta is the epicenter of all "urban" music. Remember, Atlanta is the "Capital of the South", and "The Black Capital". Artists just seem to gravitate there.

Houston's rap scene is still basically a curiosity. You hardly hear Paul Wall or Mike Jones in the Southeast, but you hear buttloads of ATL artists everywhere you go.

Yeah, whatever.

One of the few rappers in history that APPEARS to have died of natural causes. We'll wait for the autopsy.

Wow, ricco, why the ugliness? Even if you didn't like his music, he was a rapper, not a mass murderer.

Positive role model?

Most people at that age out grow this sort of music. I hope this music was motivational music for the followers, if not he just led more youth straight to TDC. Hopefully it was the opposite, encouraged the less fortunate to better themselves, get educated, and make better for the next generation. I do sympathize for his family of course. He will be missed. -_-

This topic is clearly in wrong section y'all.

I wouldn't have called Pimp C a lyricist by any means. He was a rather simplistic rapper who, with Bun B and some of their beats, were entertaining and even semi-provocative al a One Day). When I think of lyricists, I think of the Mos Def and Abdominal types (as well as Jay-Z and Lil' Wayne). Those guys put a lot more into their lyrics than Pimp C. It just wasn't Pimp C's style and there is nothing wrong with that.

His music (and that of UGK and much of the rest of Houston) are the trunk rattling while being draped up and dripped out.

Regardless, I have been a fan of UGK since I first heard Drop, Front, Back (still one of my favs). Even if you disagree with his music, it is still sad to see someone with so much potential die. Especially after gaining his freedom and starting over so recently.

I'm really not the sappy type when it comes to celebrities. It always annoyed me that they are almost idolized when they die. They are just people.

I don't mean to disrespect, but you've got to be kidding. Here is one of Jay-Z's songs, and it's not exactly poetry although many in the community like to call it that.

Yeah, that would encourage me to go to college. :(

Tcha, ugh, ugh.

Not kidding at all, Trae. Do you listen to the radio when in the Southeast?

As for the calls to 97.9, they were from other rappers, were they not? Fans outside of Houston most likely don't know about 97.9, and hence, did not call in.

Oh well, your wrong then :). A lot of Houston rappers are known all across the U.S. Everyone who was a fan of rap knew who Pimp C was. UGK (Pimp C and Bun B) is what got groups like OutKast and people like Lil' Wayne and T.I. getting into the rap game. They said it themselves.

Positive role model?

Most people at that age out grow this sort of music. I hope this music was motivational music for the followers, if not he just led more youth straight to TDC. Hopefully it was the opposite, encouraged the less fortunate to better themselves, get educated, and make better for the next generation.

You never saw "Office Space"? There's an army of gangsta geeks out here. Hip hop never encouraged me to better myself, just like it never lef me to a life of crime. It's just music. If any music could get me to kill, it would probably be Minnie Riperton.

Yesterday was quite humbling. UGK had to be one of the few rap groups to come out of Houston that I listened on the radio both all throughout high-school, AND on the radio in Korea while I lived there. I also won't forget all the "Free Pimp C" shirts i saw in both Houston and back there whenever I went to the clubs.

BTW, my favorite hip-hop song on the radio this year happened to be a UGK song; "International Player's Anthem" with them and Outkast. The lyrics and beat together were just brilliant IMO.

Trae, that really has nothing to do with it. I mean, no one's calling the Violent Femmes, Marilyn Manson, or Trent Reznor model citizens, ya know? The guy was a thug. Thugs can be singers, it happens every day. But let's not pretend the man was something he wasn't. If my kids were listening to that crap, I'd have to wonder what else they were doing.

There's no such thing as a "natural" death--just ask Dr.G (an ME on Discovery Health). All deaths point to a malfunction of an organ or system within the body. I think it's remarkable it's being reported in that way without an autopsy yet. If you die in your sleep, it is usually due to stroke or heart attack. At age 33, there ain't much that's natural about that.

Yeah i heard that this morining on 97.9 the box? I don't understand how he died but i'm guessing it was weight related. Like Citykid said, there's too many Houston legends just dropping off like fleas: Screw, Fat Pat, Big Mo, Hawk to name a few. Sad to say, pretty soon all we're gonna have left is: WHO? MIKE JONES!!!! :(

Archived