Caravan On Northbound Highway 249 On Saturday

MKowala

This past Saturday between 11:00 and 11:30, Northbound 249 was closed and a caravan of vehicles was going down the center lane. It was lead by a school bus, followed by numerous semi trucks, including several HEB trucks, and MW cleaners vans. They all had white flags on them as well.

Anybody have any idea what may have been going on? I didn't get the name of the school district off the bus, but I know it wasn't a local district.

We drove by the new HEB around this time, and there were 50-100 chairs out front full of HEB staff members. I suppose they were having an orientation of some type. While I imagine it's possible such a "caravan" could have been for the store, it seems unlikely to close the freeway for them.

I saw the same type of freeway closure last week on I-45, but then realized it was the Presidential motorcade. (Maybe he switched to a school bus from the limo when he got to the north side). ;)

I stopped by on my way home from UH today. It wasn't as packed as the Cypress one was onit's first day. It was nice too.

BTW - gas is 2.75 a gallon there.

We've filled up there a few times since the gas station opened a week or so ago.

Yesterday, I decided to check out the store (at 7:15am) before the crowd really picked up. By the time I left at 8:00, it was getting pretty full. The store itself is pretty nice, with the added selection these hybrid stores offer. I was struck by toy and harware sections, as they seemed pretty big for a grocery store.... and I'd never go grocery shopping to buy toys.

I'm sure we'll shop there regularly, as it's basically across the street from our neighborhood. The prices surprisingly seem average to even a little cheaper than the other stores in the area. For example, I bought a can of almonds at Kroger at Gleannloch on Sunday for $3.99. The exact same can was $2.99 yesterday at Vintage Market. Hopefully the lower prices will last. We'll see...

• The title was changed to Caravan On Northbound Highway 249 On Saturday

Archived