The Sloane Gallery At 1570 S. Dairy Ashford Rd.

57Tbird

Hello to all my preservationist friends, please help me support David Welling and his book "Cinema Houston". David has worked very hard to keep the soul of the movie business in Houston alive through this wonderful book. His efforts will insure a fun part of Houston's history will survive. Mention your favorite Houston preservation group when you purchase a book and I will throw in a black and white poster of vintage Houston. Company discounts available on large orders! This book is the perfect Christmas item, priced at $45.00 it is an affordable way to show support of our historical community....

TO READ UP ON THE BOOK VISIT ITS WEBSITE: http://www.cinemahouston.info/index.htm

Story Sloane

• 4 months later...

If you like Historic and Vintage photography of Houston Texas then please visit : http://www.sloanegallery.com/historically_houston.htm

I have just posted four years of photo essays dealing with Houston's past. Some great shots of Houston's early architecture. I am trying to present a photographic history of the city from the 1950's working my way back to 1848 when the first photograph was made in Houston. I would like to hear coments regarding our lost buildings... Story III

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for those and the other Houston-related historic photos that you have made available online. I've always enjoyed them and feel it's important to preserve such images not just because they are significant historical records, but also because of their power to generate interest in Houston history, which can benefit historical research/preservation efforts generally. While publicly-funded institutions are working to archive Houston-related historic photos, it is always good to see that work supplemented by private individuals and organizations in possession of historically significant images - and I think it's especially nice when such images are shared on the internet, where I think they are most accessible to the largest number of people, and especially to the younger generations on whom we'll rely for future preservation of the city's heritage.

I hope that you've found that you can post photos online (perhaps in a smaller format?) without compromising your ownership interest in them - that's a subject I don't know much about, but I'm assuming that the money generated from selling photos at your gallery helps fund the preservation of other photos.

You mentioned that you'd welcome comments on our lost buildings - that's obviously a subject we discuss a lot in the Historic Houston subforum, and you might be interested in browsing the past threads, if you haven't already. I've found that, in particular, historic photos posted in this subforum generally generate a lot of comments and sometimes original research. Are there any topics in which you're especially interested right now? If so, I hope we'll hear more from you.

For others, here is a link to the HAIF thread on Mr. Sloan's letter to the Chronicle regarding the need for a museum of Houston history. And here is a link to an interview with Mr. Sloan on that and other topics.

Just took a quick peek at this site. Being a golfer, I looked at that category and noticed this photo entitled "River Oaks Country Club 1928"

SportsGolfROCC.jpg

I'm not positive, but I believe the guy on the right is the famous Walter Hagen.

Just took a quick peek at this site. Being a golfer, I looked at that category and noticed this photo entitled "River Oaks Country Club 1928"

SportsGolfROCC.jpg

I'm not positive, but I believe the guy on the right is the famous Walter Hagen.

Hmmmm perhaps Butch Harmon Sr. Someone told me he was a pro there. - Story III

Dick Harmon was the pro at ROCC until his death in 2006, but he was born in 1947. His father was Claude Harmon who was head pro at Winged Foot and then Thunderbird CC. Claude was born in 1916, and could be the right age for that photo. However, I don't believe he was ever associated with ROCC except through his son Dick. But I could be wrong.

I have looked up a few additional photos of Hagen, and I am almost positive that is he on the right. Hagen is one of the most famous golfers ever. His 11 Major Championships, including the US Open twice and the British Open four times, ranks third only to Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods.

His importance and contribution to golf is immeasurable. He was truly one of the Greats, and I believe that makes the photo all that more important

If anyone has historic Houston photographs they want preserved for posterity online, simply upload them to the HAIF Gallery. It's a free service we provide and there are currently no limits on the number of photos you can upload.

It also gives people a chance to comment on the photos and share their memories of what's in the pictures.

And considering The HAIF's status in Google, we're pretty much a de-facto online Houston history museum as it is.

• 8 months later...

Ok All, It looks like I am going to have to feed you and provide soothing beverages plus give all of you something free to get you in the gallery to see my collection...Ho Ho Ho... Majestic Santa

MAJESTIC%20SANTA.jpg

...JOIN US SATURDAY DECEMBER 20TH FOR OUR ANNUAL OLD TIME HOUSTON CHRISTMAS PARTY FROM NOON TILL 7PM...GOOD FOOD, DRINK AND A FREE BLACK AND WHITE POSTER OF HISTORIC HOUSTON FOR ALL WHO ATTEND...

CHRISTMAS%20WADDELLS%20SANTA%20web.jpg

Ummmm, I am thinking this should possibly be the HAIF gathering for HH this year. Oh Sloane Dear......would a little BYOB be appropriate, as I am assuming there will only be wine and possibly beer at this little suarey ?

BTW, is that Irving Thalberg, head of MGM production in 1924, shaking hands with Santa ? It sure looks like him.

• The title was changed to The Sloane Gallery
  • The title was changed to The Sloane Gallery At 1570 S. Dairy Ashford Rd.

Archived