Highland Village Shopping Center At 4055 Westheimer Rd.

Actually wasnt to crowded.... but yes because it was the grand opening. The kitchen staff was just trained this past weekend. There is just an expectable ramp up period.

Wasnt too bad of a wait though. I got to watch NYPD Blue on three giant screens. :)

Great I'm going Thursday night! Speaking of SXSW how is that going now days? Back in 91 I played with a Texas band by the name of Stride and the atmosphere was great. Oddly enough none of us were from Texas, they had just moved here from GIT in LA.

It's getting pretty big, the interactive and movie parts are a big deal as well. BTW, do they still have the Houston Press Music awards? I thought that was a pretty cool music showcase for Houston.

has anyone checked out empire bar? thinking about going there this saturday.

also, are they still doing the last call trains? it's something ridiculous like 2:15am right? assuming we miss that, how hard is it to get a cab, are they around or would i have to call one?

have some friends coming in town and we're crashing in midtown. it would be nice to show them there are other ways to get around in houston other then driving...

has anyone checked out empire bar? thinking about going there this saturday.

also, are they still doing the last call trains? it's something ridiculous like 2:15am right? assuming we miss that, how hard is it to get a cab, are they around or would i have to call one?

have some friends coming in town and we're crashing in midtown. it would be nice to show them there are other ways to get around in houston other then driving...

I wish I could answer that but I pretty much stuck to the pedestrian only part of the party. To bad you couldn't take a cab to a place where you could catch the rail, it was pretty cool seeing people in it at night coming down all that pedestrian traffic.

It's getting pretty big, the interactive and movie parts are a big deal as well.  BTW, do they still have the Houston Press Music awards? I thought that was a pretty cool music showcase for Houston.

To my knowledge they are. One thing though, I (& others) have noticed a far more commercial paper out the Press over the last couple of years. It's full of advertisements etc. When I first started reading it, it was a better paper.

I wish I could answer that but I pretty much stuck to the pedestrian only part of the party. To bad you couldn't take a cab to a place where you could catch the rail, it was pretty cool seeing people in it at night coming down all that pedestrian traffic.

It's actually relatively easy to catch a cab, at closing time they're running around all over the place, though. So finding an empty one, or one that isn't already heading to another call is difficult.

But to hail one in Houston is the same as in NYC; Raise your arm, and if they don't stop, that generally means they already have a fair or on the way to pick someone else up. You could always CALL a cab and tell them to meet you at the rail station.

Ricco

It's actually relatively easy to catch a cab, at closing time they're running around all over the place, though.  So finding an empty one, or one that isn't already heading to another call is difficult.

But to hail one in Houston is the same as in NYC;  Raise your arm, and if they don't stop, that generally means they already have a fair or on the way to pick someone else up.  You could always CALL a cab and tell them to meet you at the rail station.

Ricco

That's a good idea, I may try that next weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Who would ever guess that maybe just maybe in the middle of the week we could all use a break............ I guess I cheat when it comes to beginning my weekend only on a Friday. I start off on Thursdays and I guess it would be good to inform people of the nightlife bizz that takes place on that day of the week.

As of now I'm hearing about Moksa at the Licor Lounge. Thats' in Midtown and not necessarily in Downtown but hey!............ Downtown is a bit over done with teenie boppers...... I guess their time has come and inevitably the same concept of Westheimer back in the 80's and its total fall during the 90's was bound for the same fate. In time I'm sure Downtown will resurrect itself but in the meantime I find refuge in Midtown and sure...........Uptown as well. Some have even sought out and resorted to old ways of attending venues that are not inside the loop but located out in far regions of Houston close to their homes.

Whatever floats ur boat i guess.

Edited to eliminate the blatant advertising content. Please don't use the forum for promotional purposes.

Edited by Subdude

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Last night (Saturday) me and a couple of buddies took off to Ginger Man pub in Rice Village. When we pulled into the arcade area the streets were packed everywhere, there was litteraly no where to park for blocks. we eventually got lucky and found a place. When we finally made it to the bar it was like sardines in a can, and it wasn't the only place like that. Every single bar (and grill) were packed to the hilt and we found it impossible to get in anywhere, so we left.

We then headed to Rudyards on Waugh and encountered the same thing so we left. We then went to the Continental Club on Main to find it worse than all of them and that was with a $15.00 cover. Since we were already on Main we decided to head Downtown and hit a beer pub (Mcelroys) which is also on Main.

When we got close to the area I was blown away by the thousands of people (and cars) swamping Main and Prarie. It was so packed that we had to park 9 blocks from where we were going. When we eventually made it on foot to Main it looked almost like Mardi Gras. The streets were packed to the gills with people. Every bar had lines going into them and in fact some bars had lines with over 100 people well past 1:00am.

When we got to Mcelroys we got very lucky to find a table outside being cleared so we grabbed it. As we sat back drinking Black & Tans we people watched for two hours as hundreds passed by our table on the street. I know the ladies may not appreciate this but the girls outnumbered the boys about 4 to 1, it was great. We also observed how young the crowd was, probably an average of between 22 to 26.

When we finally decided to head home around 1:30am the bars were still full and the people were still there.

I jus thought it was a great night to experience the Houston night life, this city is really up and coming and I'm proud to live here.

A couple of my friends are visiting me from out of town and so I had to drive them around this Saturday night. We went to Main street and I was shocked to see the amount of activity going on over there past midnight. The streets were jammed with cars and the Main street was overflowing with people. I had of course heard of bars/clubs on Main street but had no idea that it would be so packed and bustling. The Main street has indeed been transformed into Houston's version of Austin's 6th street. Of course, while everyone has heard about Austin's 6th street, Houston's Main street is still a surprise.

Houston's Main street is still a surprise.

?????You probably haven't been here all that long. Main Street has been popular since 98'/99' slowed down during the light rail construction and just now is starting to come back around to pre-rail status. Some residential in that area will really help

Houston's Main street is still a surprise.

?????You probably haven't been here all that long. Main Street has been popular since 98'/99' slowed down during the light rail construction and just now is starting to come back around to pre-rail status. Some residential in that area will really help

I was talking about people from out of town. Almost everyone I know has heard of Austin 6th street, for example, but believe that Houston's night life is dead. I for myself had never been to Main street at night until this weekend but I knew that it is quite active on the weekend although I found it to be even more active than I expected. And you are right, I am still relatively new in Houston.

I was talking about people from out of town. Almost everyone I know has heard of Austin 6th street, for example, but believe that Houston's night life is dead. I for myself had never been to Main street at night until this weekend but I knew that it is quite active on the weekend although I found it to be even more active than I expected. And you are right, I am still relatively new in Houston.

OK, welcome to Houston!

Most people outside of Houston have zero perceptions of anything in Houston.

kzseattle, from where were your friends visiting?

Yeah, Downtown Houston's weekend nightlife is one of those little known secrets about our fair city. I like to think of it as a upcoming cross between 6th Street in Austin and Downtown Ft. Worth.

Yeah, Downtown Houston's weekend nightlife is one of those little known secrets about our fair city. I like to think of it as a upcoming cross between 6th Street in Austin and Downtown Ft. Worth.

It has a long way to go.

My friends were visiting me from Dallas. At the start of the tour, it was clear they werent expecting much from Houston and thought of it as an inferior town. I believe their opinion took a 180 degree turn by the end of the tour.

I have driven through 6th street in Austin as well and found its night life to be pretty similar to what I found on the Main street and so I wonder why 6th street has so much more fame.

My friends were visiting me from Dallas. At the start of the tour, it was clear they werent expecting much from Houston and thought of it as an inferior town. I believe their opinion took a 180 degree turn by the end of the tour.

I have driven through 6th street in Austin as well and found its night life to be pretty similar to what I found on the Main street and so I wonder why 6th street has so much more fame.

Been Around longer, College Town, Better Scene in general

It has been around a long time but I can tell you that it has gone a little down hill in the last 10 years. It's not nearly as pure as it was in the 80's and early 90's.

As far as it being a better scene, that would all depend on what your looking for in a scene. 6th street is more geared toward live venues with a texas sound and that's whether you like rock, country or swing. There are a couple of newer generation rock clubs as well.

Houston I think has a higher concentration of people now than Austin. Houston's Main st is more geared to dance clubs and pubs. I also love the street being on the rail line and the fact that it's in the middle of all the buildings. Very cool.

Guest Professional Hornblower

yeah, Austin is better if you prefer a minor league college town with drunk college kids puking all over themselves instead of a more sophisticated Houston scene. But Austin does have 50 cent watered-down Long Island Ice Teas at the Aquarium, so that is cool.

I guess it's your preference.

• 1 month later...

So, the restraunt takes all those floors? Damn.

Great to see Highland Village getting more restraunts. That was the one thing lacking there. There is also a mexican/latino restraunt supposedly openting by the Pottery Barn Kids.