Rosenberg's Old Super K Mart Sold

ChannelTwoNews

In today's Fort Bend Herald, it was mentioned that just within the past week, The Clay Group of Houston had purchased the 165k square foot building which has been vacant since 2003. This is great news as the building has a high profile location along TX-36 & the Southwest Freeway and has been somewhat of an eyesore since then. The structure will be redesigned inside and out and may be subdivided into as many as 15 spaces with a grocery store as the anchor. What wasn't mentioned was if the grocery store would be built within or in addition to the pre-existing structure though.

• 5 years later...

Over the past few years, only a few tenants have moved into the space, but they are generally larger ones.

Currently, the center is home to a Just Brakes in the former Auto-Service area, Baskins Western Wear, a chinese buffet and now one of the DPS "Mega Centers"

http://www.click2houston.com/news/DPS-opens-new-Mega-Centers/-/1735978/17775598/-/g3b5bgz/-/index.html

Aside from this development, back in the mid-to-late 90s, it looked like the movement was to turn the intersection of 59 and 36 into the major retail corridor. For the longest time, there was even a billboard promoting it as the "Fort Bend Crossroads" or something similar. Then again, this is when the Super K & all of the pad sites were open... well before the Reading Road intersection began to develop the way it has.

• 1 month later...

Was surprised when I went by here on my last visit back, a few weeks ago. The old Hollywood video which had been abandoned for a while has been turned into a Safelite Auto Glass location while a new RaceWay gas station was being built catty-corner to the Just Brakes. Slowly, but surely it seems to be recovering...

Even saw the old Citgo/Burger King is being renovated nearby - one of three gas stations near a corner, if you count the RaceWay.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah - the Burger King/Citgo closed when they put in the new Burger King down at Brazos Town Center - I figured they just moved to a better location.  

The old one was from the 70's/ early 80's and was really showing it's age.    The remodeled one is almost finished and looks like the new ones.    And the gas station half is very upgraded.    Real gas islands with actual covers over them.      It's branded a Handi-Stop now.

Oh - and the Buffet in the old K-mart closed about 6 months ago.

But on a good note - across the freeway in the Lowes parking lot,  the old closed Starbucks turned into a Wendys a while back.    More Frostys are always a good thing.

Yeah - the Burger King/Citgo closed when they put in the new Burger King down at Brazos Town Center - I figured they just moved to a better location.  

The old one was from the 70's/ early 80's and was really showing it's age.    The remodeled one is almost finished and looks like the new ones.    And the gas station half is very upgraded.    Real gas islands with actual covers over them.      It's branded a Handi-Stop now.

Oh - and the Buffet in the old K-mart closed about 6 months ago.

But on a good note - across the freeway in the Lowes parking lot,  the old closed Starbucks turned into a Wendys a while back.    More Frostys are always a good thing.

Yeah, not too surprised at the one in the shopping center on Avenue H closing. That whole center has been going downhill over the past decade, even before Brazos Town Center opened. That center is probably worth it's own thread though.Or not...

Good to hear about the new one though. Even though it was only built in the mid-90's, it was definitely in need of a refresh.

Saw the Wendy's when I was back there a couple of months back... still hard to believe I actually went inside back when it was still a starbucks. Still seems a little surreal in a way. Was impressed that the Whataburger nearby is a stand-alone now... it's definitely a faster experience than when it was in the gas station.

• 9 years later...

Wanted to update this thread regarding the parcels on the side facing the Southwest Freeway.

Golden Corral actually built a new restaurant just east of the Discount Tire a few years back. 

The building that was originally The PepperMill, then Ninfa's and finally El Acapulco, was demolished back in March of this year.

In leasing materials, the former K-Mart is now referred to as Rosenberg Towne Center. Seems to have decent traffic each time I've been by in the past.