http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/16/hr2046116-1.jpg

http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/16/hr2046116-2.jpg

http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/16/hr2046116-3.jpg

http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/16/hr2046116-5.jpg

http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/16/hr2046116-6.jpg

http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/16/hr2046116-7.jpg

http://harpictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/16/hr2046116-8.jpg

• Like 1

Is this a "lot value" kind of sale? or does the price reflect a salvageable structure? I have looked at two foreclosed townhouses, one's asking price was almost $75K less than what was loaned on it, the other similar, so it could be possible to get this for a lot less than asking.

My wife absolutely loves this house. We have noticed it looking unmanaged lately. I'd say it's high for lot value but you never know.

Can any of you with the experience of going to the Meyerland plans office go and check the plans out and see who the architect is?

Jason

I can go tomorrow and pick up the plans if they are still available.

I heard a while back that this house is actually the "House of Formica", not the house on Moonlight Drive as previously mentioned in the other thread. I'm not sure which one is correct, but just something I was told by a lifetime Meyerland resident.

Edited by missjanel

I stopped by MCIA this morning and no one who was authorized to check out plans was there. I'll stop back by this afternoon or tomorrow morning hoping for better luck.

I stopped by the house and snapped some pics. Two are posted here and more can be found here http://tinyurl.com/2pead5

This house is in pretty good shape considering that it is a forclosure. I think it has ton's of potential. Very few modifications have been made over the years. The original sconces in the living area, hallway and master are very striking. I also really like the rocket shaped door hinges. There was lots of formica, included on the walls too.

7x9sdww.jpg

8eurxco.jpg

Edited by missjanel

Wow. You should send these photos to the realtor to replace some of the ones on HAR.

With the photos the realtor posted, it's almost as if she WANTS it to be torn down.

I don't do foreclosures, but if I did, I would have to sign up for the Crappy Photos 101 class. Foreclosure listing agents (or their $6/hour guy that runs errands for them) get the WORST pics I have ever seen.

I think with some good pics some of the foreclosures could sell much faster as buyers may actually want to LOOK at the houses after seeing them online.

I don't do foreclosures, but if I did, I would have to sign up for the Crappy Photos 101 class. Foreclosure listing agents (or their $6/hour guy that runs errands for them) get the WORST pics I have ever seen.

I think with some good pics some of the foreclosures could sell much faster as buyers may actually want to LOOK at the houses after seeing them online.

I like how the HUD foreclosures usually have the "mandatory" photo of the taped down toilet lid. :P

Why don't realtors know how to use a camera properly?

I take offense to that. But seriously people need to realize that taking good photographs requires expensive equipment and a trained eye for what looks good. I spent many years in portrait photography and technology before I became a realtor. The photographs that I posted were taken with a DSLR with a wide angle lens and off camera flash. Not every agent is able to spend several thousands of dollars for photographic equipment or spend months in the classroom learning to use such equipment. Agents do the best that they can with what they have or they hire a professional to do it for them. No agent listing a foreclosure is going to have a professional come out and take the shots. At least I have yet to see a professional marketing piece spread for a foreclosure. The prices are usually low enough that the house sells itself or people buy it just because they 'think' they are getting a good deal.

FWIW I think the photos I took are awful but I didn't have a tripod with me and I was in a huge hurry as I had someone waiting in the car for me. I hope to go back and retake them when I have a little more time.

I don't want to sound ungrateful for the praise because I'm not ungrateful. It's just that I see both sides. The greatest compliment though would come from someone actually buying the house because of the photographs posted on this forum. That would be awesome.

Anyone, anyone???

Janel, I didn't mean to offend you, particularly in offering a compliment. And your background and equipment certainly explains the quality of your pictures. However, I strongly feel there's a middle ground. With a decent digital camera and tripod, a modicum of study, even independently from books or the web, and software to fix the really bad lighting situations, one can take dramatically better pictures right away. As good as yours, no, but far better than random point and shoot with no thought to lighting or flash range. Not to mention the choice of what to highlight, how to crop, and just getting the junky clutter out of the picture. I've spent a good deal of time on HAR, both for architectural interest and because my family is planning to move in the next twelve months, and I have seen a very wide variation in the quality of photos. The worst of them make the unfortunate houses look very unattractive, and I stand by my comment in those cases.

No offense taken, hence the seriously comment. I do agree that some realtors don't really make much effort but for the most part realtors really do try. But I don't want to turn this into a debate a photographic quality or good and bad realtors. The topic is really about what great potential this house has and highlighting it's original features. I hope my pictures did that and I'm glad you enjoyed them.

So a couple questions for one of the realtors on this board. Has this house flooded? It would seem likely given its location. Secondly, what is a realistic estimate of what it will go for? I believe on most foreclosures you can see what the bank loaned on it, etc to give a ballpark figure. thanks

I went and saw this house yesterday, and it has some amazing features. I think it's likely that it is the House of Formica, for every surface--walls, cabinets, bars, etc.--is covered in Formica. I don't think there's is a drop of paint anywhere.

But the house is also really odd. I like strange, and this one is strange without being cool. Some of the design features just aren't right. Therefore, it's possible that we're heading for another Moonlight. I hope not, but I doubt the house will go for anything above lot value.

I don't have any knowledge of the home previously flooding but it very may well haven given it's proximity to the bayou. A sellers disclosure is not available since the house is a foreclosure.

The current asking price is just under $103 per square foot which is one of the lowest priced homes in Meyerland. The house is large and the lot too is quite large. The downside is that it's at a busy intersection. But it's pretty well preserved and has lots of potential.

I went and saw this house yesterday, and it has some amazing features. I think it's likely that it is the House of Formica, for every surface--walls, cabinets, bars, etc.--is covered in Formica. I don't think there's is a drop of paint anywhere.

But the house is also really odd. I like strange, and this one is strange without being cool. Some of the design features just aren't right. Therefore, it's possible that we're heading for another Moonlight. I hope not, but I doubt the house will go for anything above lot value.

What are people's thoughts in general on the idea of Formica on walls? The previous owners of our house painted every last surface with cheap white paint including the paneling. We have been toying with the idea of covering the paneling with formica instead of luan or something else. This is the design - http://www.formica.com/publish/site/na/us/...9012.0001.html#

And we were going to hang it horizontally instead of vertically. We plan to be here for a while but not the rest of our lives so I'm worried that it would scare off even modern minded people that would be looking at the house.

Therefore, it's possible that we're heading for another Moonlight. I hope not, but I doubt the house will go for anything above lot value.
I doubt it. No reason to risk putting a spec a lot on a main drag when interior lots are available. flipper
And we were going to hang it horizontally instead of vertically. We plan to be here for a while but not the rest of our lives so I'm worried that it would scare off even modern minded people that would be looking at the house.
I like it, but it will scare off ~80% of the buyers IMO. Plus, what if you change your mind on where you want your pictures hung?