Sign in to follow this  
mblaise

Old Street Names In The Houston Area

THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!

I was starting to go a little nuts.  I also thought of searching the block books, but became hopelessly lost.  Then, I stumbled onto this site (that's how lost I was) and decided to give it a try.  Glad I did.

Mackie Dee Avenue in Magnolia Park.  First time poster.

In the 1913 map of Houston, present day 76th street was called Mackie Dee Avenue.  It ran north from Harrisburg Blvd to present day section of Avenue P, ran west for one block and then north on present day 75th Street to the Turning Basin of the Ship Channel.  The Central Park/Magnolia Park Map verified this.  Around 1950, the street names were changed to the names of today.  I have spent countless hours online trying to research and find out who Mackie Dee was with no luck. Never had the time to visit the Texas Room at the library to get serious.  Anyone ever heard of this road or of Mackie Dee?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tanker61 said:

Mackie Dee Avenue in Magnolia Park.  First time poster.

In the 1913 map of Houston, present day 76th street was called Mackie Dee Avenue.  It ran north from Harrisburg Blvd to present day section of Avenue P, ran west for one block and then north on present day 75th Street to the Turning Basin of the Ship Channel.  The Central Park/Magnolia Park Map verified this.  Around 1950, the street names were changed to the names of today.  I have spent countless hours online trying to research and find out who Mackie Dee was with no luck. Never had the time to visit the Texas Room at the library to get serious.  Anyone ever heard of this road or of Mackie Dee?

Some more info at https://www.flickr.com/photos/rkimberly/4995896189

Reference to Mackie Dee Oil and Investment (may get more info from Texas Secretary of State records) https://books.google.com/books?id=H39DAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq=mackie+dee+houston&source=bl&ots=jsAE1v_Tu1&sig=RUH95c8q1T5Ga8Ly2Cn5oQ5qQbI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKw7a-vubRAhXBRiYKHXKqC6IQ6AEINzAF#v=onepage&q=mackie dee houston&f=false

There's a mention of a Mackie Dee Barnett in the July 17, 1904 Galveston Daily News society news for Brenham. In 1906, there's a marriage license where Mackie Dee Barnett married a William Mayfield in Ft Bend County. In the 1910 census, they live at 415 Emerson Street in Houston (one street North of Westmoreland), the husband is a newspaper editor.

That's all I could find right now. The items with no link came from ancestry.com

• Like 1

Thank you for the fast response on Mackie Dee.  The flickr link to the newspaper article was the closest I got.  If Mr. Lew who owned the grocery store at the corner of Canal didn't know, I thought it was a lost cause.  I will also keep looking.

Lincoln Street ran from Allen Parkway to Westheimer. It is now an extension of Montrose. Only a short section of Lincoln still exist between Westheimer and California St.

• Like 1