Wells Fargo Bank At 3803 Westheimer Rd.

I noticed last night that the gas station (Shell?) next to Central Market on the corner of Weslayan and Westheimer had been demolished and it looked like something was going on on that corner.

Does anybody have any ideas? I didn't catch the sign when I drove by.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

I hate to be the potential bearer of bad news - I saw the demo permit post for 3803 Westheimer (the old Shell), and the "Owner/Occupant" is listed as Wachovia Bank.

So either it is going to be another bank, or Wachovia just owns the land - I'll try to keep up with construction permits for that site to see what they build...

• Like 1

I hate to be the potential bearer of bad news - I saw the demo permit post for 3803 Westheimer (the old Shell), and the "Owner/Occupant" is listed as Wachovia Bank.

So either it is going to be another bank, or Wachovia just owns the land - I'll try to keep up with construction permits for that site to see what they build...

Just what houston needs... another bank.

• Like 1

How exciting.

Wachovia is really opening a lot of branches in the loop since I moved here. When I moved here the only Wachovias I can think of were on Kirby near the 59 and Downtown.

Now there is one in Midtown, one at Kirby and Bissonnet, one at Kirby and Westheimer, and soon to be one at Weslayan and Westheimer.

• Like 1

I spoke with the old owner of the property and he said it is going to be a bank. What a waste. We needed 3 banks on that corner...along with a Chase and a Bank of Houston less than a block away. :angry2:

At least I could get gas, an oil change, and an inspection at the Shell station previously. Having banked with Wachovia in the past, I know I won't get any use out of the property now. And yes, it's all about me. <_<

Edited by BuilderGeek
  • Like 1

While I hate to see a bank go up on that corner, I have to ask, what ELSE were we expecting to go up on a small corner lot surrounding by the Central Market parking lot? A "mini mixed-use" development? Given the available footprint there, a single building is all that is going to fit, and given the choice between a bank, gas station, or CVS I would take the bank. I am SOOOO anti-CVS that I would probably have accepted with glee a used car dealership, ala the ones on Washington.

• Like 1

well they could probably fit a prototype McDonald's and "The Titan 2" :P

While I hate to see a bank go up on that corner, I have to ask, what ELSE were we expecting to go up on a small corner lot surrounding by the Central Market parking lot? A "mini mixed-use" development? Given the available footprint there, a single building is all that is going to fit, and given the choice between a bank, gas station, or CVS I would take the bank. I am SOOOO anti-CVS that I would probably have accepted with glee a used car dealership, ala the ones on Washington.
  • Like 1

A coffee house? A flower shop? A restaurant? A dry cleaner? SOMETHING to enhance and expand the Highland Village area, which is already a mixed-use area...and to provide a use for MORE people, rather than LESS people. Until Houston starts to understand we have to be MORE intelligent about density we're going to keep seeing CVS and banks all over the place. They ruined the area around Post in Midtown with this kind of thinking.

Other than that I have no opinion. ;)

• Like 1

Went to Central Market last night and saw the empty lot. The space looks weird with nothing there.

A coffee house?

I believe that before Central Market was built there was an old-style coffee shop next door to the Shell station. Maybe I am misremembering and the gas station replaced the coffee shop, but there was definitely a greasy spoon type restaurant in that location 10 years or so ago.

Edited by cottonmather0
  • Like 1

Went to Central Market last night and saw the empty lot. The space looks weird with nothing there.

I believe that before Central Market was built there was an old-style coffee shop next door to the Shell station. Maybe I am misremembering and the gas station replaced the coffee shop, but there was definitely a greasy spoon type restaurant in that location 10 years or so ago.

Is that where the Kips Big Boy was located?

• Like 1

A coffee house? A flower shop? A restaurant? A dry cleaner? SOMETHING to enhance and expand the Highland Village area, which is already a mixed-use area...and to provide a use for MORE people, rather than LESS people. Until Houston starts to understand we have to be MORE intelligent about density we're going to keep seeing CVS and banks all over the place. They ruined the area around Post in Midtown with this kind of thinking.

Other than that I have no opinion. ;)

Is a bank a use for "less people"? What does that mean, exactly, anyway?

We'd all love to see an independent shopkeeper or cafe owner set up, but that's prohibitively expensive for most unless you're leasing in a strip center, moreso in this part of town. So, banks and drugstores it is. Or gas stations and parking lots, unless there's enough interest for a big developer.

If I were super rich, I would start buying up empty lots and corners for little private pocket parks. I could employ a small army of of maintenance and landscape people. Ah, my empire!

Edited by crunchtastic
  • Like 1

That's commerce.

Niche, you'll be happy to know I've removed my rambling opening statement, so as not to be perceived as less than logical.

Quit yer nit picking, and in my future empire, there may be a very tasty position for you as Deputy Mayor of one of my Corner Park Regions. Then you can be as exacting as you wish. ^_^

Niche, you'll be happy to know I've removed my rambling opening statement, so as not to be perceived as less than logical.

Quit yer nit picking, and in my future empire, there may be a very tasty position for you as Deputy Mayor of one of my Corner Park Regions. Then you can be as exacting as you wish. ^_^

I shall say whatever I damned well please whenever I please, and on the basis of that consistent honesty, you will hire me because you know I won't kiss your ass one moment and rob you the next.

I shall say whatever I damned well please whenever I please, and on the basis of that consistent honesty, you will hire me because you know I won't kiss your ass one moment and rob you the next.

Duly noted. And your salary, or perhaps your 'other duties as assigned' will reflect your consistently charming honesty. ;)

Edited by crunchtastic

"Less people" is the opposite of "more people."

People who use Wachovia bank < People who drink coffee

People who use Wachovia bank < People who eat

Hope that 'splains it. :)

They do sell small quantities of food and coffee at a Walgreens. And medicine on top of that! Perhaps a Walgreens would've been preferable? In fact, screw all restaurants and coffee shops. Walgreens is all we need from now on, sayeth BuilderGeek. :lol:;)

They do sell small quantities of food and coffee at a Walgreens. And medicine on top of that! Perhaps a Walgreens would've been preferable? In fact, screw all restaurants and coffee shops. Walgreens is all we need from now on, sayeth BuilderGeek. :lol:;)

Or a CVS, even! They now have ATMs in some locations!

*senses more going up in Midtown*

I know you're trying for a reaction/to be funny, but I would have LOVED Walgreen's to put up an urban store on this corner. It would have had to be two stories to fit, but it would be up to the street and walkable...and have been a very interesting design with underground parking. The best thing is that they would have closed the Walgreen's across the street, allowing for redevelopment of the HUGE (by the area's standards) lot they have over there and extending Highland Village. Great idea Niche!

Even in this alternate universe CVS would probably have bought the Walgreens property.

:)

• The title was changed to Wells Fargo Bank At 3803 Westheimer Rd.