House Approves Broad Protections For Gay Workers

millennica

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps I am ignorant on the subject, but i was under the impression it is already illegal to discriminate in the work place, including homosexuality. So why is this important or even needed?

This is a common misconception, that it is already illegal to discrimate in the workplace based on sexual orientation. It is not, (with the exception of a few states that have passed laws already).

I am not sure I like this, not good? Not on it's face but on the premise it sets. I am not for discrimination. I know there are a lot of homosexuals on this board and I will take heat but thats OK. I want to respect the rights of others, ie. leave them alone to do their own lives, but I personally have a hard time relating homosexuality to anything but choice. I really don't want to bait or get into an arguement about it, because we know my mind or yours will not change. I have tried to inform myself on my opinion by reading on both sides of the aisle.

I feel based on my beliefs on the origin or cause of homosexuality that the movement to allow and establish civil and other rights to homosexuals sets a precident that opens up the possibility for the same establishment possible for other (you are going to hate this) fringe groups that are not (in my belief) born with something (inalienable) that by law already guarantees rights not already established.

Basically unless there is scientic proof, an accepted consesus, proof that homosexuality is not chosen and is not deviant behavior, I'll continue Ithink believing this way.

What a crock of lube. The gay mafia lobby strikes again.

That's one hell of a lobby they have for being <10% of the population. And they own the Democrats.

What a damn shame. This country has lost it.

Is Micheal "savage" Weiner channeling through you? Gay mafia. What a crock. Were they going to send Elton John over to break the nails of Congressmen who didn't vote for it?

I am not sure I like this, not good? Not on it's face but on the premise it sets. I am not for discrimination. I know there are a lot of homosexuals on this board and I will take heat but thats OK. I want to respect the rights of others, ie. leave them alone to do their own lives, but I personally have a hard time relating homosexuality to anything but choice. I really don't want to bait or get into an arguement about it, because we know my mind or yours will not change. I have tried to inform myself on my opinion by reading on both sides of the aisle.

I feel based on my beliefs on the origin or cause of homosexuality that the movement to allow and establish civil and other rights to homosexuals sets a precident that opens up the possibility for the same establishment possible for other (you are going to hate this) fringe groups that are not (in my belief) born with something (inalienable) that by law already guarantees rights not already established.

Basically unless there is scientic proof, an accepted consesus, proof that homosexuality is not chosen and is not deviant behavior, I'll continue Ithink believing this way.

If homosexuality is a choice, then heterosexuality is the alternative choice. Do you think an employer should have a legal right to discriminate against heterosexuals?

I just don't like any type of junk legislation forced on anyone.

If y'all want to be "equal" (and I think you are) then why ask for special protective legislation.

Are you homos really that abused in the workplace? I've been in the professional workforce for a number of years now and it has never been an issue in hiring and firing.

If y'all want to be "equal" (and I think you are) then why ask for special protective legislation.

Are you homos really that abused in the workplace? I've been in the professional workforce for a number of years now and it has never been an issue in hiring and firing.

Yes we are. Just because it doesn't happen where you work doesn't mean all is well and good everywhere. I assume you work for a company with it's own non-discrimination policy? Try being a 'mo and working for redneck piping/plant design company.

You have expert perspective on being discriminated? Wait, are you a straight white older male?

I am not a homosexual, but I have seen homosexuals being made fun of at the workplace.

Point taken on the redneck workplace. This must be a silent crime becuae I sure never hear about it. And I am a newshound.

As far as discrimination, straight white males are target A#1. We are the minority today.

Can somebody protect me? Where is Nancy Pelosi when you need her!

I never said heterosexuality was a choice.

No, you said homosexuality was a choice, which implies that heterosexuality is also a choice. If one is capable of choosing attraction to the same sex, then one must also be capable of choosing attraction to the opposite sex.

Are you claiming that homosexuals get to choose, but heterosexuals don't? Are heterosexuals born heterosexual and homosexuals born choosers? I'm confused.

there is no such thing as a right to discriminate?

Huh?

Point taken on the redneck workplace. This must be a silent crime becuae I sure never hear about it. And I am a newshound.

As far as discrimination, straight white males are target A#1. We are the minority today.

Can somebody protect me? Where is Nancy Pelosi when you need her!

Hmm, the straight white old man, the so called minority that holds most of the power in a workplace sure needs protection.

I am not a homosexual, but I have seen homosexuals being made fun of at the workplace.

All the corporate training that I've had pounded into my head says that this is sexual harassment and is already illegal (unless it's done in the White House).

All the corporate training that I've had pounded into my head says that this is sexual harassment and is already illegal (unless it's done in the White House).

Dubya's been harassing someone? Call the Globe! Anyway, harrasement based on orientation is not illegal.

The fact that some of you already think it's a law exposes that this PC fud has already been ingrained in your head by the media.

Every damn reality show be it MTV road rules, real world, whatever.

Every amazing race season,

every season of survivor,

every big brother, etc...

throwing in a homosexual into a group of 6 to 12 people, forcing others to react and look like supposed fools on Tv.

We know that these are not real representations of the mix of society, yet we gobble it up until it is etched in our pchyce.

Dubya's been harassing someone? Call the Globe! Anyway, harrasement based on orientation is not illegal.

RedScare or one of our other lawyers may be able to correct me on this, but harassment based on SEXUAL orientation is sexual in nature, creating a hostile work environment, one of the two main areas of sexual harassment claims (quid pro quo being the other).

At least, that's how the HR departments at the two large corporations I have worked for see the law, but I'm willing to allow that they may be using a liberal interpretation of the law. One of them even used a scenario in the training sessions where a person was making fun of a homosexual co-worker as an example of hostile work environment sexual harassment.

RedScare or one of our other lawyers may be able to correct me on this, but harassment based on SEXUAL orientation is sexual in nature, creating a hostile work environment, one of the two main areas of sexual harassment claims (quid pro quo being the other).

At least, that's how the HR departments at the two large corporations I have worked for see the law, but I'm willing to allow that they may be using a liberal interpretation of the law. One of them even used a scenario in the training sessions where a person was making fun of a homosexual co-worker as an example of hostile work environment sexual harassment.

I think you are confusing company policy with the law. If you get fired for no reason other than being gay there is no recourse.

What if you don't get hired becuase you are gay? Let's say you apply to work at a Baptist Bookstore and they don't hire you for some reason.

Can you take them to court if you are gay? How do you prove it? How do they even know you are gay?

Same if you get fired. Let's say I fire you becuase you are a terrible employee. If you happen to be gay can you take me to court?

Where does a hostile work environment end and gay discrimination begin?

Too many questions. Look for a Bush Veto.

I think you are confusing company policy with the law.

No, they explicitly explained legal issues involved. You don't think I learned the term "quid pro quo" on my own, do you? :lol:

If you get fired for no reason other than being gay there is no recourse.

Maybe so, but that's not to what I was referring. We were talking about "homosexuals being made fun of at the workplace.

Archived