Sign in to follow this  
citykid09

Highland Village Shopping Center Developments

11 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

How would you change it up?

I'd widen the sidewalks and kill some of the parking lots. Turn those in to gathering spots to sit and grab a coffee. Make one of the lots a small park for kids. Unless the lots plus the parking garage make up the "necessary' amount of parking by the city. Which would be insane. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'd widen the sidewalks and kill some of the parking lots. Turn those in to gathering spots to sit and grab a coffee. Make one of the lots a small park for kids. Unless the lots plus the parking garage make up the "necessary' amount of parking by the city. Which would be insane. 

I believe they have said they have plans or are making plans to make the center more pedestrian-friendly and cohesive. . .   But to be fair, this is one place where you can't really claim they have large surplus of parking.  It tends to be be pretty tight there.

• Like 4

There’s a parking garage behind PF Chang’s, a lot across the RR tracks, and a covered lot behind Jos A Bank which almost always have adequate parking. The two lots can all easily be expanded via garage and the frontage parking can be eliminated for more pedestrian programming. 

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

That would be a really good look!

• Like 4

Construction trailer has arrived at the former Smith & Wollensky site

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

That would be a really good look!

That's the designer in me lol but it would be an easy fix tbh. Most of the necessary walkability in the development is there. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

I would take a page from the renovations done at Uptown Park.  I'm really impressed with how they took what was once a very suburban shopping center with way too much parking and created these walkable, terraced barriers that nicely segregate the area.  It's still not as ideal as what could be done with a brand new construction, but it's a good case study in how to use what you've got.  I also like the repainting to whites and grays.  If they did something like that in Highland Village, I think it would go a long way to making the area more cohesive and walkable.

• Like 5