Black On Black Violence

musicman

I absolutely agree with your earlier post that even kids with both parents lack a lot of supervision these days. It seems as if parents want to be buddies with their children, which imo is not healthy. I love my kids and would die a thousand deaths for them, however I am not their buddy, I'm their father.

i was out with my mom earlier and two mothers and their 3 children were out at a resale shop. the kids were running around while and a store employee told them they had to stay with their mother. the mother said something to them but kept on shopping. didn't even phase them.

my mom brought up another incident where a 3 or so yr old was pushing a 2 yr old in a cart. of course they hit my mom in the back with the cart. she asked them where their mother was and she came walkin up from 3 aisles over. the mother said "forgive them they are only children" my mom told her "i forgive them, it's you that should take responsibility for you children" of course the lady was pissed.

Whitlock is absolutely brilliant. He's on Fox Sports now, but he was formerly on AOL Sports. I don't think it's possible to access his old AOL articles, but they were spectacular. The first one he wrote about the Black KKK was inspired I believe by what he observed in Las Vegas for the NBA All-Star Game in early 2007. He also had some great commentary to offer on the whole Don Imus thing. For those people who would like to make sweeping generalizations about Black American opinion every time Jackson or Sharpton become annoying, I'd refer them to Whitlock in a heartbeat.

I agree with satriela's comments regarding drugs. Whether or not you agree with the illegality of drugs like marijuana, the fact remains that small time, nonviolent drug offenders are punished way too severely and that this contributes in no small part to "the cycle".

• 3 weeks later...

Whitlock isn't brilliant but add Clarence Thomas, associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, to that list.

He writes about the cultural problems within the black community in his memoir My Grandfather's Son describing the politics behind those movements courting the Black vote and condemning them for undermining African Americans' ability to be self-reliant. He voices his frustration with shedding the expectation, because of his skin color, to be a liberal and suffering the ramifications for not doing so, such as being called an Uncle Tom, and actually discusses black racism. (It's refreshing to see an American with dark skin not blaming a white person for anything; wish it happened more often).

Bill Cosby's new book Come on, People is similar but less political---focusing more on the failed parenting, low class behavior, and substandard speech of Blacks--and it too doesn't blame white people. Whitlock, to his credit, and like both Thomas andCosby, focuses his attention where it needs to be--on the community members; Blacks can't have a decent neighborhood, or anything else including longevity, without accepting personal respnsibility.

So drop the MaryJane and the crack pipe Satriela and stop making inane arguments supporting drug usage-- put away the obscene hip-hop lyrics Trae and spend more time reading real poetry and learning the classics. If more Blacks acted like productive, repsonsible grown-ups, our country would be much better off.

We may actually be moving away from focusing on skin color to focusing on character in this country.

Whitlock is absolutely brilliant. He's on Fox Sports now, but he was formerly on AOL Sports. I don't think it's possible to access his old AOL articles, but they were spectacular. The first one he wrote about the Black KKK was inspired I believe by what he observed in Las Vegas for the NBA All-Star Game in early 2007. He also had some great commentary to offer on the whole Don Imus thing. For those people who would like to make sweeping generalizations about Black American opinion every time Jackson or Sharpton become annoying, I'd refer them to Whitlock in a heartbeat.

I agree with satriela's comments regarding drugs. Whether or not you agree with the illegality of drugs like marijuana, the fact remains that small time, nonviolent drug offenders are punished way too severely and that this contributes in no small part to "the cycle".

Mojeaux, try using web.archive.org. His articles *might* be on there.

You can't be naive enough to believe that 200+ years of institutional slavery and then many more years (hundreds) of institutional racism against black people hasn't had an effect on blacks today in many ways (probably more than will ever be known).

Nevertheless, I am not one to blame white people for everything. I'm just saying that America's history does affect its present.

So drop the MaryJane and the crack pipe Satriela and stop making inane arguments supporting drug usage

Wow, Toggle, I don't think I've ever been so pissed at reading someone's post in my entire life. First of all, if you are going to direct a comment to someone why don't you make sure that you READ what they wrote. Never have I made a statement supporting drug usage. NEVER. In fact, HERE is my direct quote:

No. My parents were firmly anti-drug and I'll teach my kids that illegal drugs, while not having on whit of difference from legal drugs except legal status, are, just like legal drugs, not to be used except in dire emergencies under the direction of a qualified and trusted physician.

It is the height of arrogance to insinuate that someone does drugs because they want them legalized. If someone defends homosexual marriage, must they be gay? For your information, I DON'T DO DRUGS. People like you make me sick. You write posts that say:

If more Blacks acted like productive, repsonsible grown-ups, our country would be much better off.

You make such blatantly offensive posts only because you are obviously ignorant of WHITE PRIVILEGE .

Why don't you take the sheet off your head for a minute and read about it?

http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/~mcisaac/emc598ge/Unpacking.html

http://www.dickshovel.com/priv.html

http://www.tolerance.org/news/article_tol.jsp?id=722

Affirmative Action and racial quotas are evil; embracing the myth of white privilege and/or oppression is worse.

Who are these whites you talk about? Are they the Scottish, French, or the Poles? Descendants of the Mayflower or only those pale faces living in the 7500 block of Westheimer? Race-baiting is a nasty business Satriela. People are just people ---regardless of their skin color.

As to white privilege, I've never seen this--is it like Hispanic privilege here in Houston? You know, being hired because of the ability to speak Spanish or being promoted based on surname. Privilege is as privilege does. Money is reallly the only privilege in America.

Money is reallly the only privilege in America.

Very true. This is one of the things that people outside of the United States see, but we as Americans are often blind to.

Once when I was between jobs I took a gig as a chauffeur. I would do runs in and out of Dulles Airport and drive people sometimes hours away to places in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and beyond. This was back in the early 90's when Dulles was the only airport in America that Aeroflot was allowed to fly into and so a lot of the people I picked up were from recently liberated Soviet bloc countries.

One of the common themes in our conversations (because I was often their first contact with a mythical "American") was about how amazing it is that in America everyone is equal. While many Americans don't see it because we see the fine grain of inequality, compared to most other countries we have a very level playing field.

My fares were always amazed that no matter what color your skin, who your parents were, where you came from, or what you looked like as long as you were smart and were willing to work hard you could be a success in this nation. It's still true today. Black or white as long as you have money you can do whatever you want. Live wherever you want. Be whatever you want.

Compare that with other countries where even if you have lots of money you still can't live where you want or how you want or travel as freely as you want. In a lot of countries there are people who are very rich who still live segregated lives because of their ethnicity, politics, or family lineage.

That article doesn't really "counter" Whitlock at all. If anything, it seems like the author misinterpreted Whitlock's neologism (or at least took one aspect of it and ran with it). I do wish voices like Whitlock's were heard more often whenever a racial controversy occurs, but I would also ask other whites to think more about race and to consider the effects of historical white privilege.

Editor is right about money, but white privilege is responsible for much of the assets that whites hold. I'd direct y'all to this guy: http://www.timwise.org/

Also, for a great conversation about Affirmative Action, please see: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=16337441

Archived