Anything You Want

gwilson

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He came out of Rice yesterday. He was over there for somethin' with Laura Dern who I'll always associate with "Jurassic Park" because JP rules!

Again, sorry. No more!

I think he meant the closet, and to answer that, I don't think. . . officially. He will likely tell you to ask his boyfriend instead. :P

Note the newer "random thoughts" thread was merged with the existing topic. We really don't need more than one. :)

It wasn't really meant for random thoughts. I thought it provided a different niche, but everything's cool though.

Breakfast Tacos please, for me...the key is to get some really good hot sauce, red &/or green, with a kick. Goes good with morning coffee!

PS this is a reply to the subject of breakfast & etc, I know I was just reading somewhere on this "anything goes" place...I've been messing up all day on HAIF... :o:rolleyes:

You should all be used to me bringing up old topics by now, since I joined so late.

I like dogs, too.

And a good wine.

And a nice swimming pool on a hot day.

I think I just figured it out, were two topics merged while I was replying?

The season finale of "Lost" is next Thursday and I looked at the spoilers. No self control. This show is weird.

I haven't even watched the last week episode yet. It's confusing sometimes. I like Desmond.

Oh yeh, and I like Saeed, and I like Sawyer.

I just bought one of those Scott's manual push mowers. It is really cool. I thought it was gimmicky at first until I saw a neighbor with one. It really cuts well (I have a REALLY small yard) and is actually kind of fun knowing I am not contributing (as much) to greenhouse gases while taking care of my lawn.

It does make more noise than I thought.

Question: How long do the blades remain sharp and who/where can I sharpen them when it is time?

Mac, I have an old push mower also. Mine's and oldie not the newer one you're talking about, anyhow there are possibly a few old saw sharpeners still in business that might do it for you, but you'd have to drive out to the piney wood s to find them possibly. I sharpen mine myself, depending one the quality of the steel they build the new ones with, will determine how often you will need to sharpen it. All it takes is a flat file. You sharpen these mowers at approximately 2 degrees from perpendicular. It sharpens like a shear. it's not hard to do and only takes about 15 minutes once you get use to it. There is somewhere that has to still do it. You might ask the grounds keeper at your local course, they still use gang mowers to cut the fairways and greens, they sharpen the same way.

It really cuts well (I have a REALLY small yard) and is actually kind of fun knowing I am not contributing (as much) to greenhouse gases while taking care of my lawn.

Just don't eat beans before you go mowing and you should be fine.

Of course, if you have kids, you could do what a friend did to HIS kids. Punished them by making them cut his yard with scissors. :) After a couple of times, they were amazingly well about obeying when it was time to do chores and bedtime.

Mac, I have an old push mower also. Mine's and oldie not the newer one you're talking about, anyhow there are possibly a few old saw sharpeners still in business that might do it for you, but you'd have to drive out to the piney wood s to find them possibly. I sharpen mine myself, depending one the quality of the steel they build the new ones with, will determine how often you will need to sharpen it. All it takes is a flat file. You sharpen these mowers at approximately 2 degrees from perpendicular. It sharpens like a shear. it's not hard to do and only takes about 15 minutes once you get use to it. There is somewhere that has to still do it. You might ask the grounds keeper at your local course, they still use gang mowers to cut the fairways and greens, they sharpen the same way.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice!

http://english.alarabonline.org/display.as...:07:46%20%C3%95

Houston Mayor Bill White, Rice University, the University of Houston and AECOM Technology Corp. announced a collaborative programme to train Libyan engineers to build and maintain homes, roads and water systems in their homeland.

The initiative is part of a $50 billion-plus capital-improvement programme managed by AECOM and the Libyan Housing and Infrastructure Board (HIB) to modernize urban housing and water systems for major Libyan cities. The project is being led from AECOM's Houston and Tripoli offices.

"The City of Houston is excited and honored to host the Libyan engineers over the next year as part of this programme," White said at a news conference at Rice University, where he welcomed three senior HIB executives who will be living in Houston for a year.

"Our city will play an integral role in the sustainability of Libyan housing and infrastructure as the HIB professionals study our public agencies and learn from our top research universities."

The initiative will include a civil and environmental engineering training programme for HIB employees who are currently managing various parts of Libya's national infrastructure and housing...

I just bought one of those Scott's manual push mowers. It is really cool. I thought it was gimmicky at first until I saw a neighbor with one. It really cuts well (I have a REALLY small yard) and is actually kind of fun knowing I am not contributing (as much) to greenhouse gases while taking care of my lawn.

It does make more noise than I thought.

Question: How long do the blades remain sharp and who/where can I sharpen them when it is time?

I have a Scott's reel push mower as well. I wish I could tell you how long the blades stay sharp, but the one I bought last year got stolen, so I'm back to a new one. But by the end of the season last year it was still cutting great. Just be sure to wash it off after every cut, and after it has dried spray the blade area with WD-40 or similar. It kept mine from getting rusty/corroded and also kept the friction low so wear was less on the cutting surface. I do love how quiet and easy it is.

I have a Scott's reel push mower as well. I wish I could tell you how long the blades stay sharp, but the one I bought last year got stolen, so I'm back to a new one. But by the end of the season last year it was still cutting great. Just be sure to wash it off after every cut, and after it has dried spray the blade area with WD-40 or similar. It kept mine from getting rusty/corroded and also kept the friction low so wear was less on the cutting surface. I do love how quiet and easy it is.

It is quieter, but I was astonished at how much noise it actually makes. But it is a neat whirring sound as opposed to the chain saw sound of a gas mower.

The BF bought an old mid-50s Zenith radio today for a song, AM-FM, wood cabinet in good shape, tube perfect, just plug it in and listen....and we have been low-fi listening to KTSU since about 4. It kicks ass! In the past it seemed to me lame and smooth jazz--no more Kenny G! Now they're playing straight blues. Earlier, the closest they got to commercial radio was Earth Wind & Fire. Mike told me that when UH radio used to be jazz ( which is what I remember UH radio in the early 80s) then they switched to classical format, they gave their collection to TSU.

Their news feed is AP, and is infrequent and unexpected.

More people should listen to KTSU. Albert King is on right now. Sweet.

I used to listen to KTSU when they had Reggae night...10-2 if I remember correctly, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I think. I don't know, it is all a bit hazy.

Do they still have it? Not sure it matters. A lot of current reggae sx anyway. Too much rap in it.

Do yall ever pretend that you're not from Houston and that you're a visitor, and try to see Houston through a visitors eyes? I do it every so often....

Me, too.

Usually, it's when I am entertaining people who are are visiting from out of town. I'm still trying to get it through my thick head that we cannot compete one-on-one against any other city on their terms (unless we're going out Hwy 225 and showing off refineries.)

In other words, if they're from Chicago or NYC, don't try to impress them with our tall buildings. If they're from the Rockies, don't take them to Buffalo Bayou or Miller Outdoor Theater, to show them Houston's only two hills. If they're from a city more than one hundred years old, don't try to impress them with our historic districts. If they're from East St. Louis....well, I'm flummoxed.

Me, too.

Usually, it's when I am entertaining people who are are visiting from out of town. I'm still trying to get it through my thick head that we cannot compete one-on-one against any other city on their terms (unless we're going out Hwy 225 and showing off refineries.)

In other words, if they're from Chicago or NYC, don't try to impress them with our tall buildings. If they're from the Rockies, don't take them to Buffalo Bayou or Miller Outdoor Theater, to show them Houston's only two hills. If they're from a city more than one hundred years old, don't try to impress them with our historic districts. If they're from East St. Louis....well, I'm flummexed.

Take 'em to see the tunnels. No one else has anything quite like it.

Me, too.

In other words, if they're from Chicago or NYC, don't try to impress them with our tall buildings. If they're from the Rockies, don't take them to Buffalo Bayou or Miller Outdoor Theater, to show them Houston's only two hills. If they're from a city more than one hundred years old, don't try to impress them with our historic districts. If they're from East St. Louis....well, I'm flummoxed.

There's a gigantic Smithsonian-restored Saturn V moon rocket at NASA. It was destined for the moon, until the Apollo program was cancelled. Can't see that in Chicago, NYC, CO, etc.

Archived