The Galleria Mall History

I was a rink rat at the Galleria for a period. I bought my first hockey skates (Bauer) at J. Rich Sporting Goods where the food court is now. I remember the small food and drink stand at the end of the rink called the Pacesetter Jr. There was the larger Pacesetter restaurant at the other end of the rink. I used to buy pistachios and other nuts at Morrow's Nut House. There was a health food store down by the Pacesetter restaurant. I can't remember the name of it, but that was the first place I ever bought Dr. Bronner's Magic soap (Teach the moral ABC that unites all mankind, free!)

There was the Sam Houston bookstore, which was a decent bookstore, next to the Hickory Farms and next to that was Disc Records. I knew and hung out with a lot of the people that worked at the record store. The manager of the record was named Skip (can't remember his last name). Skip and most of his crew left that gig to become the first crew of Cactus records when it opened up on Shepherd. Knowing people in the record store business meant that you got into a lot of shows and after-the-concert parties. You also got some of the pickings of the Comp records that the record companies would give to the stores to promote the record. One member of that original Cactus crew, Louis Karp, moved to Austin to open Waterloo Records.

Someone mentioned that they didn't think the Galleria had mall rats, but during the time I was hanging out there, all the regulars of the Galleria knew each other and hung out together. I went on a backpacking trip to Colorado in 1975 with a group of about 10 that was exclusively comprised of Galleria mall rats.

You know, I'd forgotten about those white globe-like lights.

Me too. Remember that textured yellow tile that was in the non-carpeted areas? I remember all the stores had similar storefronts with a black glass signage band. All of the letters were white, but the fonts varied.

Those are some great memories, isuredid. My Galleria 80s were spent at a pretty young age. I'm about the same age as Pumapayam is on the left side of that photo, so I never got into the mall rat culture that must have been this mall's nostalgic glory days. But I still remember a lot of these things, even if observed from gradeschool eyes.

Remember that textured yellow tile that was in the non-carpeted areas? I remember all the stores had similar storefronts with a black glass signage band. All of the letters were white, but the fonts varied.

Yep. I remember that stuff. I remember how the store front window panes & railings in the mall were that brown hollow aluminum material, and so were the ashtray/trashcan things bolted to the railings about every 50 feet.

Edited by Bengiann

There was the Sam Houston bookstore, which was a decent bookstore, next to the Hickory Farms and next to that was Disc Records.

I haven't thought about Sam Houston bookstore for a long time. That wasn't just decent; it was amazing. I found Aleister Crowley's "Magick in Theory and Practice" there, which surprised me beyond words.

This dates me, but I saw the first Star Wars in first release at one of the Galleria theatres.

I'd almost be embarrassed to tell you how many times I saw that movie in that theater. Remember those circular bench things with the planters in the center? My friend & I buried an R2-D2 toy in there while waiting in line and then when it was time to move along, we couldn't find him.

I know I have pictures taken in the mall, but I think finding them will prove difficult. I'll start the search!

The photo Puma is in is just a few feet away from where Hanover Shoes used to be on a corner circa 1978-79. Got several neat boots and disco shoes there. :ph34r:

Several films I clearly recall seeing at the theater (timeline) were Jaws, Animal House, Poltergeist.

I always like the echos of fun and frolic the skate rink. Every girl wanted to be the next Dorothy Hamill it seemed.

When the Galleria first opened, there was a chic home accessory store owned by the same company that operated Cargo Houston in Westbury Square. I don't remember its name, but it carried all sorts of high quality items from other countries. It closed after a year or so, due to being in the wrong location at the wrong time. People who shopped at the Galleria back then weren't likely to be looking for Japanese screens or Indonesian carvings.

There was a good bit of excitement among local fashionistas when the Galleria expanded and Lord and Taylor became an anchor tenant. It was the first New York based department store to open in Houston. For the first few years of its existence, it even had a furniture department.

Man you guys have great memories. I remember all those stores you mentioned but could not have come up with them on my own. Of course my favorite spot was Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor.

Was Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor the store in the background of the photo Pumapayam posted? The place with that coin-op merry go-round?

I always remember celebrity watching. Either my parents would drop us off, or we would ride our bikes, depending on the weather, to the Galleria with our stack of baseball cards. We would wait all around the entrance to the Westin Galleria, and would get autographs from every player we could identify. I don't know if the teams all still stay there or not, but all the teams playing the Astro's would stay there and we would all sit around with pockets of sharpies, waiting for autographs. Oh, and sneaking up too the health club to smoke on the patio and look in the windows on the track to the ice rink. And snagging some food from the meeting rooms in the hotel when you didn't bring enough money to last you past the arcade and candy store.

There was a good bit of excitement among local fashionistas when the Galleria expanded and Lord and Taylor became an anchor tenant. It was the first New York based department store to open in Houston. For the first few years of its existence, it even had a furniture department.

There is something about that specific dept store that just makes it stand out from all of the others. The ceilings seem to reach the skies and the whole interior makes you feel as if you are in NYC. The only one that rivals it is the one way on the other end (name?) very expensive of course. A simple mens tie is about $300.00 thats all :blush: .

Just walking thru L & T makes you feel like a million $$$, just an dillusion of course. They need to make more dept stores with very high ceilings, decor etc.

Can't forget elevator Muzak of course! I love it!

• Like 1

I started a search program into the recesses of my brain...the health food store in Galleria I was called Dottie Marlin's Health Food. I also remembered that Nan's Toys used to be in the Galleria, but the rent was too high to make a profit and she moved to SW Frwy. There was a mexican restaurant over by Farrell's called El Felix or El Fenix that I figured was only for tourist because it was not good mexican food. There was also another restaurant called The Coquery. There really weren't that many stores that would be of interest to a teen in Galleria I. I did buy shoes at the Wild Pair and Brass Boot. I had a summer job right after high school working on the dock at Joske's. One of my jobs was to carry bags of merchandise back to the hotels in the Galleria for the, mostly, Mexico City women that would come to Houston to shop at the Galleria. It still trips me out to go into that building that is now Dillard's.

Edited by isuredid

There is something about that specific dept store that just makes it stand out from all of the others. The ceilings seem to reach the skies and the whole interior makes you feel as if you are in NYC. The only one that rivals it is the one way on the other end (name?) very expensive of course. A simple mens tie is about $300.00 thats all :blush: .

Just walking thru L & T makes you feel like a million $$$, just an dillusion of course. They need to make more dept stores with very high ceilings, decor etc.

Can't forget elevator Muzak of course! I love it!

That other store would be Neiman Marcus, a Texas (Dallas) chain. Oooh La La.

I also remembered that Nan's Toys used to be in the Galleria, but the rent was too high to make a profit and she moved to SW Frwy. T

I had no idea Nan's originated in the Galleria! I spent quite a bit of time at Nan's growing up, but see - I grew up in the 80s and 90s - so I spent time at Nan's Comics & Games on 59 @ Shepherd. Thanks for the info!

Edited by Bengiann

I had no idea Nan's originated in the Galleria! I spent quite a bit of time at Nan's growing up, but see - I grew up in the 80s and 90s - so I spent time at Nan's Comics & Games on 59 @ Shepherd. Thanks for the info!

I bought my first D&D books at Nan's in the Galleria. It was the first the first store I'd ever seen that sold role playing games.

There was also another restaurant called The Coquery.

Is this the one that you could take a shortcut through from Galleria I to get to Galleria II? It dumped you right over by the theaters ... I could never remember the name of that place.

Is this the one that you could take a shortcut through from Galleria I to get to Galleria II? It dumped you right over by the theaters ... I could never remember the name of that place.

Tha was "The Magic Pan". I miss it.

I did buy shoes at the Wild Pair and Brass Boot. I had a summer job right after high school working on the dock at Joske's. One of my jobs was to carry bags of merchandise back to the hotels in the Galleria for the, mostly, Mexico City women that would come to Houston to shop at the Galleria. It still trips me out to go into that building that is now Dillard's.

The Wild Pair shoe store was in most malls even Gulfgate had one. The timing was just right for this chain. It was the early 80's and the style of shoe wear they had was exactly what the young new wave/punk crowd was craving. They knew exactly how to display the latest and most bizarre or toned down versions of new wave shoe wear (inspired by films like Bladerunner, Valley Girl, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Mad Max, Waterworld etc) I never had the heart to let go of at least 2 pair of Duran Duran/Beatle style boots I have in boxes. :blush:

Here are some examples of Wild Pair style of shoes they sold. The displays in that store were so futuristic, too cool. Sure miss dat store folks.

Oh yes, and if you really wanted to look like Billy Idol or Adam Ant, this is where you would go. lol

lpb02.jpgthigh%20leo%20small.jpg20061011-vans-2007-6.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

The Wild Pair shoe store was in most malls even Gulfgate had one. The timing was just right for this chain. It was the early 80's and the style of shoe wear they had was exactly what the young new wave/punk crowd was craving. They knew exactly how to display the latest and most bizarre or toned down versions of new wave shoe wear (inspired by films like Bladerunner, Valley Girl, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Mad Max, Waterworld etc) I never had the heart to let go of at least 2 pair of Duran Duran/Beatle style boots I have in boxes. :blush:

Here are some examples of Wild Pair style of shoes they sold. The displays in that store were so futuristic, too cool. Sure miss dat store folks.

Oh yes, and if you really wanted to look like Billy Idol or Adam Ant, this is where you would go. lol

Looks like their shoes were what you would call "trendy". In the early seventies I bought a pair of zip up on the side platform men's boots there. Kind of glam rockish they were.

I believe , gazing through the cobwebs, that the Coquery was where the Chili's is now.

Looks like their shoes were what you would call "trendy".

and that has alway's been the allure of The Galleria as we know it today. To have the latest and most up to date in everything.

People have travelled from other countries and make sure that The Galleria is on the list to visit when in Houston. We "locals" just take it for granted but others see it as a true destination of sorts. On any given day you will find people speaking all languages when shopping around the place. Very International.

I'm ready for my Armani suit now. :D

Ok, I'm ready to kick in here after some thought. My sister worked at U.S. Testing in the early '70's. That was the place that conducted the surveys. One time when I was spending a day with her there, Sandy Duncan came by and chatted with us. I actually liked El Felix or Fenix Mexican restaurant although I remember service being slow. Close by was a Corrigan's Jewelry store. On the second level, there was Margo's La Mode. I loved that store. There was an optical store named Lugene's. I think there was a Merry Go Round. I remember a leather store too. Later on in the early - mid '80's Banana Republic came in but I can't remember if it was I or II. I loved Marshall Fields. There was a store in II that was owned by Olivia Newton John I think it was Blue Kangaroo? In the eighty's I did some temp work for an oil company in the Galleria II building, but I cannot remember the name of it. I do remember they had the first Wang Word Processor I had ever used. It may still be there, but the hotel had a Zuchinnis restaurant that you could enter from the third level. (I'm really dating myself here.) I have alot of very fond memories from the Galleria.

Later on in the early - mid '80's Banana Republic came in but I can't remember if it was I or II. (I'm really dating myself here.) I have alot of very fond memories from the Galleria.

I am pretty certain Banana Republic was in the Main section is it called I? above the ice skate rink. I think it was on second level. Had Gilligan's Island-like decor, fake palms, bamboo, etc. (No Ginger Grant though) ;):D

Even today when you go into Neiman Marcus its like walking in to Fort Knox, seriously.

Hardcore security guards every where you turn and more cameras than Candid-Camera! Yes that makes ya feel real comfortable when buying that Rolex or Cartier, Choppard jewelry. Snicker

Banana Repub was at (say) the southwest corner of the ice rink, on the second or third level of the Galleria I. I think it was more like the late 80's. I worked in the Galleria Towers during the mid 80's and think it came later.