Oral Roberts Chief: God Made Me Quit

HtownWxBoy

My high school/college girlfriend went there. That is a seriously weird place. This was in the early '80s when Oral was building his giant City of Faith hospital on God's orders. It stood vacant for a while after the med school shut down, and is now an office complex. Although I don't care for the place personally, it is a real showplace of 60's Oklahoma organic architecture. Here's a cap from Google Earth to give you the idea:

oru.jpg

If you're that curious you can go to 7777 S. Lewis Ave., Tulsa, OK in Live Local.

Oral Roberts and his son have a long history of chewing the fat with the Big Kahuna. Roberts founded the university after God told him to. In 1977, Roberts began building that hospital because a 900 foot tall Jesus told him to (however, Roberts was unable to convince Kareem Abdul Jesus to play for the basketball team). In the 80s, Roberts said God told him he would die if he didn't raise $8 million. Unfortunately, supporters gave $9.1 million, so we could not see if God was serious.

My high school/college girlfriend went there. That is a seriously weird place. This was in the early '80s when Oral was building his giant City of Faith hospital on God's orders. It stood vacant for a while after the med school shut down, and is now an office complex. Although I don't care for the place personally, it is a real showplace of 60's Oklahoma organic architecture. Here's a cap from Google Earth to give you the idea:

oru.jpg

If you're that curious you can go to 7777 S. Lewis Ave., Tulsa, OK in Live Local.

in the upper right hand corner are four star shaped mid rise dormitories called the towers. i lived in the one closest to the top in 1983/84. it's unfortunate that oral roberts let his son richard take over. oral roberts is a genuine man who truly believes (for better or worse) what he believes. unfortunately, his son lacks the good character of his father. it was obvious to many of us back in the eighties that richard and lindsay roberts hit the jackpot by being related to oral roberts......they never appeared to be too sincere.

Oral Roberts and his son have a long history of chewing the fat with the Big Kahuna. Roberts founded the university after God told him to. In 1977, Roberts began building that hospital because a 900 foot tall Jesus told him to (however, Roberts was unable to convince Kareem Abdul Jesus to play for the basketball team). In the 80s, Roberts said God told him he would die if he didn't raise $8 million. Unfortunately, supporters gave $9.1 million, so we could not see if God was serious.

It's just amazing that people like him in this day of age are taken seriously by so many people. I was always under the impression that people who hear voices in their head were crazy. :wacko:

It's just amazing that people like him in this day of age are taken seriously by so many people. I was always under the impression that people who hear voices in their head were crazy. :wacko:

Called dementia right? Don't people with the symptoms take medication for it? We knew a girl in the neighborhod that swears she saw space ships. She supposedly take some kind of med to snap back to reality. There are more people like this around than we realize. I feel pity, not their fault.

Called dementia right? Don't people with the symptoms take medication for it? We knew a girl in the neighborhod that swears she saw space ships. She supposedly take some kind of med to snap back to reality. There are more people like this around than we realize. I feel pity, not their fault.

Well to tell you the truth I don't believe for one second Oral Roberts or his son actually "heard" God telling them to do any these things. Telling people he needed to raise millions of dollars or God would kill him was a way to trick stupid people into sending him money.

Archived