Descriptions Of Some Of Houston's Neighborhoods

KatieDidIt

They bought the Claritas market segmentation software to come up with that. I hope they got a good deal on it. They charge a whole lot for clever names on standard demographics. Actually I'm looking at the segment descriptions and amazed that they haven't updated this stuff in a number of years. Cheesy. Pretty sad for demogpraphic data mining. My former employer bought Claritas product a number of years ago in an effort to revitalize their direct marketing and then quickly realized they had far better data analyis capability in-house.

I had to google somethings they claimed my zip code purchased and drove... I'd never heard of them.

http://www.westurealestate.com/neighborhoods.htm

Yeah, although there are some 62 psychographic categories in the PRIZM NE system, I rarely have problems identifying where the particular subculture of a neighborhood has been inadequately measured.

Bear in mind that each of these categories are based upon national trends, and also that each of the categories are divided up into four groups exclusive to one another by population density at the block group level. So, for instance, Upper Crust cannot possibly coexist with Bohemian Mixers or Money & Brains in the same block group, although because Bohemian Mixers and Money & Brains are in the same density group, they can coexist in a block group.

I've looked at PRIZM NE data pretty closely, and have had difficulty applying it reliably to marketing applications.

EDIT: But...I suppose it might have use to someone trying to very quickly and haphazardly characterize a community to some executive that just needs to be convinced to sign off on a proposal and that doesn't really need to understand it all that well, or something of that nature. Let's just say, I'll not put my money on the line based upon this data, but others may.

Yeah, although there are some 62 psychographic categories in the PRIZM NE system, I rarely have problems identifying where the particular subculture of a neighborhood has been inadequately measured.

Bear in mind that each of these categories are based upon national trends, and also that each of the categories are divided up into four groups exclusive to one another by population density at the block group level. So, for instance, Upper Crust cannot possibly coexist with Bohemian Mixers or Money & Brains in the same block group, although because Bohemian Mixers and Money & Brains are in the same density group, they can coexist in a block group.

I've looked at PRIZM NE data pretty closely, and have had difficulty applying it reliably to marketing applications.

EDIT: But...I suppose it might have use to someone trying to very quickly and haphazardly characterize a community to some executive that just needs to be convinced to sign off on a proposal and that doesn't really need to understand it all that well, or something of that nature. Let's just say, I'll not put my money on the line based upon this data, but others may.

I thought the PRIZM stuff was designed primarily for direct marketers and not for any kind of true demo/psycho measuring or planning application?.

I thought the PRIZM stuff was designed primarily for direct marketers and not for any kind of true demo/psycho measuring or planning application?.

I think that the answer to that depends on which Claritas sales rep. you speak to and what line of business you claim that you're in. ;)

Well well. My neighborhood was "Upper Crust". Obviously they never saw my apartment, which would be better described as "just crust".

This Claritas group wrote a book a few years back about they're segnmentation profiles. Interesting stuff, but not that deep.

Obviously they never saw my apartment, which would be better described as "just crust".
:lol::lol::lol:
Heh, I moved from "Movers & Shakers" to "American Dreams". Does that mean I moved down? Of course, I DID trade in the Porsche for a Toyota, so maybe the show fits.
Well, in that case, load up that Sienna minivan and crank up Mega- 101!!

Yeah, those are pretty bad...

They have a site that lists all of the types (and the drop-down list shows even more!):

http://www.claritas.com/MyBestSegments/Def...30&id1=1027

Aaaand, here is a pdf of all the "cluster narratives:"

http://bic.library.nd.edu/help/documents/P...definitions.pdf

A couple of gems:

44 Shotguns and Pickups

Rural Blue-Collar Workers and Families

Found in the Northeast, the Southeast, the Great Lakes, and the Piedmont industrial regions of

the United States, Cluster 44 is the least affluent of the R1 clusters. They lead the group in bluecollar

jobs. Most are married with school-age children. They are church-goers who also enjoy

hunting, bowling, sewing, and attending auto races.

Middle (43) Age Groups: Mixed Predominantly White

50 Family Scramble

Low-Income Hispanic Families

Although Cluster 50 is found in many markets, it is centered across the Southwest and Pacific

areas. It ranks third in Hispanic population and has an above-average number of Native

Americans. Ranked sixty-second in higher education, Cluster 50 shows all of the scars of

poverty, but is managing through working in transport, labor, and service jobs.

Lower Middle (52) Age Groups: Under 18, 25-34 Predominantly Hispanic, Some Native American

Yeah, those are pretty bad...

They have a site that lists all of the types (and the drop-down list shows even more!):

http://www.claritas.com/MyBestSegments/Def...30&id1=1027

Aaaand, here is a pdf of all the "cluster narratives:"

http://bic.library.nd.edu/help/documents/P...definitions.pdf

A couple of gems:

44 Shotguns and Pickups

Rural Blue-Collar Workers and Families

Found in the Northeast, the Southeast, the Great Lakes, and the Piedmont industrial regions of

the United States, Cluster 44 is the least affluent of the R1 clusters. They lead the group in bluecollar

jobs. Most are married with school-age children. They are church-goers who also enjoy

hunting, bowling, sewing, and attending auto races.

Middle (43) Age Groups: Mixed Predominantly White

50 Family Scramble

Low-Income Hispanic Families

Although Cluster 50 is found in many markets, it is centered across the Southwest and Pacific

areas. It ranks third in Hispanic population and has an above-average number of Native

Americans. Ranked sixty-second in higher education, Cluster 50 shows all of the scars of

poverty, but is managing through working in transport, labor, and service jobs.

Lower Middle (52) Age Groups: Under 18, 25-34 Predominantly Hispanic, Some Native American

Silly me. I thought 50 Family Scramble meant you had to hide 50 of your relatives before ICE came a knocking.

Archived