Sign in to follow this  
Alpha

Holt Street In Bellaire

I grew up on Holt Street in Bellaire, and in 1957, my dad took these pictures from the front yard of our house. He was a professional photographer and would often test out new cameras by taking pictures of ordinary things. That's why he had taken the pictures from the roof of the Village Theater that I posted a few weeks ago.

I found these as contact prints on a sheet of 8 by 10 paper. I scanned and enlarged them.

If any of you grew up in Bellaire, these houses will look very familiar. Most had two or three bedrooms and only one bathroom. Many of them also had a screened porch in the back. We had ours made into a den in the late 50s.

My sister and I went on a nostalgia trip last Sunday and drove around town looking at all the places we have lived. All of these houses are gone now, as is the one where we lived. It kind of makes me sad to look at these pictures, because I think of the fun times I had playing with the children who lived in the houses.

Street1.jpg

Street2.jpg

Street3.jpg

Street4.jpg

Street5.jpg

Street6.jpg

Edited by Alpha

Thanks for sharing. I wish I could have seen what the streets looked like with all of those cool cedar roofs when they were still new and brown.

flipper

Thanks for posting these...I spent alot of my childhood on Holt St.

Is this (present-day) inner or outer loop?

Note how dinky all the trees are.. Not that way now..

Westbury is much the same way. In 1960 Westbury

was fairly bald.. Not the case now..

Like that Studebaker parked out front..

I think that was a "Hawk"..

MK

Thanks for posting these...I spent alot of my childhood on Holt St.

Is this (present-day) inner or outer loop?

This is the 4600 block, just inside the loop, but closer to Avenue B than to Post Oak.

In 1956, four houses at the end of each block (next to Post Oak) were removed in preparation for construction of the loop. It was about 10 more years before it was finished.

Note how dinky all the trees are.. Not that way now..

Westbury is much the same way. In 1960 Westbury

was fairly bald.. Not the case now..

Like that Studebaker parked out front..

I think that was a "Hawk"..

MK

I just asked my dad about the Studebaker. He said that it wasn't a Hawk, but he doesn't remember what it was called.

This is the 4600 block, just inside the loop, but closer to Avenue B than to Post Oak.

In 1956, four houses at the end of each block (next to Post Oak) were removed in preparation for construction of the loop. It was about 10 more years before it was finished.

Wow - same block! My parents are still holding on to an original, and one neighbor is an original owner. Everything else is just about gone.

4622 was just demolished last week.

I just asked my dad about the Studebaker. He said that it wasn't a Hawk, but he doesn't remember what it was called.

It was a Hawk, but they had various models of Hawks.. IE: Champion, Commander, President.

They also had different Hawk names. IE: Flight Hawk, Power Hawk, Sky Hawk..

http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/diffhawk.htm

Not sure, but judging on the side body contour, I'd say it was a 56 or earlier.

I don't think it was a 57, as they seemed to have did away with the side

contour on the door. As far as I can tell, the 57's and later were smooth

on the doors.

Actually, from reading that, 1956 may well have been the first year for Hawks.

So if that is the case, the one in your picture is a 1956 model.

Edit..With further review of the models, I can tell it had to be one of two..

Either the Flight Hawk, "Champion", or the Power Hawk "Commander".

These two models had the window pillar. The other two models has a

pillarless side window.

So ask him if either Champion, or Commander rings a bell. It was one

of those two I'm fairly sure.

BTW, the difference between the two was the engine. The Champion had a

six.. The Commander had a V8.

MK

Edited by nm5k

Wow - same block! My parents are still holding on to an original, and one neighbor is an original owner. Everything else is just about gone.

4622 was just demolished last week.

When we drove down Holt last week, I noticed that 4601, 4603, and 4609 are originals. I didn't pay close attention after that, so I don't remember any of the other addresses.

Yeah...4601 (with an addition), 4603, 4609, 4612, 4613, 4616, 4618, 4620, 4624, 4625, 4627, 4628, and 4629 are original (about 40% - a lot higher than i thought).

The concentration is at the end of the block by the freeway (not as desirable to build a new million dollar house), but the values of those homes are a lot lower, so while the owners may hold on to them longer there will be a time when they will all go relatively cheap compared to the others.

Funny enough, I believe the first teardown on the block was at 4600 Holt in 1995-1996. The family that lived in the house bulldozed it and had another house built.

I found a 1951 Sanborn map of the area - only shows the even side of Holt St., though:

http://www.arch-ive.org/maps/sanborn_1513_1951.pdf

Boy now that takes me back! My grandparents lived on Maple first and then moved over to Holly til about 1971---and yes, they had the window air conditioners as well. Plus the little gas heaters throughout the house (gave it it's own unique smell!! lol )

Thanks a bunch for the photos. We moved from First street to 4300 block of Lafayette (a 2-block long street, same as Maple) in the Southdale addition, in 1957, sold that house in about 1982 for $45,000.00 :s

People used to ask why we wanted to live so far from Houston, dad worked on Bellaire Blvd and Acadamy at the Phone company, behind the theater, mom was a school crossing guard for Paul W. Horn, and later a columnist for the Bellaire Ttexan

I recall when Beechnut was built, it was the busiest freeway we ever saw, kept us kids from walking to the Bayou to swim and picnic.

That Studebaker is either a 53 or 54 model. Could be a Champion or Commander coupe. Both were also available as hardtops. Hawks did not become available until 1956. Studebaker-Packard then updated this model one last time in 1962 as the GT Hawk. The last GT Hawk's built were '64 models. Studebaker ceased auto production in South Bend, Indiana in December, 1963 and then finally in Hamilton, Ontario in March, 1966.

I recently began scanning all the color slides we have, and ran across some color photos of Holt Street in Bellaire. As you can see, from one of the pictures, the house across the street closed in their front porch. The original pictures were taken in 1957, and the color slides were from late 1959. The picture of the children on the driveway is facing west - toward Post Oak.

BeforeAfter.jpg25.jpg

Edited by Alpha

grew up on Jessamine in Bellaire 48-66, my wife grew up on the 4500 block of Maple. sold my parents house last year. a 2-1-1 it had never been updated except for wiring, appliances, but was in excellent condition. the original 16" square solid oak parque flooring was still beautiful, original cedar shakes in good shape. old Bellaire was just a small town at the edge of Houston in the early-mid 50s, with small acreage properties with horses and other livestock past the city limit at Bellaire Blvd and Chimney Rock - hard to imagine in today's Stepford Bellaire, land of the faux-stucco tract mansion.

Man, I hated scraping & painting those shingles on the side of those houses. Bad flashbacks.

Man, I hated scraping & painting those shingles on the side of those houses. Bad flashbacks.

I can relate. I painted quite a few of those old Bellaire homes. Of course you know the paint we were scraping was lead based and the shingles were asbestos. Something to look forward to in later life. :blush:

Edited by Fringe

I can relate. I painted quite a few of those old Bellaire homes. Of course you know the paint we were scraping was lead based and the shingles were asbestos. Something to look forward to in later life. :blush:

My wife would probably say that explains a lot.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting more photos!

My folks finally moved last year and surprisingly the buyer kept the house.

My grandparents lived on Holly St which is one street over about 5 houses west of 610 until 1992. They moved there around 1954 when my mom was 5 years old, about 4 years after the house was built. As stated 4 houses were removed east of Post Oak on each street for the construction of 610. Those Houses were less than 10 years old when they were demolished. It makes me wonder if the builders even bothered to check the freeway plans. It's pretty sad how they divided the neighborhood, but they really didn't have a choice. I can imagine a lot of people being pissed when it happened, but the state really didn't get public input like they do today. The freeway was pretty loud from my grandparents house. I remember hearing it while trying to go to sleep when I spent the night there.

Besides the freeway the neighborhood was very quiet and felt very safe. Crime began to be an issue in the 1990s which was one reason my grandparents moved, though it was much safer than where we lived on the Northside. Who ever bought the house made out as the value of it almost tripled by 2007. A lot of the houses have been demolished and newer, much bigger houses have been constructed. They were good houses with a lot of space, but my grandparents had foundation issues. It also wasn't sealed very well which allowed bugs from the outside to get in.

Thanks to the OP for the pics. I always wondered what it looked like back then. For some reason all of the pics my family took never showed the other homes in that area.

Edited by billyf