Anything You Want

gwilson

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps. The other points you made are just as subjective. My opinion is that their music was not that good. Nowhere near good. But hey, I guess one has to snort LSD or smoke weed to like certain bands/songs/genres.

Give me some examples of what you consider good.

Give me some examples of what you consider good.

I like all sorts of music. See my post in the HAIF Playlist thread.

Right now I am into Vivaldi and his mandolin concertos. I think "Concerto for Two Mandolins in G" is quite good. You may not. In fact, I don't think you will like it.

I like all sorts of music. See my post in the HAIF Playlist thread.

Right now I am into Vivaldi and his mandolin concertos. I think "Concerto for Two Mandolins in G" is quite good. You may not. In fact, I don't think you will like it.

Why? I admit to not having heard it, but I like Vivaldi. I'm more than just a little familiar with his violin concertos. Obviously, like everybody, I'm most familiar with his Four Seasons, but just because I haven't heard the mandolin concertos doesn't mean I won't like them. Is it that I listen to rock that you think I won't like Vivaldi? My definitions of good music are pretty wide.

Why? I admit to not having heard it, but I like Vivaldi. I'm more than just a little familiar with his violin concertos. Obviously, like everybody, I'm most familiar with his Four Seasons, but just because I haven't heard the mandolin concertos doesn't mean I won't like them. Is it that I listen to rock that you think I won't like Vivaldi? My definitions of good music are pretty wide.

I dont like his Four Seasons. They are blah. It seemed to me you would like like them because you appeared to be a little eager to "defend" or "uphold" what many believe to be the "sacredness" of the Beatles. I think they, like the Vivaldi's Four Seasons, are blah. But hey that's just me.

Maybe you can post some of what you consider good - or what's on your playlist - in the HAIF playlist thread here:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?showtopic=21895

I'm sure Revolution 9 would sound al lot weirder if you were smokin' something, but I do like it.

My musical ear was crippled throughout my early years. The only thing I had around 2002, say, was a couple of low-grade video game MIDIs and Weird Al Music. wacko.gif

I have a fairly wide variety of music, but I'd prefer to stop at Revolution 9 as far as "trippy music" goes.

And yes, Niche, I have seen Yellow Submarine, and a few of my friends have. ("It's a pair of kinky-boot-beasts!" is one of the greatest lines ever).

-------------

Also, I can't wait for Renaissance Faire this year!

Last year, I went, but I came down sick that day (in the middle of the day, by the end of the day I had a fever and was vomiting).

Hopefully it won't happen again. I was kind of surprised how weird the route is. So, from College Station, you go south to Navasota, east on a two-way highway to Plantersville, south on some FM, right again, cross a railroad track(?), and then you're there.

For Houstonites, you just go NW on Tomball Parkway (though there is that "hitch" in Magnolia...why can't it be the same road?)

I dont like his Four Seasons. They are blah. It seemed to me you would like like them because you appeared to be a little eager to "defend" or "uphold" what many believe to be the "sacredness" of the Beatles. I think they, like the Vivaldi's Four Seasons, are blah. But hey that's just me.

Maybe you can post some of what you consider good - or what's on your playlist - in the HAIF playlist thread here:

http://www.houstonar...showtopic=21895

It's seems to me, from your list, you don't really like the music unless no one else has heard of it. Anything with even a little bit of a local fan base is immediately dismissed as blah. There's a word for that.

Anyhow, as I typed on this thread a few posts ago, this was on my playlist last night:

So you know, I'm currently listening to Elliott Smith, and Calexico is on deck. Prior to that, I listened to The Mountain Goats, Kathryn Williams, The Doors, Grand Drive, Jayhawks, Buddy Guy and The Cardigans.

No Beatles in there, but whatevs.

Right now I'm not listening to anything but the rain hitting the roof of my office building. I'm dreading the drive home, because there's certain to be at least one accident inevitably making my trip take much longer.

It's seems to me, from your list, you don't really like the music unless no one else has heard of it. Anything with even a little bit of a local fan base is immediately dismissed as blah. There's a word for that.

Anyhow, as I typed on this thread a few posts ago, this was on my playlist last night:

So you know, I'm currently listening to Elliott Smith, and Calexico is on deck. Prior to that, I listened to The Mountain Goats, Kathryn Williams, The Doors, Grand Drive, Jayhawks, Buddy Guy and The Cardigans.

Just because YOU havent heard of it does not mean no one else has heard of it. How do you know there is no local fan base for the artists I posted? Given the number of hispanics in the Houston area, I'm fairly certain a significant portion of them have heard of Llayras. The same goes for the local Chinese population and Liu Fang and the local south Asian population and Juggy D.

I was looking at your list. The only ones I've ever heard of are The Cardigans and The Doors. It is readily apparent you don't really like the music unless no one else has heard of it. Or there's a guitar in it. Or it's in English. And you are right, there is a word for that. Quite frankly, they all sounds like countless other bands out there. But hey that's just my opinion.

Just because YOU havent heard of it does not mean no one else has heard of it. How do you know there is no local fan base for the artists I posted? Given the number of hispanics in the Houston area, I'm fairly certain a significant portion of them have heard of Llayras. The same goes for the local Chinese population and Liu Fang and the local south Asian population and Juggy D.

Dude, you got this started when you insulted my taste in music, then extrapolated based on my taste in one band that I must be incapable of appreciating some mandolin concertos, then insulted my taste in music again and finally directed me to a list of your favorite radically obscure world music as if it proves your taste in music is more valid than anyone else.

I was looking at your list. The only ones I've ever heard of are The Cardigans and The Doors. It is readily apparent you don't really like the music unless no one else has heard of it. Or there's a guitar in it. Or it's in English. And you are right, there is a word for that. Quite frankly, they all sounds like countless other bands out there. But hey that's just my opinion.

If you haven't heard of Buddy Guy, that's just a sad, sad shame. Life has not been fair to you. BTW, he plays a guitar and sings in English. So do many of the other people and bands I listen to. But, that's not exclusive. Despite what you may believe, I have an interest in pretty much everything, from well-known music to more obscure stuff (including world music). It is safe to say I don't typically favor top 40 corporatized, focus-group-approved pop, but I guess since you read the list of just the bands I listened to last night, you've learned enough to make a final pronouncement, huh?

The big difference between what I did and what you did is I didn't start flinging insults, dismissing other people's opinions on probably the most subjective topic on earth: music quality.

Whoa! Sub-quoting someone? Did this come with the most recent update? ohmy.gif

That was pretty cool.

The big difference between what I did and what you did is I didn't start flinging insults, dismissing other people's opinions on probably the most subjective topic on earth: music quality.

That's just LTAWACS. He can flame/insult on anything, even on things you would consider objective. And there's something else I noticed. You (and RedScare) manage to disagree while stating a clear, concise, opinion (even though it may not be delivered very nicely), while others are just plain mean.

Speaking of RedScare, haven't seen him much around, he used to post a lot, now only occasionally at best. Now I think you win "most frequent poster" award. Either it's a mere coincidence or...

...did you eat him? blink.gif

Speaking of RedScare, haven't seen him much around, he used to post a lot, now only occasionally at best. Now I think you win "most frequent poster" award. Either it's a mere coincidence or...

Red has left the forum. Editor deleted some of Red's content, claiming it to be a personal insult, and then Editor immediately turned around and personally insulted numerous HAIFers. Editor denied that he had been personally insulting--regardless of that many of us were actually personally insulted--and then made a statement to the effect of that he believes himself to be in the right. Editor then closed the thread (which had been inactive for nearly a week, clearly not deserving to be closed) after having made the definitive statement, apparently so as that nobody could challenge him.

I really feel like throwing out a personal insult against Editor right here to be honest, but I don't suppose that it's really necessary. Just use your imagination.

Nah... he was too bitter.

All kidding aside, I did like reading his stuff, and it's unfortunate he chose to leave, but he's a grown man so he can do what he likes.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner folks. There's no such thing as a bad genre, only bad artists.

So, tonight's playlist thus far includes a couple obscure bands, but what the hay, it's still good to get the word out. I don't like hoarding good bands like they're some kind of hipster merit badge. So, I started with Elf Power, moved to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, then went to Sugarplum Fairy, then listened to Tom Petty and finally settled on the Libertines. Next up is Roy Hargrove (a fantastic modern jazzman) and then the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. I'll probably hit the sack after that, but I might stay up in order to listen to Clifton Chenier and Bob Schneider. Depends on how convincing the argument for staying awake is that the box wine makes. The wife never buys Franzia as she reasons the "good" stuff (note: I use the word good here very loosely) is worth the three extra dollars. I can't argue the point with her either as I'll spend as much on a six pack as she spends on five liters of wine.

ANYHOW,

What happened to the heater? It is effin' cold outside right now.

Red has left the forum. Editor deleted some of Red's content, claiming it to be a personal insult, and then Editor immediately turned around and personally insulted numerous HAIFers. Editor denied that he had been personally insulting--regardless of that many of us were actually personally insulted--and then made a statement to the effect of that he believes himself to be in the right. Editor then closed the thread (which had been inactive for nearly a week, clearly not deserving to be closed) after having made the definitive statement, apparently so as that nobody could challenge him.

I really feel like throwing out a personal insult against Editor right here to be honest, but I don't suppose that it's really necessary. Just use your imagination.

Isn't that the same way memebag left, too? (with less drama, of course)

OK...so AtticaFlinch is the new RedScare, and I'm compared to "Plastic"...who the heck was Plastic, anyhow?

OK...so AtticaFlinch is the new RedScare, and I'm compared to "Plastic"...who the heck was Plastic, anyhow?

You just made me spit out my wine. Attica is by no means the new RedScare. No offense to Attica intended. I like him, in that new internet plaything way.

PS. Red says hi. We're trying to plan a HH, but you know how it is, only the same people ever show up at the HH, after we argue about the venue for week. Once I nail him down, will let everyone know.

Yep.

...and I'm compared to "Plastic"...who the heck was Plastic, anyhow?

Plastic was a very odd poster. He seemed to revel in non sequitur. A comparison to Plastic should be regarded as extremely unflattering.

Great... I'm the new black.

You just made me spit out my wine. Attica is by no means the new RedScare. No offense to Attica intended. I like him, in that new internet plaything way.

No offense taken. You'll have to be pretty sharp or pretty blunt to offend me, and I'm pretty sure it has to happen pretty early in the morn'. Anyhow, anywhere even remotely off the immediately offensive poles are perfectly harmless areas. So you know, if I ever say I'm offended on these threads, I'm only proving a point. I'm not really offended.

Anyhow, I think the comparison is more related to timing than anything else. As I discover this board and present my jackassedness, RedScare leaves.

You know, I'm pretty sure he could come back if he so chose. Right now, it seems he's staying away to prove a point. There have obviously been a bunch of people who've requested his comments, but he still refuses to surface. RedScare, I'm calling you out (mostly in the hopes of getting you to comment again), I think your moral indignation is puerile at best. Refute me, if you've got the sack.

Yep.

Plastic was a very odd poster. He seemed to revel in non sequitur. A comparison to Plastic should be regarded as extremely unflattering.

Well, I suppose I should be flattered that I've been compared to RedScare then, especially considering his avatar is "The Most Interesting Man in the World."

Again, RedScare, I'd like to draw you back in, even if it means I gotta slap you.

AND again with the ANYHOW,

what's up with the cold?! It was around 100 yesterday, and now it's around 65 tonight.

Nah... he was too bitter.

All kidding aside, I did like reading his stuff, and it's unfortunate he chose to leave, but he's a grown man so he can do what he likes.

So, tonight's playlist thus far includes a couple obscure bands, but what the hay, it's still good to get the word out. I don't like hoarding good bands like they're some kind of hipster merit badge. So, I started with Elf Power, moved to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, then went to Sugarplum Fairy, then listened to Tom Petty and finally settled on the Libertines. Next up is Roy Hargrove (a fantastic modern jazzman) and then the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. I'll probably hit the sack after that, but I might stay up in order to listen to Clifton Chenier and Bob Schneider. Depends on how convincing the argument for staying awake is that the box wine makes. The wife never buys Franzia as she reasons the "good" stuff (note: I use the word good here very loosely) is worth the three extra dollars. I can't argue the point with her either as I'll spend as much on a six pack as she spends on five liters of wine.

You exhibit a commitment issue with music. The way to best enjoy a certain artist is a more lengthy listen. Are you ADHD? You need more funkiness in your life. The JBs, (box set) and an obscure New Orleans band called Porter Batiste Stolz. -- when the Meters broke up and all the Neville Bros left in the early 70s, they left George Porter, who after a series of bands ended up with a new funk jam-band trio.

You exhibit a commitment issue with music. The way to best enjoy a certain artist is a more lengthy listen. Are you ADHD? You need more funkiness in your life. The JBs, (box set) and an obscure New Orleans band called Porter Batiste Stolz. -- when the Meters broke up and all the Neville Bros left in the early 70s, they left George Porter, who after a series of bands ended up with a new funk jam-band trio.

Don't worry, my attention span is album length. My listening record isn't a series of separate four minute songs.

Anyhow, I've really been digging Professor Longhair's stuff lately.

I've just received the following communique from RedScare. I hadn't spoken to him since his 'falling out', but suspected duplicity on Editor's part. My suspicions are vallidated.

See below:

Hey,

Since you and Crunch and Attica were online, I was going to pop in and say Hi, but editor has suspended my posting privileges. So, his claim that I left is bogus. He has banned me. Probably wants me to beg or something. Tell everyone I tried to say Hi, but 'Dear Leader' has silenced me for good.

I'll post this PM in its entirety, will save the post as a .txt file, and will repost it however many times are necessary or until I am also banned by 'Dear Leader'.

funny stuff.

I didn't know this forum drops the ban hammer. Tell Red to get a jump drive, anonymOS, and a new account from a proxy if he wants to post. happy.gif I knew about memebag's deletion issues, in fact I was the one who tipped him off to it initially., but I didn't know he too had left the forum. dry.gif

Constructively, I'll add to the music convo. This is a song I frequently splice into dubbier dj sets.

I've just received the following communique from RedScare. I hadn't spoken to him since his 'falling out', but suspected duplicity on Editor's part. My suspicions are vallidated.

See below:

Your suspicions are only validated in your mind.

RedScare has not been banned. If he was banned he wouldn't be able to read posts.

To claim that RedScare didn't leave voluntarily is a lie. He even announced his departure publicly in the entertainment thread. Stop making things up and intentionally trying to cause trouble.

It is standard procedure to disable posting in inactive accounts. This is done in case that account gets compromised (someone guesses or brute-forces a password) by a spammer. Spammers often and hackers occasionally look for inactive accounts and then try to hijack them. If RedScare wants his posting privileges reinstated, all he has to do is ask me. He's more than welcome to rejoin HAIF. However, it is also standard procedure for newly reactivated accounts to be closely monitored. I don't know if this will be acceptable to him since the moderators and I continue to "censor" name calling.

I hate to break it to Red, but he's not receiving special treatment. He'll have to peddle his persecution complex elsewhere.

And Niche, if you want to continue this discussion we can talk about it in PM. But if you use this thread to spread falsehoods it will only get locked. I don't think you should ruin it for everyone else.

Your suspicions are only validated in your mind.

RedScare has not been banned. If he was banned he wouldn't be able to read posts.

To claim that RedScare didn't leave voluntarily is a lie. He even announced his departure publicly in the entertainment thread. Stop making things up and intentionally trying to cause trouble.

It is standard procedure to disable posting in inactive accounts. This is done in case that account gets compromised (someone guesses or brute-forces a password) by a spammer. Spammers often and hackers occasionally look for inactive accounts and then try to hijack them. If RedScare wants his posting privileges reinstated, all he has to do is ask me. He's more than welcome to rejoin HAIF. However, it is also standard procedure for newly reactivated accounts to be closely monitored. I don't know if this will be acceptable to him since the moderators and I continue to "censor" name calling.

I hate to break it to Red, but he's not receiving special treatment. He'll have to peddle his persecution complex elsewhere.

And Niche, if you want to continue this discussion we can talk about it in PM. But if you use this thread to spread falsehoods it will only get locked. I don't think you should ruin it for everyone else.

OK, good explanation. In hindsight, it strikes me as that Red just didn't understand the technical behind-the-scenes workings of HAIF. I suspect that that is true of most people on here (myself among them).

He took his inability to post as an indication of punitive action against him. This would be a reasonable conclusion for someone who doesn't know about spammers, hackers, or whatnot. To your credit, our ignorance of these pests is probably so acute because such issues are largely prevented and dealt with effectively before they're even witnessed by participants.

I don't blame him (or feel any shame on my part) for overreacting to a non-issue. Ignorance was at play, but as you demonstrated, that's a condition that is easily cured.

For the record, though, I still don't like how you handled the issue.

Crap. In retrospect, how would (I want) other HAIFers describe myself? "IronTiger was certainly different. He was much younger than us, living not just beyond 610, but in College freakin' Station and had some idealistic thoughts on light rail, occasionally weird posts, and debated against us on a few controversial topics! What a character!"

what's up with the cold?! It was around 100 yesterday, and now it's around 65 tonight.

Isn't it AWESOME?

I know the feeling. There was an issue with another website I had, but it was handled by the admins in a much worse way. I thought I was in email communication, but it seems to be done with (checks inbox), nope, no messages. sad.gif

----

Wait, we can post HTML now?

EDIT: Apparently no embedding, it seems.

Crap. In retrospect, how would (I want) other HAIFers describe myself? "IronTiger was certainly different. He was much younger than us, living not just beyond 610, but in College freakin' Station and had some idealistic thoughts on light rail, occasionally weird posts, and debated against us on a few controversial topics! What a character!"

Occasionally? You should spend more time fishing...

funny_54.gif

OK, good explanation. In hindsight, it strikes me as that Red just didn't understand the technical behind-the-scenes workings of HAIF. I suspect that that is true of most people on here (myself among them).

He took his inability to post as an indication of punitive action against him. This would be a reasonable conclusion for someone who doesn't know about spammers, hackers, or whatnot. To your credit, our ignorance of these pests is probably so acute because such issues are largely prevented and dealt with effectively before they're even witnessed by participants.

I don't blame him (or feel any shame on my part) for overreacting to a non-issue. Ignorance was at play, but as you demonstrated, that's a condition that is easily cured.

For the record, though, I still don't like how you handled the issue.

Hmm, I missed all this Red leaving nonsense. Reminds me of how memebag left, but it's different because his big beef was that his posts were being edited by mods and not marked as such, they appeared unaltered. That's different, a little. I think people leave when they're ready, and when a convenient and sometimes dramatic reason to leave presents itself some take advantage. MidtownCoog was the best example of that I think (danax was before I joined up), I actually read his departure post before it got deleted.

Archived