HAIF - Houston's original social media

Highland Village Shopping Center Developments

Highland Village is one of the best shopping areas in Houston. I think that Houston needs more of theses type of shopping areas. I just wish that the shopping was closer to the road (More Urban), but it's great how it is.

Does anyone know of any new shopping areas going up that area comparable to Highland Village?

index16.gifindex17.gif

• Like 1
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Market Watch January 2004

Open Air Centers vs. Enclosed Malls

Date: November 19, 2003

Speaker: Steve Weingarten, Executive VP, Weingarten Realty

Organization: O'Connor & Associates

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My remarks will be primarily about open air centers in Houston versus enclosed malls and, more specifically, I will focus more on grocery anchored community and neighborhood centers, since that

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

So, the restraunt takes all those floors? Damn.

Great to see Highland Village getting more restraunts. That was the one thing lacking there. There is also a mexican/latino restraunt supposedly openting by the Pottery Barn Kids.

Yea I agree, national chains like PF Changs and Rasushi better be careful because Houston has so man good restaurants that are very very affordable or give giant portions that overpriced/small protioned Chains might not do so well here. Everytime I travel, I'm amazed at the prices and small portions that I get when we eat out. We're spoiled rotten in Houston.

Here is where I agree with 'Coog most vehemently. There are some seriously, wickedly good Asian cuisine in some of the more anonymous and independently operated joints than the larger chains like P.F., Panda's and so forth. I'm not saying that the chains all serve crap but compared to the authenticity that you get in old and new Chinatown and Midtown, they're pretty subpar.

The best lunchtime chinese buffet, BTW, is in the old chinatown joints, especially on St. Emanuel. Just pick one.

"Here is where I agree with 'Coog most vehemently."

Sounds so violent. :D

Seriously, I've never eaten one thing at PF Changs that came close to the food I've eaten at any of the better local joints.

Changs is average american style asian food dressed up in a semi fancy chain restaurant. From day one, when everyone told me I HAD to go there, I failed to see the attraction. The layout may be pleasant, but it is still corporate...kind of like going to Vegas and staying at New York New York. It may be nice, but it aint the real NY.

Changs aint real chinese food.

My opinion.

"Here is where I agree with 'Coog most vehemently."

Sounds so violent.  :D

Seriously, I've never eaten one thing at PF Changs that came close to the food I've eaten at any of the better local joints.

Changs is average american style asian food dressed up in a semi fancy chain restaurant.  From day one, when everyone told me I HAD to go there, I failed to see the attraction.  The layout may be pleasant, but it is still corporate...kind of like going to Vegas and staying at New York New York.  It may be nice, but it aint the real NY.

Changs aint real chinese food.

My opinion.

I agree, but they have a nice singles nght on thursday's at highland village

Midtown Coog made a solid point with the locals being a better quality and value (see Quantity).

I've steered many people to local places around town as opposed to some of the "fancier" places like PF's to some local eateries and they've rarely been disappointed.

There is also something to be said to support your local small business as well.

I know I always try to.

and midcoogs statement on why we're fat city USA......so many options!

• 1 year later...

Ordinarily something like this would be of minor interest to me, but when I saw that the Gap had closed its Highland Village store, I was overcome with curiosity as to what will move into that piece of prime retail space. There's a Variance Request sign up, which leads me to believe the space may be converted into a restaurant. Anyone have any scoop?

• Like 1
Ordinarily something like this would be of minor interest to me, but when I saw that the Gap had closed its Highland Village store, I was overcome with curiosity as to what will move into that piece of prime retail space. There's a Variance Request sign up, which leads me to believe the space may be converted into a restaurant. Anyone have any scoop?

They might as well add a Pei-Wei to complement its sister PF Changs.

I can tell you what's wrong with the gap, they've totally alienated anyone who's older than 20 years old. Most of their cloths are too funky for us older guys that made gap what it is today. I haven't bought a pair of jeans from gap in almost 5 years, and I used to buy all my jeans from them. Even their "regular" cloths are funky.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Tidbit below from the HBJ article (subscribers only).

'Mattress Mack' takes aim at River Oaks with Kreiss dealHouston Business Journal - by Allison Wollam Houston Business Journal

Gallery Furniture is moving into the high-end furniture market.

The high-volume retailer, owned by Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale, has acquired the ritzy, 8,000-square-foot Kreiss Showroom in the Highland Village shopping center on Westheimer. It also will open a 10,000-square-foot Kreiss gallery inside its main store at 6006 North Freeway on Nov. 15.

The company also is debuting a new line of luxury king-size mattresses that will sell for nearly $60,000.

McIngvale says Gallery Furniture plans to bring the same "veracity and velocity" to high-end furniture that it brings to midpriced and promotional furniture.

awollam@bizjournals.com

Wait, did that really happen? I've never heard about that before.

yeah he had a lion out front (of his flea market back then) as a little stunt to gain customers, and well it somehow got the girl and tore off part of her skull. there was a lawsuit over that one. probably 20 yrs ago or so.

Lemme look it up and see if I can get a juicy story...

EDIT: I found "The chained lion at the Texas Flea Market had previously mauled a set of 2-year-old twins and was severely underfed when it penetrated an 8-year-old girl's skull with its fangs in 1987." at http://www.tpj.org/page_view.jsp?pageid=79&pubid=22 - Now I'm looking for the story on the Chronicle...

EDIT: here's more from the Chron: http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1989_593993

" Gary Durkovitz, 35, styled himself as "the beastmaster" because he owned a scraggly, malnourished lion that he displayed publicly. Back in the fall of 1987, that lion had seized and severely injured an 8-year-old girl at a Houston flea market. The lion was shot during the attack, then later destroyed by a fatal injection.

Because of the publicity surrounding his case, Durkovitz's trial on a charge of injury to a child was moved to San Antonio. A jury there in April convicted him and gave him 10 years probation and a $5,000 fine. A month later back in Houston, he pleaded guilty in an unrelated child molestation case and got five years in prison.

Houston furniture king Jim "Mac" McIngvale was a principal owner of the now defunct flea market where the attack occurred. He pleaded no contest to injuring a child. As punishment, District Judge Ted Poe ordered the businessman, best known for his furniture commercials on television, to make a series of commercials on the subject of child abuse. "

EDIT: 8-year old Roxanne Hernandez was the victim - It seems like she survived the incident: http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1988_545397

Edited by VicMan
Houston furniture king Jim "Mac" McIngvale was a principal owner of the now defunct flea market where the attack occurred. He pleaded no contest to injuring a child. As punishment, District Judge Ted Poe ordered the businessman, best known for his furniture commercials on television, to make a series of commercials on the subject of child abuse. "

This doesn't surprise me about the sentence. Creative sentences such as making commercials on child abuse was Ted Poe's trademark.

BTW, time will tell if Mattress Mac's high-end concept is working wonders. Any good business?

Edited by stan the man

It's working well, it seems. I was doing a search for Kreiss furniture and found this board along with various entries at what appears to be the Mattress Mack "blog" with customers taking their picture with sales staff - at mattressmack.com

I found that to be odd. The picture part, I mean. I guess he is bringing the "veracity" of the main store to this one. Though, I suspect, without the neon signage. B)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

This is awesome. I've been saying that we need a non mall Apple store for a long time and I'm glad it's going to be architecturally interesting. I kind of wish it was closer to the universities, but beggars can't be choosers. Does anybody know what parking is like over there? I don't go to Highland Village stores very often.

• Like 1

amazing! it will be a hard place to keep cool in the summer months perhaps but i love the design...

speaking of which i am loving that new restoration hardware gothic style mansion it is connected to! haha...i saw someone's comment in the feedback in your link and it made me laugh... ;)

• Like 1

Just came back from NYC and went the the 5th ave Apple store. It was amazing and a tourist attraction in its own right. What I found completely crazy is that its open 24 hours a day!

just came back myself and it is indeed super cool... really looking forward to seeing the one in Highland Village.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great to see this and Houston mentioned on MacRumors

...just weeks ago the opening was bumped up by a day to March 16, sparking speculation that the company is seeking to have the store open for an iPad 3 launch on that day.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/01/rumored-houston-retail-store-grand-opening-sparks-speculation-of-ipad-3-launch-on-march-16/

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to Highland Village Shopping Center Developments