Highland Village Shopping Center At 4055 Westheimer Rd.

Yea I agree, national chains like PF Changs and Rasushi better be careful because Houston has so man good restaurants that are very very affordable or give giant portions that overpriced/small protioned Chains might not do so well here. Everytime I travel, I'm amazed at the prices and small portions that I get when we eat out. We're spoiled rotten in Houston.

Here is where I agree with 'Coog most vehemently. There are some seriously, wickedly good Asian cuisine in some of the more anonymous and independently operated joints than the larger chains like P.F., Panda's and so forth. I'm not saying that the chains all serve crap but compared to the authenticity that you get in old and new Chinatown and Midtown, they're pretty subpar.

The best lunchtime chinese buffet, BTW, is in the old chinatown joints, especially on St. Emanuel. Just pick one.

"Here is where I agree with 'Coog most vehemently."

Sounds so violent. :D

Seriously, I've never eaten one thing at PF Changs that came close to the food I've eaten at any of the better local joints.

Changs is average american style asian food dressed up in a semi fancy chain restaurant. From day one, when everyone told me I HAD to go there, I failed to see the attraction. The layout may be pleasant, but it is still corporate...kind of like going to Vegas and staying at New York New York. It may be nice, but it aint the real NY.

Changs aint real chinese food.

My opinion.

"Here is where I agree with 'Coog most vehemently."

Sounds so violent.  :D

Seriously, I've never eaten one thing at PF Changs that came close to the food I've eaten at any of the better local joints.

Changs is average american style asian food dressed up in a semi fancy chain restaurant.  From day one, when everyone told me I HAD to go there, I failed to see the attraction.  The layout may be pleasant, but it is still corporate...kind of like going to Vegas and staying at New York New York.  It may be nice, but it aint the real NY.

Changs aint real chinese food.

My opinion.

I agree, but they have a nice singles nght on thursday's at highland village

Midtown Coog made a solid point with the locals being a better quality and value (see Quantity).

I've steered many people to local places around town as opposed to some of the "fancier" places like PF's to some local eateries and they've rarely been disappointed.

There is also something to be said to support your local small business as well.

I know I always try to.

and midcoogs statement on why we're fat city USA......so many options!

• 1 month later...

http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/restaurants_pa..._sugarland.html

I just found out that it's a BJ's Brewhouse they're building at the corner of 59 and HWY 6 across from the Town Square. In the future Creekside at Town Center ( http://www.page-partners.com/flyers/creekside/creekside.htm ) I've been to one in CA and liked it. Too bad this one isn't a brewery though. There is one with a brewery in Clear Lake that I haven't had a chance to check out yet.

Also, apparently there is a place coming called "Incredible Pizza Company." ( http://www.incrediblepizza.com/ ) It looks like a nicer Chuck E. Cheese kind of place. When I was searching for "Chicago Pizza Sugar Land" on Google I stumbled onto a lot of job postings from July 2005 saying that Incredible Pizza Co is coming soon to Sugar Land. I was looking for that because all I knew about BJ's was that I saw the alcoholic beverage permit said "Chicago Pizza" in it. (that's all I could read when I drive by). I wonder where this other pizza place is going to be.

http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/restaurants_pa..._sugarland.html

I just found out that it's a BJ's Brewhouse they're building at the corner of 59 and HWY 6 across from the Town Square.  In the future Creekside at Town Center ( http://www.page-partners.com/flyers/creekside/creekside.htm )  I've been to one in CA and liked it.  Too bad this one isn't a brewery though.  There is one with a brewery in Clear Lake that I haven't had a chance to check out yet.

The brewpub part must not be a doing well at the clear lake location.

I thought they had pretty good beer...food is pretty good - great pizzas. The restaurant is always packed when I have been there. It does much better business than the previous establishment there - Bradley's

What is it with Texas and Brewpubs??? We just can't seem to get any more and can't seem to keep 'em.

What is it with Texas and Brewpubs???  We just can't seem to get any more and can't seem to keep 'em.

I attribute that to $3.69 six-packs of Lone Star Tallboys...

Seriously, though...I've wondered why we not only don't have brewpubs, but why don't we have more microbreweries here in Houston?

I know in the mid-90's brewpubs popped up all over the place, but they all seem to have disappeared.

Any recommendations for brewpubs inside the Loop, anyone?

story about Incredible Pizza in Conroe area

BJ's has a location that's been open for about a year or so already in Willowbrook area. Very nice atmosphere, good pizzas and our kids love the cookie pizza! :)

Reading the story you linked made em think of something. I bet there is a good chance that Incredible Pizza will take the old Target building in Sugar Land. Big Lots moved in next door, but I noticed they didn't actually take the Target building, just another large space next to it. I noticed they're doing construction in the taget building, but the signs don't really give any details. If they took a K-mart building in Conroe, a Target building in Sugar Land is probably a good place. Plus that's probably the cheapest large space available in Sugar Land. I was assuming that they had to build a location, but never thought about the possibility of retro-fitting a large retail store. Anyway, I could be wrong, but I'd bt on the Target building by Big Lots, Dollar Tree, and Palais Royal. (The slums of Sugar Land...j/k)

The article about Conroe also mentioned that the Sugar Land location should open December 1st. That especially makes me think it's in the old Target building because there has been work going on in there for a few months.

The brewpub part must not be a doing well at the clear lake location.

I thought they had pretty good beer...food is pretty good - great pizzas.  The restaurant is always packed when I have been there.  It does much better business than the previous establishment there - Bradley's

What is it with Texas and Brewpubs???  We just can't seem to get any more and can't seem to keep 'em.

A big part of Texas' brewpub problem can be attributed to the law that allowed them. Texas, in its infinite wisdom, decreed that a brewpub must have a restaurant component, and further, cannot sell their product off premise. This makes them more expensive to open and operate, as well as limiting the sale of the product, once it is brewed. With these constraints on the establishment and sale, very few can operate profitably.

I verified that Incredible Pizza Company is taking the former Target building between Big Lots and Dollar Tree. As I said before, I noticed construction for a few months but didn't see a permit with a name on it or anything. When I drove by today I noticed something I had seen before but had no way of identifying. Real big in tape on windows of both sides of the entry they wrote "IPC" in white tape. Obviously that must stand for Incredible Pizza Company. I had just assumed before that it was a construction company or something.

Brewpub in the loop would be Two Rows in the Village Arcade on Kirby at University in the Village.

like i said...i can't recommend it. never liked the beer there. if i am in the village i am going to the gingerman. i want the bank draft brewery to come back.

two rows is ok, good food and good prices. decent beer. they have a stout right now that's excellent.

but the beer doesn't touch BJs, or most other west coast brewpubs.

i frequent Bjs in clear lake often, as mentioned they're doing really well, but probably more so for the restaurant. but we often go there just for the beer.

to get my micro fix in TX, i rely on my friends that brew.

two rows is ok, good food and good prices. decent beer. they have a stout right now that's excellent.

but the beer doesn't touch BJs, or most other west coast brewpubs.

i frequent Bjs in clear lake often, as mentioned they're doing really well, but probably more so for the restaurant. but we often go there just for the beer.

to get my micro fix in TX, i rely on my friends that brew.

I've been to a BJ's in CA, but have never been to one that doesn't have a brewery. Question - do the non brewery one's at least carry the beer that they make at the other locations? If not, the Sugar Land one is going to suck. I'm not gonna go to a brewpub to drink Butt light or something like that.

the CL location does have a brewery, and it looks like they'll be supplying any non-brew BJs around.

"BJ's is unlike other brewery-restaurant operators because only about one in four of the chain's locations has a brewery on site. The breweries produce enough beer to ship to holding tanks at the nonbrewery units, which helps keep capital costs down, ensures that breweries operate at capacity and improves consistency."

http://www.lumiverse.com/p/articles/mi_m31...39/ai_n13649009

the CL location does have a brewery, and it looks like they'll be supplying any non-brew BJs around.

"BJ's is unlike other brewery-restaurant operators because only about one in four of the chain's locations has a brewery on site. The breweries produce enough beer to ship to holding tanks at the nonbrewery units, which helps keep capital costs down, ensures that breweries operate at capacity and improves consistency."

http://www.lumiverse.com/p/articles/mi_m31...39/ai_n13649009

I knew Clear Lake had a brewery. That's cool that the non brewery locations do carry their beers in holding tanks. Now I don't mind so much that there is no brewey on site. I really like a few of the beers BJ's brews so I would have been disappointed if they didn't carry them there. I'm glad this place is coming to compete with Baker Street Pub because I don't really like that place. We need more good bars in SL.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently heard that Lupe Tortilla is going in at this site.  Can anyone confirm that this is the site of BJs or Lupe?  Maybe Lupe is on one of the opposite corners.

New here... pretty cool site. Anyway...

Ya, BJ's is going in off hwy 6 and Lupe's is going in around the corner on the feeder road. There is a new strip center going in on the corner of 59 and hwy 6, but I am not sure what is going in there.