Help Locating Neighborhoods With Christmas Lights

soifan

When I was little my parents took us through a Houston neighborhood that had elaborate displays of Christmas Lights. Each street, in the neighborhood, had their own theme and when you entered the neighborhood a sign told you to set your radio to a certain station and the Christmas music complimented each house. I can't recall the name or location of this neighborhood. I believe we had to pay a fee to enter as well.

The other neighborhood I recall was in the Katy area. When you entered, you set your radio to the correct station to hear the Christmas music playing as you passed each display.

Can anyone remember the names of these neighborhoods or suggest some really good neighborhoods to view Christmas lights for the family?

When I was little my parents took us through a Houston neighborhood that had elaborate displays of Christmas Lights. Each street, in the neighborhood, had their own theme and when you entered the neighborhood a sign told you to set your radio to a certain station and the Christmas music complimented each house. I can't recall the name or location of this neighborhood. I believe we had to pay a fee to enter as well.

The other neighborhood I recall was in the Katy area. When you entered, you set your radio to the correct station to hear the Christmas music playing as you passed each display.

Can anyone remember the names of these neighborhoods or suggest some really good neighborhoods to view Christmas lights for the family?

Candlewood or Candlelight Estates (off Ella) used to have a great display, very similar to what you are describing. But the last time we went, about 3 years ago, it seemed many were not participating anymore.However it was still better than most neighborhoods.The first few years we went there were lite arches all over the neighborhood, going over the streets, and massive displays at each house and themes on the cul-de-sac medians. It was rather awesome, but I'm sure the traffic was annoying for the residents.

I believe the themed neighborhood is Prestonwood (out by 249/1960)

edit: here is a Chronicle article from a few years ago that might still be relevant (and it mentions Prestonwood Forest):

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2004_3827739

and another article about Prestonwood:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2003_3712565

I believe the themed neighborhood is Prestonwood (out by 249/1960)

edit: here is a Chronicle article from a few years ago that might still be relevant (and it mentions Prestonwood Forest):

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2004_3827739

and another article about Prestonwood:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2003_3712565

Thank you for your help...this is the neighborhood I was looking for!

Here's a link to a post I started last year on this very same thing. There's some good info there. I'm not sure about one in Katy. I do know that some streets in the front of Nottingham Country used to organized, elaborate themes -esp. the cul-de-sacs, but that's been gone for at least 10 years.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...mp;#entry133282

I remember on the west side of 290 the neighborhood between Milwee and 43rd used to have an awesome display also.

Scott Terrace subdivision: south of Old Spanish Trail on either side of Scott Street. Be sure to check out Gloria Jones' home at 3819 Daphne. Light-studded wooden holiday characters dot the front lawn, and even Jones' 1964 Cadillac Sedan DE Ville is wrapped in colored lights.

This is one of my customers I remember her always bragging about her display and how long she worked on it, and it was hard to believe until I saw that Cadillac wrapped up it was NICE!!

I remember on the west side of 290 the neighborhood between Milwee and 43rd used to have an awesome display also.

This is one of my customers I remember her always bragging about her display and how long she worked on it, and it was hard to believe until I saw that Cadillac wrapped up it was NICE!!

Scott Terrace rules Xmas

I remember on the west side of 290 the neighborhood between Milwee and 43rd used to have an awesome display also.This is one of my customers I remember her always bragging about her display and how long she worked on it, and it was hard to believe until I saw that Cadillac wrapped up it was NICE!!
I think you may be referring to the East side of 290 in the Garden Oaks subdivision perhaps ?
Another place "near" Katy, but south, is Pecan Grove. there are alot of themed streets there. I also believe that if you go to the Country Club, the offer horse drawn carriage rides through the neighborhood for a fee.
Yeah, if you consider Richmond near Katy, ok. ;):P:lol:

Lights In The Heights is this Saturday beginning at 6:00 p.m. Many streets in the Woodland Heights (north of White Oak, West of Houston Avenue) will be closed to traffic. The bungalows are decorated and many have bands or other entertainment. Bring the kids and your Radio Flyer wagon full of beverages to walk the streets and enjoy the Christmas season in the Heights. A Google search for Lights In The Heights will give more information.

I think you may be referring to the East side of 290 in the Garden Oaks subdivision perhaps ?Yeah, if you consider Richmond near Katy, ok. ;):P:lol:

yeah, "Katy" is a lot bigger than it was back when I first moved here in '82. Living in Seven Meadows and still being "Katy" is a stretch, but Pecan Grove is honestly just down the road from me ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been and want to go this year. What is the best way to get to Prestonwood coming from inside the loop? Not sure exactly where I'll be coming from yet, probably around 610 and 59 area... Please advise; I'm map-challenged!

I've never been and want to go this year. What is the best way to get to Prestonwood coming from inside the loop? Not sure exactly where I'll be coming from yet, probably around 610 and 59 area... Please advise; I'm map-challenged!

Just use my directions below, we went last night to Prestonwood and it was still pretty enjoyable, not nearly the amount of traffic as last year, so it was a little easier driving this time.

From 610/59 area. Take 610 around to 290N, take 290N and then go east(right) on the Beltway 8 East, like you were going to Bush airport, and you will come to 249N to Tomball exit, go north on 249 to Schroeder Dr. take a right on Schroeder go about a half mile and turn on any of the streets to your left.

Scott Terrace rules Xmas

Mrs. Jones came in today to change a car on her insurance, and had some postcards with her cadillac on it. Im going by there tonight to get some of the cards and will scan them for those who can not make it out to see her display.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Have not been out there myself this season, but a friend of mine said she drove out to Scott Terrace last nite and said the participation was way down this year.

I noticed that there weren't nearly as many streets participating this year. I fear it could be that the original homeowners who started the tradition are dying off. Our neighborhood is just south of Scott Terrace, and just in the 5 years I've lived here, probably 10 of the original homeowners on our block have passed on. There are only a handful left, and they're all in their upper 80's or 90's. One of the ladies that died last year was over 100.

Strange thing is that the year I moved in, the last remaining "original" man passed on, leaving a street full of widows. I started taking my vitamins and walking carefully from that point forward. :o

Archived