Large Area To Be Razed In The Warehouse District

Guest danax

Sometimes I feel like we are on an island of misfits, jeez.

Pretty much, yeah. And since post-WW2 American youth seem to relish in the 'wanna-be misfit' culture, and Houston's archetypal bastion of misfits (Montrose) has fallen to the yuppie hordes, we over in the East End ought to more actively promote ourselves as the inheritors of the misfit legacy.

It may take a generation to experience change of the same magnitude as has transformed Montrose, but we've got all the right ingredients in the immediate area, and I'm reasonably confident that it will happen.

Pretty much, yeah. And since post-WW2 American youth seem to relish in the 'wanna-be misfit' culture, and Houston's archetypal bastion of misfits (Montrose) has fallen to the yuppie hordes, we over in the East End ought to more actively promote ourselves as the inheritors of the misfit legacy.

It may take a generation to experience change of the same magnitude as has transformed Montrose, but we've got all the right ingredients in the immediate area, and I'm reasonably confident that it will happen.

My little corner of the east end feels very much like the montrose of yore. People-wise, that is. Although I'm afraid we'll go straight from sleepy, mostly hispanic hood to overpriced yuppie funland, skipping straight past misfit cool. I hope I'm wrong. Or maybe I'm part of the yuppie horde, since I have directly contributed to increasing home values. Yikes! :o I used to own a volvo, even.

Wow, I certainly hope that we won't have to wait 25-30 years to see retail improve in the Eastwood area! I won't be around that long...

Wow, I certainly hope that we won't have to wait 25-30 years to see retail improve in the Eastwood area! I won't be around that long...

Depends on how you what you consider to be improvements. The cycle I see is characterized by:

• Tel-Wink & Dinner Bell & Weingarten -->
  • Taco Boxes & Family Dollar & Fiesta -->
  • Bohemio's & District 7 & Kroger (upgraded) -->
  • Farrago's & Zushi & Whole Foods -->
  • ...as-yet inconceivable yuppie hellholes.

By my tastes, I expect that we'll peak out in about 5 or 10 years, and its all downhill from there. It could be faster, more like along the Washington Avenue corridor, but we aren't lodged in between Montrose and the Heights, either, so I'm inclined to believe that the process will be slower.

i'll give you the polk one but the ones on 75th aren't in what i would call the warehouse district. is the polk one in the kroger-plex or is it standalone?

Well I guess I've been talking about the East End in a more general sense. No, I wouldn't be surprised to see another few of these pop up in the area, with at least another one in the warehouse district, but I'm still not prepared to define a whole phase of class-based retailing by them.

• 1 month later...
Demolition has begun.

s1qgwn.jpg

2hh2ipe.jpg

I've heard from a reliable source that the land was purchased to build more than 50 townhomes, although that is still preliminary and might be decided next week. I wonder if buyers would feel sheepish living next to active drug dealing. It didn't stop 4th Ward so I doubt it will stop many here, especially with the convenience of having the freeway, downtown and future rail within minutes.

I was able to get the Sampson, Coyle, Napoleon, and Jefferson block a few weeks ago - (Live Map and Google map of the area).

The blank spots were empty lots, but I can't make much sense of those pictures right now so I just left them out of the image map.

The image is quite large, so i'll put a thumbnail to link it:

coylemap_sm.png

I was able to get the Sampson, Coyle, Napoleon, and Jefferson block a few weeks ago - (Live Map and Google map of the area).

The blank spots were empty lots, but I can't make much sense of those pictures right now so I just left them out of the image map.

coylemap_sm.png

Great job. I'm glad someone is documenting these homes before they go away.

coylemap_sm.png

That really gives a sense of the community and 100s of people that lived in those houses over the past 80-100 years. I imagine some sitting on the porches, watching the children play (or sell drugs later on) and the conversations that took place; "Let's go see Ma Rainey", "will Roosevelt pull us out of the depression?", "the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor!", etc. Unique and humble architecture destined for erasure save for a few museumesque examples. Not a lament, as they served their purpose and their utility has disappeared with the passing of time (oh no, I'm starting to sound like the Niche).

Too great of a location to be a blank spot for long.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link. The editor was right in what he/she did. I will miss Danax, especially, because I am an East Ender. But Danax needs to chill out. There are plenty of placed to discuss 9-11 conspiracy theories and HAIF should not be one of them. Again, I'll miss Danax's postings greatly. But if he wants to take his ball and go home, whatever.

• 1 month later...

This whole area is like a clean slate, ready for the new.

and Just about 1/2 mile heading west into downtown another new develpement is being promoted. Called Cobblestone Living or something like that. Guess that means thy cracketh pipe hood is a thing of the past now? Let's hope that's the case. "Nothing but blue skies from now on"

Archived