New Construction W Garage Apartment

jm1fd

Why can't I find any new construction with garage apartments or rental units? Seems like developers would want to offer this as at least an option in case somebody wanted extra space for a home office or extra rental unit or guest suite or some such. I can't find a thing...at least nothing in the under $300k realm. Then again, HAR.com doesn't exactly make it easy to search for houses with garage apartments.

Why can't I find any new construction with garage apartments or rental units? Seems like developers would want to offer this as at least an option in case somebody wanted extra space for a home office or extra rental unit or guest suite or some such. I can't find a thing...at least nothing in the under $300k realm. Then again, HAR.com doesn't exactly make it easy to search for houses with garage apartments.

I'd think that the cost would be the primary factor in keeping them out of new construction homes under $300k. Garage apartments aren't cheap, with the cost being driven largely by plumbing and fixtures. Demand for them increases as the price of the property goes up because such households can afford to keep maids and would prefer that they live nearby or on-site.

you'll find them in neighborhoods with existing smaller homes that need additional space without adding on to the main residence. they certainly aren't inexpensive, I've heard figures of 80K+ mentioned. on the flip side, they solve a lot of problems with smaller houses - secure storage, guest room, home office, work area for projects, and a rental opportunity for resale.

it is true, the new homes going up in my neighborhood, selling in the 700-800K range, don't have them. One new home had a massive master bathroom above the garage, with a walkway over to an equally huge master bedroom. sounds weird, and looked weird.

it is true, the new homes going up in my neighborhood, selling in the 700-800K range, don't have them. One new home had a massive master bathroom above the garage, with a walkway over to an equally huge master bedroom. sounds weird, and looked weird.

in some hoods, deed restrictions prohibit them.

Is it really that big of an increase? They've already got all the folks on site. I would think it wouldn't push it up more than $30k.

If you only frame out and sheetrock the space, using hardiplank siding, it isn't too bad. But if you install a bathroom and kitchenette, and use the same siding as the main house, the price tag starts going up.

...and if matt can do it for $30k (labor & materials included), then he needs to PM me, as I may have a job he'd be interested in.

in some hoods, deed restrictions prohibit them.

And I would think HOAs would too, as they usually end up as rentals, which adds parking problems, noise, etc, etc. I think Houston also requires additional onsite parking, which causes loss of yard space.

Not new construction, but have a house for sale on corner with enough space for nice garage apartment. Property behind this has beautiful garage apartment. danax-City does not seem to enforce providing space for parking for garage apartments [at least not in EE].

And I would think HOAs would too, as they usually end up as rentals, which adds parking problems, noise, etc, etc. I think Houston also requires additional onsite parking, which causes loss of yard space.

Not new construction, but have a house for sale on corner with enough space for nice garage apartment.

I've seen your house for sale. Dismuke is WAY too busy of a cut-through street for me to consder buying that house. In addition to traffic, houses along those sorts of cut through streets seem to be subject to more property crime.

I have NEVER had a problem with crime since I purchased in 1985!!! I have another property on a "cut thru" street & NEVER had a problem!! But I don't give a vunerable impression either of me or my properties! I've had more problems with properties in middle of block where persons can "hide" between cars, garages/etc & vandalize. Street I live on is a cut thru. I think one of the reasons for not being vandalized on cut thru streets is the fact the homeowners are more vigilant. In what seem like very laid back, safe streets, the residents become very complacant & ignore many of the things that can lead up to crime....just my experience. Also, finding a safe area in a neighborhood that allows apartments ain't easy nor simple. Finding a corner lot or lot large enough to handle the parking in an area that accepts garage apartments ain't easy. Finding the right package of the above at a financially feasable price is also a great challenge. Good luck in your endeavors!

I've seen your house for sale. Dismuke is WAY too busy of a cut-through street for me to consder buying that house. In addition to traffic, houses along those sorts of cut through streets seem to be subject to more property crime.

You don't see garage apartments anymore because our culture has changed. Back then it was cool to rent out a garage apartments, but now there are so many apartment buildings, its no longer needed. Its time has passed. Anyway, anyone who can afford to build a new house with a garage apartment probably doesn't need to rent it out.

I love a good garage apartment. You see them everywhere in Riverside Terrace where we are. It really does not cost that much if you decide to make a really high pitch roof with dormers. I can built one from scratch for about 30K.

How would you buiuld to keep it cool in the summer & warm in the winter with no attic space as a buffer?

Lots of new $500K - 700K new builds in the Heights area have garage apartments. The realtors like to refer to them as "quarters", as though the new owners are planning on keeping a household staff. Many of the fancy bungalow remodels also keep the apartments as well, though some of them connect them to the house as a master suite, instead.

Archived