Top Floor Apartment

I am going to have an opportunity to move into a different unit in my current apartment building. Basically, the management could not come up with a soltuion to the problem we are having with noisy pipes (see this thread), and he offered to let me move at no charge before my lease is up.

The unit he has offered me has a nicer floor plan than where I currently live, and his idea of letting me move sounds fair. The only real downside is it's on the 4th floor which is the top floor of my building.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with apartments on the top floor. I am guessing my electricity bill will increase in the summer if I live there, but does anybody know by how much compared to the 3rd floor? Will the cost of air conditioning always cost substantially more on the top floor, or is it possible that if the building is well insulated it might not be so bad?

I really don't want to end up paying a lot more than what I am currently paying for air conditioning in the summer, but I really like this new apartment, not to mention the fact that it would be quieter than where I currently live.

Any thoughts?

I am going to have an opportunity to move into a different unit in my current apartment building. Basically, the management could not come up with a soltuion to the problem we are having with noisy pipes (see this thread), and he offered to let me move at no charge before my lease is up.

The unit he has offered me has a nicer floor plan than where I currently live, and his idea of letting me move sounds fair. The only real downside is it's on the 4th floor which is the top floor of my building.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with apartments on the top floor. I am guessing my electricity bill will increase in the summer if I live there, but does anybody know by how much compared to the 3rd floor? Will the cost of air conditioning always cost substantially more on the top floor, or is it possible that if the building is well insulated it might not be so bad?

I really don't want to end up paying a lot more than what I am currently paying for air conditioning in the summer, but I really like this new apartment, not to mention the fact that it would be quieter than where I currently live.

Any thoughts?

If it's a flat roof building, there will definitely be a difference. Either way, you will be open to two unairconditioned spaces (roof and front) as opposed to one (front).

The building is relatively new. And the roof is not flat. Does that make a difference?

it could. if ceiling is insulated well, you'd probably luck out. do you know any of the current tenants up there? maybe they could tell you their approximate pwr bill.

You also have to figure in the vertical distance to the fan unit. If t is on the first floor as many are you are having to pump air further which requires more energy.

WOW...that's the stupidest, most incorrect thing I've read all month, and I've read quite a lot of stupid, incorrect stuff this month.

WOW...that's the stupidest, most incorrect thing I've read all month, and I've read quite a lot of stupid, incorrect stuff this month.

You're right that the energy required to pump the refrigerant the extra distance is negligible, however in the past I've found the extra heat loss due to poor insulation on that extra run length is significant. So much so that I'd recommended they drop 25 or 50cfm per ton off the blower to keep the dewpoint down in those upper apartments that suffer this.

Jason

Archived