Google Map

Lowbrow

• 1 month later...

That was one of my first thoughts too. I wish you could tell when the images were collected. You can see where they have merged images by looking at the shadows laying in different directions.

I just love the ease of toggling between map and satellite.

I sent a link of my old house to my ex-wife with the tag-line "I'm watching you!!" .... we'll be back in court in no time.

The aerials are amazing, but they are not taken with satelites though. These were flown by airplane. The real amazing thing is the speed you can move around with while looking at the aerials. To get the currenty 2004 release of aerials would cost some serious money. They are available at HGAC now, but you have to bring an external hardrive that meets the size requirement to get them. The files are huge.

Its a combination of satellite and aerial imagery. They state on the Keyhole Software website that all the images should be from 2 months to 3 years old and that they are always attempting to update. Perhaps with google behind them now they can do that more aggressively.

HGAC is the Houston-Galveston Area Council. They are an organization that works with the 8 county metro area as a source of data. They perform traffic and transit studies. Develope master transportation plans. Serve as a resource for GIS (Geographic Information Systems) data. They are a reall useful entity. They are also helpful to smaller municipalities and surrounding counties in developing studies on their behalf for project proposal. HGAC is responsible for assisting in studies for park-n-rides in Fort Bend. The are instrumental is providing this preliminary data to assist developing areas around and in Houston for economic development. Developers and Municipalities or both clients to HGAC.

You can go their website here.

The are a regional planning entity to put it in simple terms.

• 2 years later...

Cool feature. The pseudo 3D building models in the terrain view downtown are nice, but for the most part the terrain in Houston isn't too exciting. San Francisco and NYC look good as well.

I find it interesting that they have models of the buildings on the East end of downtown, even small houses and abandoned warehouses mapped out pretty well, but other more interesting parts of town have no building models in the terrain view (midtown, museum district, medical center, uptown, etc).

One thing I found particularly interesting about the terrain feature was when I went and looked at the map of Morgantown, WV.

You could clearly see where the football stadium was sunk into the ground and how the bleachers make a bowl shape in the ground.

I wonder what maps or technology they are using that would go to that detail and show that the playing field is actually below ground level?

gallery_1714_36_28232.jpg

• 1 year later...

So about a month ago, I started putting together a new custom google 'My map'. I probably had close to 75 items - areas or pins. All were showing up on the map at the same time. It was glorious.

Now I revisit it, to add to it, and google has broken down my items to multiple pages. Now it will only show the first 50 items.. and I have to click the 2nd page to see the rest. This ruins and defeats the purpose of the map, esp. since it will be in the ballpark of 200 items when all is said and done.

Anyone know why google did this? Is it a global switch by google or is this something i accidentally did in some settings somewhere? Does anyone else currently have a custom map showing 50+ items ?

Thanks.

-----------

An additional complaint. Any map I have ever opened that was created by someone else, I have never been able to successfully delete from My Maps list. The have all been deleted multiple times and they always show back up in the list. Frustrating.

So about a month ago, I started putting together a new custom google 'My map'. I probably had close to 75 items - areas or pins. All were showing up on the map at the same time. It was glorious.

Now I revisit it, to add to it, and google has broken down my items to multiple pages. Now it will only show the first 50 items.. and I have to click the 2nd page to see the rest. This ruins and defeats the purpose of the map, esp. since it will be in the ballpark of 200 items when all is said and done.

Anyone know why google did this? Is it a global switch by google or is this something i accidentally did in some settings somewhere? Does anyone else currently have a custom map showing 50+ items ?

Thanks.

-----------

An additional complaint. Any map I have ever opened that was created by someone else, I have never been able to successfully delete from My Maps list. The have all been deleted multiple times and they always show back up in the list. Frustrating.

They probably changed a default setting... but you can most likely change it back.

I know a year or so ago, when I set up a google map with directions on a personal website, there was a setting that said how many points to show at different zoom settings.... for instance, if you had 1000 points, but were zoomed far out, it might only show 10 of them, and as you zoom in, it shows more and more details.

They may have changed the default setting for your zoom level to only show 50 items, but you can probably change that in your settings.

They probably changed a default setting... but you can most likely change it back.

I know a year or so ago, when I set up a google map with directions on a personal website, there was a setting that said how many points to show at different zoom settings.... for instance, if you had 1000 points, but were zoomed far out, it might only show 10 of them, and as you zoom in, it shows more and more details.

They may have changed the default setting for your zoom level to only show 50 items, but you can probably change that in your settings.

I cant find any such settings.

Furthermore... I figured my areas were more important than my pins.. so I deleted 30 or so pins giving me less than 50 total items. Did they all go to one page? No. And while I can move an item that is on the 2nd page to the first.. it just kicks the last item on the first page to the 2nd. Somehow, now it's only allowing 25 per page.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

New within the last hour.... Google Maps now has an Earth Button... which incorporates Google Earth with 3d buildings directly into your browser..

Sweetness !!!

Edit:

...Though, My God is it buggy and crashy... They still gotta work out some kinks... then it will be the Sweetness !!!

Archived