Anything You Want

gwilson

That's always assuring. So many times when I order a fountain drink, I wonder what else might be in there. I drive myself crazy sometimes about that sort of thing.

Then you should be glad about McDonald's new contramption. It grabs a cup and fills it with ice and drink for you the moment the order is confirmed. All they have to do is put a top on it and give you the straw.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's always assuring. So many times when I order a fountain drink, I wonder what else might be in there. I drive myself crazy sometimes about that sort of thing.

Ew yes - bottle or can for me, please, unless I can get it myself.

Then you should be glad about McDonald's new contramption. It grabs a cup and fills it with ice and drink for you the moment the order is confirmed. All they have to do is put a top on it and give you the straw.

It's what happens between the fill up and the top getting put on...

Man, I am SO not feeling work.

I'm dressed and ready to head out the door, but my feet won't go.

a 3rd mental health day in a row?

heck. why not. Little debbies and milk, here I come. :)

Must be nice! <_<:P

Must be nice! <_<:P

I know, why do you think I'm somewhat concerned about my going back to the corporate world?

an update on the HCC thing if anyone cares: Turns out the class wasn't scheduled for THIS semester, so I'll take it in the fall, so I'm going to take lessons and learn Sign Language and might pick up farsi in the meanwhile.

Little debbies rock!

I knew I shouldn't have gotten this box.

I quit working at Taco Bell the summer of 76 and 2 weeks later they robbed it. Tied up my best friend and the manager demanding $ and all they got was what was in the registers (not much) and grabbed meat out of the freezer. Then fled.

My friend managed to get loose of the tape and undo her ties and called cops.

I mean all they (crooks) got was some $ and a couple of pounds of taco beef. :wacko:

This was way before the "Run for the Border" campaign.

I just ate half the sticker that was on my apple. Oops

That's not the dumbest thing I've done while eating though.

Once I left the paper from the deli on the bottom of a slice of meat and ate half the sandwich. lol, even I had to laugh at that.

edit the cheese slice if you saw that. i 'misremembered'

I've been flirting with vegetarian-based diet for the past 6 months or so ... .after seeing the treatment of cows in this latest scandal, I think that has done it for me (and beef ... chicken and fish are still a small part of my diet and even that is suspect for me).

Anyhow, enjoy your beef hunting. (FYI .. Wendy's claims their beef is never frozen so it is supposed to be better-tasting anyhow.)

This makes NO sense to me. While I understand it isn't fun to watch nor is it pretty, animals are very different from Humans on a cognitive level. Regardless, how exactly can you slaughter a cow "nicely". Chickens are slaughtered far worse. They are dipped in boiling water while still alive in most plants to defeather them.

How the treatment of an animal heading to slaughter could ever POSSIBLY lead to a recall of the product by anyone capable of rational thought is beyond me. These are emotional responses and they make no sense.

This makes NO sense to me. While I understand it isn't fun to watch nor is it pretty, animals are very different from Humans on a cognitive level. Regardless, how exactly can you slaughter a cow "nicely". Chickens are slaughtered far worse. They are dipped in boiling water while still alive in most plants to defeather them.

How the treatment of an animal heading to slaughter could ever POSSIBLY lead to a recall of the product by anyone capable of rational thought is beyond me. These are emotional responses and they make no sense.

While the images were disturbing, the bigger issue is that injured or sick livestock were NOT to enter the food chain. A broken leg is one thing, but if the cow is sick for another reason then it could pose a risk to the consumer. I.e. Mad Cow.

While the images were disturbing, the bigger issue is that injured or sick livestock were NOT to enter the food chain. A broken leg is one thing, but if the cow is sick for another reason then it could pose a risk to the consumer. I.e. Mad Cow.

Most contaminants are of no consequence if the meat is cooked. It doesn't take much to kill off everything from ebola to e.coli. If you eat rare, you might have problems, but medium-rare and up are fine.

If a vendor knowingly allows sick cattle (sick to the point of having toxins that cannot be killed by standard cooking practices), that is unacceptable. That isn't what we're talking about though (as you acknowledged).

My upstairs neighbor's shower somehow decided to make an appearance in my bathroom and living room this morning. Waking up to dripping noises = not fun.

I often heard that most apt complex's do not allow waterbeds in an upstairs apt? I always hated those things anyway but they do not allow in the event it starts to leak.

Makes sense I guess. Imagine sitting on it with a fine point pen in your back pocket? Ja ja

My upstairs neighbor's shower somehow decided to make an appearance in my bathroom and living room this morning. Waking up to dripping noises = not fun.

that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. Had someone that recently went through that and it was an ordeal, I hope your situation is taken care of quickly.

Shifting on another subject:

I was driving and I noticed a truck parked behind Josephines, with a Cell mast and generator on top of it. Along the side was a small satillite dish which seemed (heh) to be pointed at the ATT building.

Is this a temporary thing for the convention or has usage gone that high?

It also makes me wonder if some of the newer high rises are going to suppliment their income a bit and put up a few discrete cell towers.

I had that happen to me last year, but I only found out about it because I was already in the shower when he got in, so his water leaked through a bad gasket at the drain onto the sheet rock in my ceiling, through the sheet rock, and then on to me. I probably wouldn't have noticed if I my water hadn't been turned as hot as it was.

It took a day to get someone out to repair the gasket and install new sheet rock, then another day for them to texture it.

All restaurants are worth trying generally.

This week, I've been pleasantly surprised by Istanbul Grill and Hungry's in the village.

At Istanbul Grill, I had their signature dish which was a plate layered with lamb meat (sherwarma), bread, vegetables, and different sauces. Their bread and hummus was excellent as well.

At Hungry's, we had their sampler appetizer which had hummus, cous cous and another thing on it, it was good. The best part was my entree though. I chose from the appetizer menu but it was excellent. Two portabello mushroom caps (I tasted balsamic vinegar) served on top of boiled/wilted spinach and then on top of the 'shroom was diced tomatos and feta cheese (I had them add extra for mine). It was AMAZING.

I've also been spending some a lot of time at Los Cucos on Westheimer and Fountainview and have been enjoying the chicken and spinach quesadillas, sans chicken.

I highly recommend these establishments and items. Los Cucos also has the second best Mojito in town.

All restaurants are worth trying generally.

This week, I've been pleasantly surprised by Istanbul Grill and Hungry's in the village.

At Istanbul Grill, I had their signature dish which was a plate layered with lamb meat (sherwarma), bread, vegetables, and different sauces. Their bread and hummus was excellent as well.

At Hungry's, we had their sampler appetizer which had hummus, cous cous and another thing on it, it was good. The best part was my entree though. I chose from the appetizer menu but it was excellent. Two portabello mushroom caps (I tasted balsamic vinegar) served on top of boiled/wilted spinach and then on top of the 'shroom was diced tomatos and feta cheese (I had them add extra for mine). It was AMAZING.

I've also been spending some a lot of time at Los Cucos on Westheimer and Fountainview and have been enjoying the chicken and spinach quesadillas, sans chicken.

I highly recommend these establishments and items. Los Cucos also has the second best Mojito in town.

Thanks for that, G. I appreciate a good restaurant 'review' with some actual food description in it. The thing at Hungry's sound like a dish I make at home when I don't feel like cooking. Tasty. Feta makes everything better, IMO.

Here's my secret for delicious homemade pizza-ish food:

Get a boboli regular crust, or the store brand, doesn't matter. Not really thin though.

pre-heat oven to 425. Spread pizza bread with a thin coating of pesto. (prepared from the store, even ghetto stores carry Buitoni brand) (If I like you....... when my basil is up in the summer I'll make you some homemade, out of this world!)

Layer spinach leaves (raw) all over. Add a layer of thinly sliced red onion. Optional add thinly sliced garlic. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.

If you want meat: Add a thin layer of either medium-count peeled shrimp (raw) or shredded chicken meat (from a roast chicken)

Add crumbled feta generously, season with oregano, a little salt, fresh ground black and red pepper.

Put in oven, uncovered, on center rack for 15-20 minutes. Note the feta will not melt the way mozz does; this is OK. I grate a little fresh parm on top when it comes out of the oven.

edit: on meat versions the raw shrimp will cook completely at that heat in about 15 minutes. Watch closely to not overcook. Store-bought roast chicken will hold up. Leftover homemade roast chicken is usually drier and may need a little more olive oil.

That sounds delish, sans the shrimp. If I do meat on a pizza, I prefer italian sausage. I love feta cheese on pizzas. Goat cheese as well. A buddy of mine runs an italian restaurant and I had him make me a pizza once with no sauce (I'm not really a sauce fan), moz, feta, goat cheeses, italian sausage, onion (red and white) and capers (not my fav, but worked on the pizza).

It was DELISH.

I've never been a huge fan of pesto because I find most places use TOO MUCH of it. I think I'd like to try yours though.

"Hey baby, can I try your pesto?" lol!

That sounds delish, sans the shrimp. If I do meat on a pizza, I prefer italian sausage. I love feta cheese on pizzas. Goat cheese as well. A buddy of mine runs an italian restaurant and I had him make me a pizza once with no sauce (I'm not really a sauce fan), moz, feta, goat cheeses, italian sausage, onion (red and white) and capers (not my fav, but worked on the pizza).

It was DELISH.

I've never been a huge fan of pesto because I find most places use TOO MUCH of it. I think I'd like to try yours though.

"Hey baby, can I try your pesto?" lol!

The secret to pesto is you only use a tiny bit. Very highly concentrated. I mean like a tablespoon full for 2 orders of pasta.

And the sausage....my mom is first generation US sicilian. The family sausage recipe is under lock and key but we try to make some every year at Christmas. Her brothers and sister in Beaumont/Orange do a very limited run..., mainly for their parish. Like Mexicans and tamales. We would start selling, now that my dad is retired, but it is a huge commitment. We get increasing pressure every year to to do the LaRocca sausage at xmas.

Sausages!

Archived