Clear Lake

citykid09

clear lake is pretty dull, centered around NASA so you have a bunch of middle class families, what do you expect?

i would much rather live downtown/midtown but i couldn't handle the commute everyday (many of my coworkers my age feel the same way), plus i have an apartment on the lake for half the price i would pay in town, so i make the trek on the weekend to actually have fun.

but there are no refineries, its pretty nice overall, except for the fact that the lake is connected to the gulf.

i can't wait for them to get NASA Parkway done, that'll make life easier down here.

Clear Lake/Kemah is nowhere neer dull if you have a little money. I have a friend who lives in Kemah right off the boardwalk (Kip st) and I have a blast everytime I'm there. On top of that it's a very clean area.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it relies on the original deeds as to what can happen on the land.  right now there's a big ruckus about converting the old golf course into townhomes.  the new owner of the course said he's not making money so he went to friendswood dev to get them to change the original deed.  residents are angry and circulating petitions.  Traffic is bad down there now, all these new townhomes will only exaserbate the problem.  much of the golf course also drains the area so many residents are worried that their homes will flood.

Well, it good to know they have some deed restrictions. Thanks for the info!

it relies on the original deeds as to what can happen on the land.  right now there's a big ruckus about converting the old golf course into townhomes.  the new owner of the course said he's not making money so he went to friendswood dev to get them to change the original deed.  residents are angry and circulating petitions.  Traffic is bad down there now, all these new townhomes will only exaserbate the problem.  much of the golf course also drains the area so many residents are worried that their homes will flood.

That's the one thing I don't like about the area, alot of traffic.

it's ok...but remember, the pasadena KKK group from the 70's moved down to the seabrook kemah/santa fe area. We went to a restaurant down there a few years ago (4 or so) and i had noticed how EVERYONE in the restaurant was caucasian. What's the likelyhood of that in Houston??? Another person in the group a guess started speaking loudly, before i knew it, the waitress, left us a note written on a napkin saying "watch out they are all around you" Talk about someone who was shocked! Our secretary from work is from there and she confirmed my suspicions about the KKK. So i personally don't go out after dark down there.

KKK in 2005...in Seabrook!?!? :huh: If this is indeed true, then how disappointingly sad. :(

when they moved out of Pasadena in the 80's....they just went a little further south. i'm not saying there are burning crosses or anything like that, but the mentality is surprisingly alive and well in the area.

Clear Lake/Kemah is nowhere neer dull if you have a little money. I have a friend who lives in Kemah right off the boardwalk (Kip st) and I have a blast everytime I'm there. On top of that it's a very clean area.

we enjoy going to clubs, ballgames, stuff like that. we have fun in clear lake, but you can't argue with the fact that if you live there, you're living in the definition of suburbia. the boardwalk is fun (but is deserted by 10-11 every night, more aimed towards families), and there are some great neighborhood bars, with molly's being my favorite, but the feel you get from living here is just dull, at least to me.

my coworker just moved to midtown, his commute is 22 minutes. i think i

KKK in 2005...in Seabrook!?!? :huh: If this is indeed true, then how disappointingly sad. :(

i live in seabrook, right at the edge on NASA 1 closer to clear lake. if you head east towards seabrook, it does get increasingly caucasian, and the texas stereotypes start kicking in. something you rarely see as you head into houston. but the people are really nice, and i've never had any problems in my 3 years here. if it really is there, i hope i never see it

(This was written by Peter Brown, AIA, for the Galveston Bay Preservation Society on the impacts of Bayport Terminal upon the surrounding communities. As much as I've always liked that area, the KKK presence is definitely not a plus, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to move there, especially people looking to retire by the shore, until the whole Bayport Terminal thing is completed.)

"Potential Land Use Impacts of the Proposed Bayport Facility

The proposed Bayport heavy industrial facility, in terms of commonly accepted national planning standards, published by the American Planning Association, the American Institute of Architects, and the American Institute of Landscape Architects, is a highly incompatible land use in a predominately residential/recreational area.

The anticipated adverse impacts are in three areas:

The Core Impact Area.

In the "Core" impact area, are those established residential neighborhoods (El Jardin del Mar, Seabrook, Shoreacres, and the southern part of La Porte) directly affected by the presence of a large industrial facility, particularly those neighborhoods in direct contact with noise, glare, traffic (primarily truck) congestion and shipping traffic. The likely impacts include declining property values, environmental nuisances (air pollution, smoke, glare, noise) and traffic congestion.

The Primary Impact Area

The primary impact area includes the portion east of Highway 146 from Morgan

I can't let the KKK comments go unchallenged. I'm Asian, and I grew up in CLC. I have never felt unwelcomed there. In fact I have never even noticed any sign of racism. Granted, 25 years ago, Seabrook and Kemah used to be composed of blue-collar fishing and petrochemical families. To negatively paint the entire region with a broad stroke is doing injustice to the majority of families there.

Some fantastic communities to check out:

Bay Oaks (consistantly listed as one of the top communities nationwide).

Northfork

Nassau Bay

Taylor Lake Village

South Shore Harbor

New exclusive communities in Seabrook.

I've moved to Midtown, but my parents and extended family still live in CLC. IN CLC, I see all races . . . lots of Indians (South Asian), Vietnamese, Philippinos, Middle Easterns, and of course Blacks, Whites, and Hispanics. . . and NO I have not seen any burning crosses.

I live in the innerloop, and prefer that kind of lifestyle. If I had to pick a 'burb, CLC would be my choice.

we enjoy going to clubs, ballgames, stuff like that. we have fun in clear lake, but you can't argue with the fact that if you live there, you're living in the definition of suburbia. the boardwalk is fun (but is deserted by 10-11 every night, more aimed towards families), and there are some great neighborhood bars, with molly's being my favorite, but the feel you get from living here is just dull, at least to me.

my coworker just moved to midtown, his commute is 22 minutes. i think i

I was talking to a colleagues of mine today who lives in CL. I asked him whether CL is similar Sugarland. He said he liked CL because it is quieter whereas Sugarland has more traffic. Now, I am not sure which is it: lot of traffic or quite.

Clear Lake, Kemah and Seabrook can get pretty bad at times. Some of it depends on where you live. it can actually be a real pain in the butt getting into town if you live in Kemah or Seabrook, especially on a Saturday or Sunday.

Although the area in question is deffinately more quiet than SL, I don't find SL that bad with traffic except at 6 and 90. Alot of times I drive through from Katy right at rush hour and generally don't have big problems. Of course that whole issue changes if your coming from in town on the Southwest freeway.

I can't let the KKK comments go unchallenged. I'm Asian, and I grew up in CLC. I have never felt unwelcomed there. In fact I have never even noticed any sign of racism. Granted, 25 years ago, Seabrook and Kemah used to be composed of blue-collar fishing and petrochemical families. To negatively paint the entire region with a broad stroke is doing injustice to the majority of families there.

agree, clear lake is very diverse, and nice. i was just saying it gets pretty white as you head towards seabrook and kemah. but i've never had any problems, the people are all really nice. grew up there as well, and loved it.

(This was written by Peter Brown, AIA, for the Galveston Bay Preservation Society on the impacts of Bayport Terminal upon the surrounding communities. As much as I've always liked that area, the KKK presence is definitely not a plus, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to move there, especially people looking to retire by the shore, until the whole Bayport Terminal thing is completed.)

A bit confused here. This article is suggesting potentially negative impact of Bayport Terminal on the area. However, you are suggesting that you wouldnt want anyone to move there until that terminal is complete.

Is this article exaggerating things?

Nice pics.  Isn't it funny across the bridge is withing the Pasadena city limits.

Always thought that was odd.

yeah, it's pretty annoying. my address is seabrook, but i'm under pasadena jurisdiction (for police/fire), and about a block from el lago. also half a mile from houston city limits.

I"m not saying CLC is Vidor. I've worked in CLC for 15 yrs. I don't live down there. But one of the few times i went out at night, I had the KKK experience.

Our secretary is a life long resident of the area. she confirmed that unfortunately they did migrate to the Seabrook/Kemah/Santa Fe area after they left Pasadena (70's/80's). I know there are racists everywhere that just can't be helped. But when we were eating at Seabrook Classic Cafe that night, there was a "meeting" going on. There definitely was a scared look on her face. i've been to that place so many times for lunch with no problems whatsoever.

I"m not saying CLC is Vidor.  I've worked in CLC for 15 yrs.  I don't live down there.  But one of the few times i went out at night, I had the KKK experience. 

Our secretary is a life long resident of the area.  she confirmed that unfortunately they did migrate to the Seabrook/Kemah/Santa Fe area after they left Pasadena (70's/80's).  I know there are racists everywhere that just can't be helped.  But when we were eating at Seabrook Classic Cafe that night, there was a "meeting" going on.  There definitely was a scared look on her face.  i've been to that place so many times for lunch with no problems whatsoever.

that scares me. i've lived a mile from there for the past few years. never seen anything like that, but i usually go towards clear lake or into houston when i go out at night, or the boardwalk.

i also lived in clear lake from '88-'98 and never heard of anything like that...

i know they used to be in pasadena but i heard they were long gone.

A bit confused here. This article is suggesting potentially negative impact of Bayport Terminal on the area. However, you are suggesting that you wouldnt want anyone to move there until that terminal is complete.

Is this article exaggerating things?

I don't know what the potential impact will be, maybe it won't be as bad as Peter Brown paints it, maybe it won't be as nice as the Port of Houston Authority paints it, who knows, but I don't think I would want to recommend the area to anyone until everything is said and done with, however long that takes.

I don't know what the potential impact will be, maybe it won't be as bad as Peter Brown paints it, maybe it won't be as nice as the Port of Houston Authority paints it, who knows, but I don't think I would want to recommend the area to anyone until everything is said and done with, however long that takes.

We might be dead before that happens...btw Peter is running for City Council again. So he has his motives for this article.

Although I don't plan on being dead in 20 years (the estimated time of completion for the Bayport Container Terminal project), hey, you never know...

And I will amend my earlier statement about not recommending to anyone. I would not recommend the Seabrook area to anyone looking for a peaceful retirement retreat by the shore, but I would recommend the entire area to investors looking to pick up properties dirt-cheap when all the former residents decide they've had enough and pack up and want to get the heck outa there. The Bayport project is already underway, so investors are probably already scouring the area for longtimers ready to dump and run.

Good point about investors getting into Seabrook. This area seems like it can become an upscale living area with condo towers. And with that rendering floating around of a tower around Clear Lake for condos, I can see other developers considering this idea.

Archived