Dark Chocolate, Flavanols, And Antioxidants

houstonmacbro

Lately I have been really getting into dark chocolates (especially the Dove and Hershey's Cacao Reserves). I am also learning that they are supposed to be good for you (in moderation ... they are after all chocolate and have calories and fat content).

Anyone recommend any other brands of 60% or more cacao that I have not mentioned. Oh yeah ... within budgetary limits too.

Oooh, you've gotta go to Spec's on Smith Street. They have almost an entire aisle of chocolate. Try Guitard and Santander.

Here's something I found on this site: http://www.chocolate-week.co.uk/good-chocolate.php

* The quality and provenance of the cocoa beans and the manufacturing process is vital just as it is for fine wines.

* The country of origin & quality of the cocoa bean is far more important than the country in which chocolate is made. If your chocolate is primarily sold on the basis of the country it was made in, you are probably buying overpriced, low grade chocolate.

* Ideally chocolate should contain a minimum cocoa content of 60%+ for dark and 30%+ for milk. However, just because a chocolate contains 70% cocoa does not mean it is good

Oooh, you've gotta go to Spec's on Smith Street. They have almost an entire aisle of chocolate. Try Guitard and Santander.

Here's something I found on this site: http://www.chocolate-week.co.uk/good-chocolate.php

* The quality and provenance of the cocoa beans and the manufacturing process is vital just as it is for fine wines.

* The country of origin & quality of the cocoa bean is far more important than the country in which chocolate is made. If your chocolate is primarily sold on the basis of the country it was made in, you are probably buying overpriced, low grade chocolate.

* Ideally chocolate should contain a minimum cocoa content of 60%+ for dark and 30%+ for milk. However, just because a chocolate contains 70% cocoa does not mean it is good

I've loved dark chocolate since I was a kid, so I'm ecstatic about the recent attention. It used to be hard to find, and suddenly Kroger has 7 different brands.

My favorites (right now) are Ritter Sport Fine Extra Dark and the Hershey Cacao Reserve with nibs. (Check out the other Ritter Sport flavors, too.)

If anyone knows where I can find Lindt Excellence Chili in town, let me know. Mmmmm, chili chocolate.

• 2 weeks later...

since on sugar fix subject:

Personal favs during holidays below, and thats very unusual for a person like me that doesn't even have a sweet tooth, at all. :P

pepperminttb.jpg

and do you remeber these as a kid around holidays? I always thought the shapes and curves were out of sight! All flavors too and yep, only SPEC'S has that I know of.

crimpribbontb.jpg

The darkest I have seen is Dagoba Organic Chocolate. It is their "Eclipse" bar, at 87% cacao. It's pretty doggone pure. I found it at Rice Epicurean.

I've been buying chunks of dark chocolate from Central Market for the last year or so, and breaking off a little bit every day to eat. I went from the 65% up to the 78%...but last time I went all-out and bought the 98%.

Little did I know that at point it's beyond bitter.

However, eating it with a little bit of raw sugar fixes that right up. It's actually very good that way.

Of course, I'm one of those that doesn't eat milk chocolate. I've always preferred dark chocolate.

I've been buying chunks of dark chocolate from Central Market for the last year or so, and breaking off a little bit every day to eat. I went from the 65% up to the 78%...but last time I went all-out and bought the 98%.

Little did I know that at point it's beyond bitter.

However, eating it with a little bit of raw sugar fixes that right up. It's actually very good that way.

Of course, I'm one of those that doesn't eat milk chocolate. I've always preferred dark chocolate.

Okay, that's just insane :lol: 98%!!! My lips are all puckery at the thought :blink:

Hubby bought me some Godiva yesterday, and inside the assortment was a 70% chocolate square. I have to say, it was just marvelous. Smooth as silk and very lightly sweet, no bitterness.

I believe it was one of the "Reserve" type bars...it certainly wasn't the standard "Hershey's Special Dark" that's been around for ages.

and try to avoid buying any chocolate bars at most dollar stores. Usually expired way beyond date. Real blah! :angry:

I tend to really dislike regular milk chocolates. They always taste too sweet and have a funky spoiled milk aftertaste.

Hershey's milk chocolate has a slight spoiled milk taste (probably unintentional at first, but now part of their signature flavor), but good milk chocolate shouldn't. Ritter Sport's "Alpenmilch" is exquisite.

Back to dark chocolate: Does anyone else out there love dark chocolate Raisinettes? I hope they survive all this anti-oxidant hoopla.

Archived