MCM Churches?

Willowisp

Hey all,

I'm looking to have a list of Mid-Century Modern Churches here. I got most of these from "the guide". I'm hoping to write a few of them up on the website if I can get the info and good pics for them. If any of you go to or went to these churches, it would be amazing if you would like to do a write up for it on houstonmod.org.

Temple Emanu El by MacKie and Kamrath, 1500 Sunset

the church Go Atomic brought up over a year ago...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=4775

First Christian Church - Hamilton Brown, 1959 - 1601 Sunset

Rothko Chapel - Barnstone and Aubrey, 1971 - 1409 Sul Ross

Chapel of St. Basil - Philip Johnson, 1997 - St. Thomas University

St. John the Divine - 2450 River Oaks blvd

St. Michael - Edward Schulte w/ Charles Hightower, 1966 - 1801 Sage

Emerson Unitarian - MacKie & Kamrath, 1974 - 1900 Bering

Memorial Drive Presbyterian - MacKie & Kamrath, 1959 - 11612 Memorial

Faith American Lutheran - Travis Broesche, 1959 - 4600 Bellaire

Congregation Beth Israel Temple - Irving Klein, 1967 - 5600 N. Braeswood

St. Rose - Donald Barthelme, 1948 - 3604 Brinkman

Park Place Baptist - Ben F. Greenwood with E. Gene Hines, 1961 - 4101 Broadway

Glenbrook United Methodist, 8635 Glen Valley Drive, 77061. I don't know who designed it, but it was built in the mid-50s, and has a dramatic swoopy pointed roof. Scroll to the bottom of the page for an exterior photo, which links to interior shots:

http://www.glenbrookumc.org/

Also: First Unitarian, 5210 Fannin. Original low-slung flat-roofed sanctuary designed 1952 by Thomas E. Greacen II. "The influence of Eliel Saarinen's Middle Western churches of the 1940s is evident in this understated complex," Stephen Fox wrote in the Guide. Addition, in 1996, by Val Glitsch.

Here's a photo:

http://firstuu.org/html/fc_history.htm

the baptist seminary on broadway adjacent to sims bayou
I believe that the Baptist Seminary on Broadway and Sims Bayou is the same as Park Place Baptist Church. It's an awesome building with mod covered walkways. Fits in great with the mod houses in Glenbrook Valley and is perfectly placed on the Bayou.

Everyone should check out Glenbrook United Methodist Church next time your in Glenbrook Valley. It's in the less desirable section of the neighborhood but is worth the drive by. It has small intermittently placed stained glass windows on the external front wall of what appears to be the front altar area of the santuary. The Glenbrook Civic club meets in one of the rooms of the parish hall but I've never been able to sneak away to get a view of the sanctuary. RPS, Stolix, and other Glenbrook mod enthusiasts will need to do that sometime.

Everyone should check out Glenbrook United Methodist Church next time your in Glenbrook Valley. It's in the less desirable section of the neighborhood but is worth the drive by. It has small intermittently placed stained glass windows on the external front wall of what appears to be the front altar area of the santuary. The Glenbrook Civic club meets in one of the rooms of the parish hall but I've never been able to sneak away to get a view of the sanctuary. RPS, Stolix, and other Glenbrook mod enthusiasts will need to do that sometime.

Isn't St. Basil's Chapel at St. Thomas a Post Mod church?

9GlenbrookUNITEDMethodistChurch9-3-.jpg

Thanks all, yeah I started the thread thinking MCM then I took out the guide and just started typing in the ones I liked that were in there.

My hope is that anyone interested in writing up their favorite churches will do so for inclusion on the website (with credit to you of course). I think I'd be happy with any entries so please consider writing one.

As for myself, I'm going to contiunue to focus on the residences for now, but I may pay a church or 2 a visit. It's just getting to the point where it's a little funny how many houses I've written on, but I've neglected the commercial and institutional sections terribly. It just goes to show where my interests are.

That Glenbrook Methodist is mindblowing! What skateboarder came up with that idea?

Jason

One that I just remembered today, as I drive by it daily: Centro Cristiano at 5621 North Fwy. Unfortunately, there aren't any pictures of the building on their website (although you can get a feel for it with the birdseye view at maps.live.com, but the aerial shots don't give you the full impact that a front elevation would). It was formerly Glenn Rose Baptist Church; I remember attending the wedding of our next-door neighbor's son there close to forty years ago.

I had wondered about this for a long time, at the northwest corner of the intersection of 59 and I-10:

pgmbc.jpg

Turns out it's Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church. Google Earth and Live Local are your friends!

But I can't find out much more about it.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The original, late sixties sanctuary at St. John Vianney, now used as the chapel.  BTW, it has wonderful acoustics.  Their massive new sanctuary, not so much - the priests have to be mic'ed to be heard.

7100 Block of N.Main at E. 31st St.

... I watched that circular church at 59 & I-10 for years. It sat there with it's rusty skeletal frame for many years. Was nice to see it finally completed.

post-5666-0-42149300-1404141992_thumb.jp

Archived