Home At 5103 South Braeswood Blvd.

HoustonRealtor

After the Chron article, I had an e-mail from Rob Griffith, of Trellis Properties -- a company that he says restores older homes. He said he and his life partnerhave signed a contract on the place. And his business partner, Rebecca Perez, is even now getting bids to restore the house "to its former glory."

I sent him contact info for Houston Mod. And I can't wait to see the place.

After the Chron article, I had an e-mail from Rob Griffith, of Trellis Properties -- a company that he says restores older homes. He said he and his life partnerhave signed a contract on the place. And his business partner, Rebecca Perez, is even now getting bids to restore the house "to its former glory."

I sent him contact info for Houston Mod. And I can't wait to see the place.

Did I read something on Rebecca Perez living in that log cabin house in Park Place?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The Formica House has managed to attract yet another buyer who loves the place and wants to redo it and live there. There should be an announcement soon. Lets hope the sale goes through this time.

Does anyone know where the PPG House of New Dimension is located? It was designed by Waller Poage, the same architect as the Formica House, as a showcase for Pittsburgh Plate Glass company in 1966, a year before the Formica house.

• 3 weeks later...

Another contract falls through. Back on the market today with a price adjustment to $277,777

The Formica House has managed to attract yet another buyer who loves the place and wants to redo it and live there. There should be an announcement soon. Lets hope the sale goes through this time.

Does anyone know where the PPG House of New Dimension is located? It was designed by Waller Poage, the same architect as the Formica House, as a showcase for Pittsburgh Plate Glass company in 1966, a year before the Formica house.

• 1 month later...
From what I've heard, it needs to be a cash sale. The banks don't want to finance it. There are several interested buyers, but no one can get the loans.

Jason

There is probably something to that. I wouldn't loan money on it, and I'm not as conservative as my bank!

flipper

• 2 weeks later...

flipper

ps. I predict this house will sell for less than 200k eventually.

Wow, that would be very low, for Meyerland prices. Sounds like the way it is headed, though. I would think because of flood issues, Dan, and the times.

The never ending saga...

This house went under contract yesterday and back to active today.

flipper

ps. I predict this house will sell for less than 200k eventually.

Flipper,

Would that make it a very attractive teardown? Or is the location going to pretty much limit it to someone who wants to live in that house?

Wow, that would be very low, for Meyerland prices. Sounds like the way it is headed, though. I would think because of flood issues, Dan, and the times.

I say it mainly because of the location. It's on a busy street. The flooding sure doesn't help though. Meyerland is still strong, save for the glut of new construction currently active.

flipper

Flipper,

Would that make it a very attractive teardown? Or is the location going to pretty much limit it to someone who wants to live in that house?

I'm a pretty conservative guy so I will never be tempted to buy a house in a questionable location just because the price is low. I'm continually amazed by builders and investors that will snap up cheap land in bad locations though. That new house on the corner of BW8 & "?" in Memorial Bend comes to mind.

There will always be people willing to build their own house or live in the existing house on a busy street. It just takes time, and a low enough price.

flipper

Actually, the only way to get a halfway decent picture of the front of that house is to either be there at sunrise, or to use lighting. It faces north, so it's almost always in shadow. Either that, or photoshop the hell out of it (that's what I did, and it still doesn't look very good).

• 1 month later...

Hmm... so this house isn't lacking for interested buyers, but nobody can swing financing for it. Are people eveyrhwere just having a hard time getting financing for houses (given the fact that we're in a recession), or is there something about this house (foreclouse, too much fixing up required, whatever) that is scaring banks off?

Hmm... so this house isn't lacking for interested buyers, but nobody can swing financing for it. Are people eveyrhwere just having a hard time getting financing for houses (given the fact that we're in a recession), or is there something about this house (foreclouse, too much fixing up required, whatever) that is scaring banks off?

It's the house, the location and the flood map.

flipper