I think Frank Gehry should build a non denominational/ all purpose cathedral in downtown or uptown to house say 1500-5000 congregants.

What does everyone think?

(yeah, I know........I am a FG enthusiast)

m. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm not mistaken, that'd be FG's first in H-town?

But I don't think he does religion. I read an article in yesterday's Houston Chronicle and they are talking about have FG do the expansion of MFAH, which I think is a great idea. The man loves museums and Houston needs his name

If I'm not mistaken, that'd be FG's first in H-town?

But I don't think he does religion. I read an article in yesterday's Houston Chronicle and they are talking about have FG do the expansion of MFAH, which I think is a great idea. The man loves museums and Houston needs his name

That is cool.......i am a huge enthusiast of his.

I now live in LA, and his Disney Concert Hall is gorgeous, eventhough it may look a little odd in pix. in person is really nice.

YES, Houston does need another big name like in the 80's when Burgee/Johnson and those guys were a buzzword all over town.

m.

thanks for the tip. I will be on watch.

That is cool.......i am a huge enthusiast of his.

I now live in LA, and his Disney Concert Hall is gorgeous, eventhough it may look a little odd in pix.  in person is really nice.

YES, Houston does need another big name like in the 80's when Burgee/Johnson and those guys were a buzzword all over town.

m.

thanks for the tip. I will be on watch.

Here's the article and the thread. Someone posted it up already.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=1857

I too am captivated by FG's works. I used to walk pass his "Ginger and Fred" in Prague everyday when I was there on vocation.

Why a church? Why not something else that could benefit all types of people instead of just one (type)? Even by being "non-denominational" you're still only practicing one religon (typically Christianity).

True, true.......

I guess I was just thinking along the Crystal Cathedral lines.

ALSO, you cannot deny, Houston has A LOT of religious centers.

I was not even going for a typically Christian sanctuary- just a house of worship.

I am a Christian, so "church" was in my vocab.

BUT, it could just be a Universal House of Worship.

Temple, Church, Mosque all rolled into one.

I wonder if Houston would go for this???

m. B)

Here's the article and the thread. Someone posted it up already.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=1857

I too am captivated by FG's works. I used to walk pass his "Ginger and Fred" in Prague everyday when I was there on vocation.

Cool.

Prague? I want to go there on my next European trip!

I've done UK, France and parts of Spain.

m. B)

(I condensed your post..)

I agree. I'm sure some neutral ground could be found. I would rather a concert hall though.

Where would you place it? Museum district? Downtown? Somewhere in between?

I think something of that calibur would attract tons of people downtown if it were built there.

I love hearing about DT's "urban renewal", but get discouraged because out of my own niavete, I want BILLLIONS poured into projects, and the truth is, Houston may have billions, but must be spread out over many current endeavors- mainly, transportation and infrastructure. This is the part of any city's life that I hate.... the interior must be fixed before the exterior can progress. A neccessity, but makes for a few lean years development wise.

m. :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAY IT AINT SOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank Gehry and the MFAH!!!! OR for that matter any building at all in Houston.

Its clearly been demonstrated that crumpled pieces of aluminum dont work any better than aluminum boxes (Urban Lofts).....

I dont know I was hoping for Jean Nouvelle, SOM (if they do museums), Renzo, Lake/Flato, Herzog De Mueron, and countless others - mostly European architects to do the MFAH addition.

While the idea of a non-denom religious center is appealing and even decent - its doubtful if one is neccesary - ROTHKO people! UH Religion Center and I think Rice may have one? Why would 1500 people of various religions ever need a religious center? Perhaps another nice small one like Rothko, maybe as large as 100 seats.

Live Oak Friends Meeting House isnt non-denom is it? But Im sure anyone can visit - and should visit.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAY IT AINT SOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank Gehry and the MFAH!!!! OR for that matter any building at all in Houston.

Its clearly been demonstrated that crumpled pieces of aluminum dont work any better than aluminum boxes (Urban Lofts).....

I dont know I was hoping for Jean Nouvelle, SOM (if they do museums), Renzo, Lake/Flato, Herzog De Mueron, and countless others - mostly European architects to do the MFAH addition.

While the idea of a non-denom religious center is appealing and even decent - its doubtful if one is neccesary - ROTHKO people!  UH Religion Center and I think Rice may have one?  Why would 1500 people of various religions ever need a religious center?  Perhaps another nice small one like Rothko, maybe as large as 100 seats.

Live Oak Friends Meeting House isnt non-denom is it?  But Im sure anyone can visit - and should visit.

:P

What you say makes sense. And has some truth.

Understand, sometimes I want architecture just for the asthetic value. Not practical nor PC- just eye candy. :rolleyes:

I can't help it. I am a FG fan. Always will be. I think he pushes us to think outside our conceptions of what architecture SHOULD be. Granted, I don't want every building to stretch my depth perception- but you have to give the man credit- he can make a building which looks as if it is top heavy or about to lean over or even take off in flight. I like living in an age where architects go beyond the Frank Lloyd Wright school of perfect angles and minimalism.

Just my opinion.

Any thoughts?

m.

If I could offer a rather flat-footed reply...

We're treading in delicate territory. When architecture is supposed to express spiritual beliefs, misunderstandings should be expected.

As an example: the church in which I was raised decided that its current building (classic early 19th century New England) was inadequate. This was in the 60s. They presented various designs to the congregation, each of which was greeted with louder groans than the one before.

The one which they eventually built was greeted with incredulity, scorn, and disappointment ("When are they going to finish it?" was a common comment). People expected a house of worship - hell, a CHURCH - to look like a church. Like many houses of worship built in the 60s, the emphasis was on the roofline.

Some local farmers observed that the resulting building looked like a piece of cowshit which had been run over by dual tires. While the observation is true, the structure is striking. Regardless of its architectural merits, the congregation has come to accept (and love) this building. It will have a place in local architectural history. And weddings, funerals and services will be respectfully conducted within its walls.

Churches are among of the few places where freedom of architectural expression is given few restraints. I hope that our local religious leaders will have the courage to commit to designs which inspire - for whichever reason.

• 3 weeks later...
If I could offer a rather flat-footed reply...

We're treading in delicate territory. When architecture is supposed to express spiritual beliefs, misunderstandings should be expected.

As an example: the church in which I was raised decided that its current building (classic early 19th century New England) was inadequate. This was in the 60s. They presented various designs to the congregation, each of which was greeted with louder groans than the one before.

The one which they eventually built was greeted with incredulity, scorn, and disappointment ("When are they going to finish it?" was a common comment). People expected a house of worship - hell, a CHURCH - to look like a church. Like many houses of worship built in the 60s, the emphasis was on the roofline.

Some local farmers observed that the resulting building looked like a piece of cowshit which had been run over by dual tires. While the observation is true, the structure is striking. Regardless of its architectural merits, the congregation has come to accept (and love) this building. It will have a place in local architectural history. And weddings, funerals and services will be respectfully conducted within its walls.

Churches are among of the few places where freedom of architectural expression is given few restraints. I hope that our local religious leaders will have the courage to commit to designs which inspire - for whichever reason.

Not flat-footed at all. Said it better than I said myself. You got my meaning. Give Houston a spritual and inspirational sanctuary in which to......commune. (for lack of a better word) NY can't be the only place in the US where different cultures and belief systems can get together without tearing each other down. In fact, i don't even want something with any religious symbolism (star of david, cross, crecent & star, ect.)

Something with lofty ceilings (focused on higher things than us), beautifully colored glass (other worldliness), and soft tones and colours. Sort of like a universal house of prayer and meditation. Let each visitor decide her own 'being' to pray and meditate to. Just make the structure worth pondering in a reverant sort of way.

m.

True, true.......

I guess I was just thinking along the Crystal Cathedral lines.

ALSO, you cannot deny, Houston has A LOT of religious centers.

I was not even going for a typically Christian sanctuary- just a house of worship.

I am a Christian, so "church" was in my vocab.

BUT, it could just be a Universal House of Worship.

Temple, Church, Mosque all rolled into one.

I wonder if Houston would go for this???

m.  B)

If the owners of the building are paying for it, why should we care if its a church or a museum? If FG built a mosque and a satanic worship center, I wouldn't care. I'm sure they'd be nice buildings nontheless.

People get real hostile about Christianity.

The Crystal Cathedral - isnt it a lot like Lakewood Church?

Kind of hard to design a 1500 seat religious assembly building that doesnt have any particular sect/religion in mind. In fact arent assembly buildings that seat 1500 people usually called Community Centers, minus the religion part...

Maybe thats what you want.... a Frank Gehry community center

The Crystal Cathedral - isnt it a lot like Lakewood Church?

Kind of hard to design a 1500 seat religious assembly building that doesnt have any particular sect/religion in mind.  In fact arent assembly buildings that seat 1500 people usually called Community Centers, minus the religion part...

Maybe thats what you want.... a Frank Gehry community center

I am not sure a community center is what i have in mind. i want something reverent. A blending of cultures and beliefs. To me, a community center leads to trade shows and stupid seminars. I would like something, opened to the public which promotes thought and pensiveness.

A center where one could go in, enjoy the impossibly high ceilings, marvel at the various playful stained-glass walls- maybe light some candles for remembrance, have soft world music playing somewhere in the background and incense going. A sort of meditation place.

Having reread what i wrote, i suppose it does sound a bit New Agey. But it would be nice.

It is just that FG has done almost everything else, why not a religious center?? ;)

m

I am not sure a community center is what i have in mind.  i want something reverent.  A blending of cultures and beliefs.  To me, a community center leads to trade shows and stupid seminars.  I would like something, opened to the public which promotes thought and pensiveness.

A center where one could go in, enjoy the impossibly high ceilings, marvel at the various playful stained-glass walls- maybe light some candles for remembrance, have soft world music playing somewhere in the background and incense going.  A sort of meditation place.

Having reread what i wrote, i suppose it does sound a bit New Agey.  But it would be nice.

It is just that FG has done almost everything else, why not a religious center?? ;)

m

Something like Rothko Chapel, but perhaps on a larger scale, and not quite so dark?

• 4 months later...

Zaha Hadid, Renzo Piano, Rem Koolhaas, Yoshio Taniguchi,-anyone but Gehry.

Gehry's work has been great but his current style has become somewhat over-done and he needs to move on to something new and original to himself.

I'm sure hoping for a really bold addition to the MFAH. Someone like Zaha Hadid [she's a real pain to work with but the results are almost as good as sex, IMO] or even better for a museum, Yoshio Taniguchi [the new MOMA and his first free-standing museum in the U.S. here in Houston, the Asia House.]

There is no reason we can't have the best of the best here in Houston.

B)

Gensler has some talented designers and Gehry might be a renowned architect, but for our premier projects like the museum expansion or the central library, I'd hope for better. This is my list of the best of the best:

Renzo Piano

David Adjaye

Shigeru Ban

Alberto Kalach

Paredes Pedrosa

Polshek Partnership

Schwartz Silver

Allied Works

One art museum by Piano is enough. Although the Menil is probably one of the best buildings in Houston to be designed by a major architect (and that ain't saying much) I think some diversity would be beneficial. One of the problems I have with European architects such as Koolhaas is that they really get out of their element here. Sure, they're great if you want to turn an old Politburo buidling into a modern art museum, but the flavor here is a little different. I want someone that would embrace Houston's chaotic style and lack of zoning and not sneer while they design some stagnant box and walk away with a fat paycheck.

I'd still like a Gehry, heck if freaking Spain can get a Gehry, why not us. The Euro's are OK, but they don't seem to think in the same scale as US architects, I'll agree with you there.

I do think Frank Gehry lates style fits the city very well. I would describe his work as chaotic organization. Yes, I do think his work is an oxymoron, but given the nature of this city

Archived