Highland Village Shopping Center At 4055 Westheimer Rd.

• 3 weeks later...
What is going up across the freeway on Hwy 6 and 59?  Accross from the Lake Pointe development.  If I am not mistaken it is next to Panera.

It only says it's a retail center so far. I have no idea who the tenants will be. Although I believe one will be The Home Theater Store. About a year and a half ago there was a press release saying they were building at that site. However, something makes me think that they'll be a stand-alone and not in that strip you see at the corner.

• 1 month later...
The brewpub part must not be a doing well at the clear lake location.

I thought they had pretty good beer...food is pretty good - great pizzas. The restaurant is always packed when I have been there. It does much better business than the previous establishment there - Bradley's

What is it with Texas and Brewpubs??? We just can't seem to get any more and can't seem to keep 'em.

We are too zombiefied with our Budweiser and Miller Lite. Bring back the Frog Ads dammit. I need to be motivated to buy The King Of Beers.

You know what Miller Lite and having sex on the beach, have in common ? They are both F*#king near water ! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I met this girl a few days ago, and we will be going out on our first date (not a weekend date). I was thinking of a casual place to eat, and maybe drinks later if things go well. I would take her downtown, but I don't think she wants to meet downtown because of the parking and she is unfamiliar with the area.

So I was thinking:

- Rice Village

- Midtown

- Montrose

- Galleria...probably not

Any suggestion on places to go would be appreciated.

In my opinion, you wouldn't be able to find any place better for a first date than the Spindletop in the downtown Hyatt Regency Houston hotel. First dates are tough to get through, and if you run short on small talk, the view is always there to enjoy together. Food is moderately priced and reasonable, nothing really stand-out, but you can save that kind of place for your first anniversary! :) Good luck to you!

Take her to The Grotto at 610 and Westheimer. It is not pretentious, and it is not a dive. Good food, good atmosphere, and a girl cannot read anything into it. If you take her to a over priced restaurant, trying to impress her, then she knows you are way to excited about the date. If you take her to a hole in the wall, or McDonald's, she's gonna be wondering who this cheap bastard is ? It is just a hop, skip, and jump from downtown, so you could go to a couple of bars afterwards, or find something close around there, but The Grotto, will allow you two time to talk and get to know each other, order a bottle of wine, or if she wants a cocktail, they can make anything there. Good Luck ! ^_^

Edited by TJones

• 1 month later...

Where is the Largest church in America

as in whats the name, and location

Where is the largest mall in Texas

name, and location.

Are they willing on planning to build a larger theme park here soon!

Is the population slowing down of moving faster.

Will they or are they or do they have plans on building a taller skyscraper in downtown surpassed the JP M Chase tower.

Will The inner city population in size surpass Toronto, Havana and Chicago

Is it true that no homes built all over Texas have no basements

Edited by Dominax

• 5 months later...
Do you guys know if there is a store around Houston that sells official world cup soccer jerseys? Thanks for the help.

I got the same question. Also, what news station is the one to watch in terms of coverage? All they're talking about on ESPN are the NBA Finals, yet the tournament starts tommorow, and ESPN's supposed to be carrying some of the games :unsure:

I got the same question. Also, what news station is the one to watch in terms of coverage? All they're talking about on ESPN are the NBA Finals, yet the tournament starts tommorow, and ESPN's supposed to be carrying some of the games :unsure:

UNIVISION

• 5 months later...

After getting kicked out of their old spot where HEB Central Market is, Surprises just could not keep up with the Walmarts and Targets for gift ideas in their trendy custom built store. :mellow:

I saw a "Going out of Business" sign with a starting discount of 20%, which I am sure will excalate as we get closer to Christmas.

If you plan and returning anything, now is the time, but you may already have a difficult time since the store already announced it's closing. :ph34r:

storepic.jpg

The main website page is down, but you can cheat with the cache and then search the site from there.

After getting kicked out of their old spot where HEB Central Market is, Surprises just could not keep up with the Walmarts and Targets for gift ideas in their trendy custom built store. :mellow:

I saw a "Going out of Business" sign with a starting discount of 20%, which I am sure will excalate as we get closer to Christmas.

If you plan and returning anything, now is the time, but you may already have a difficult time since the store already announced it's closing. :ph34r:

storepic.jpg

The main website page is down, but you can cheat with the cache and then search the site from there.

Does anybody know why they are closing? Buy out of the land? Not enough business?

Does anybody know why they are closing? Buy out of the land? Not enough business?

Definately not a buyout. Surprises "bought out" that land where the old Jack in the Crack was to build that site. I would venture, not enough business. I remember they cutdown what was at least a hundred year old oak, so I cursed them, it was a beautiful tree that didn't need to be removed to build on that spot. Maybe it is Karma coming after them.

Actually, they were not located where CM is now. They were in the building across the street from Smith&Woolinski (or however that is spelled). Their old store front is now Waterworks.

I worked in Highland Village at the time of the move and the talk was they wanted to expand but HV was/is also pushing out any independents for all national chains with more name recognition (which is why Fitigues moved to Uptown Park as well).

IMO, the main issue with their current location is the same issue that plagues many independent retailers and restaurants in Houston- parking and street access. That HUGE store has about 5 parking spaces and there is nothing else near it that would bring foot traffic in.

never went into that store until a o-worker was registered there.

was sort of turned off by the building.

that store was overpriced and the items there were really odd...

not artistically odd but honking ugly odd.

not surprised to see it go. :closedeyes:

not surprised to see it go. :closedeyes:

Very Punny! :P

Knick Knacks like that are always subjected to public opinion based on price.

Just like abstract art. I think they are worthless, but some people will pay $1000's for spattered paint on a canvas my niece could do better on.