Townhouses Overtaking The Combo Area

Guest danax

The area on Commerce east of Downtown is being rapidly filled with townhouses and it won't be too many years before it'll look like Rice Military. It started with the art warehouses and, predictably, the development followed 10 years or so later. I'm half-jokingly calling it COMBO (COMmerce By Olshan) since it's in a location that really doesn't seem to have a name. "Over by Olshan's" is how that nabe has been communicated to me more than once in the past, since everyone on the East End knows where Olshan's Hardware is (it's been there since the 30s). It's really away from what is currently considered the Warehouse District, especially as it spreads east, it's not Eastwood, Navigation is many blocks away, Clinton Dr./Upper East End is also distant. It's a community in the making and will eventually be called something. Any other ideas? What better place than HAIF to coin one.

48761c2.jpg

52csps9.jpg

The area on Commerce east of Downtown is being rapidly filled with townhouses and it won't be too many years before it'll look like Rice Military. It started with the art warehouses and, predictably, the development followed 10 years or so later. I'm half-jokingly calling it COMBO (COMmerce By Olshan) since it's in a location that really doesn't seem to have a name. "Over by Olshan's" is how that nabe has been communicated to me more than once in the past, since everyone on the East End knows where Olshan's Hardware is (it's been there since the 30s).

I have heard it called Second Ward and also Settegast.

I haven't been over there in a year or two.

Didn't they upgrade the park there recently?

You're right, it is technically 2nd Ward, but then again, so is Eastwood, and I have heard Settegast too. I know I deserve to be flogged with a wet noodle for coming up with one of those wannabe-hip names, but I guess it's the closet master planner in me enjoying watching the birth of a new community and wanting to stick a new label on it already. :rolleyes:

This particular area is significant in that, as opposed to the construction in the Warehouse District and partially Clinton Dr., these townhomes are encroaching on a vast residential area, with the good and bad that gentrification brings, along with the location between Canal and Harrisburg, both boulevards destined for retail remakes. It will be interesting to see if any political battles begin here.

i like how the developer erected a fence to hide the train tracks. :blink:

Yeah, when I went by there a couple weeks ago, they looked totally useless for the future. Too bad.

And I'm not sure what park you're talking about, but I did go by a small one very close to those townhomes, just north of them. It looked alright. And I saw some guys playing basketball. One was a former NBA player, but I can't remember for the life of me what his name was. Bald guy, known for wearing headbands, I think he was a very good sixth man and even played for the Rockets for a couple years. Searched rosters but still couldn't figure it out. Oh well.

Yeah, when I went by there a couple weeks ago, they looked totally useless for the future. Too bad.

And I'm not sure what park you're talking about, but I did go by a small one very close to those townhomes, just north of them. It looked alright. And I saw some guys playing basketball. One was a former NBA player, but I can't remember for the life of me what his name was. Bald guy, known for wearing headbands, I think he was a very good sixth man and even played for the Rockets for a couple years. Searched rosters but still couldn't figure it out. Oh well.

the tracks are used daily....i'm sure the future townhome owners will be complaining of the blaring horn from the trains. they'll be complaining that they didn't know trains used the tracks. :wacko:

the park they are talking about is southeast of this location.

There were big upgrades to Settegast Park about 5 years ago. I was happy to see many of the surrounding somewhat Victorians bought raised and restored to original splendor. Check em out. This area was one that you clearly wanted to avoid for decades. Talk to old timers around they will attest. Resurgance is good. I know a couple that new redevelopment was coming around the corner, bought an old home and have cashed in $$$.

Man, I hope Olshan doesn't go away but I am afraid the competition is slowly doing them in. Remember going there since childhood. Its a very close knit family oriented business that has catered to the immediate area for eons it seems. This area was and still sort of is a little village where everyone knew each other. We still know people that have been living in the area since 1940's. Maybe now they will cash in? or get kicked out? Only fate will tell. :)

Man, I hope Olshan doesn't go away but I am afraid the competition is slowly doing them in. Remember going there since childhood. Its a very close knit family oriented business that has catered to the immediate area for eons it seems.

All of that land they own on both sides of the street is gaining in value quickly so that could get the family thinking about selling. Loyalty and tradition have a funny way of being quickly forgotten when the possibility of large $um$ of money become real. Or, they could adapt to the yuppies and continue on, as there are no big box lumber yards close by.

i hope olshan sticks around, too. they seem to be healthy - every time i pick up a load of sheetrock, the loading area is teeming with contractors. they keep a good variety of specialty lumber in stock and i've found that they are pretty competitive in their pricing. their framing lumber is quality - not the mangled mess of pick-up sticks you would expect from home depot. speaking of which, i've never had to wait more than 30 seconds to get help at olshan's...good luck getting that at the big orange box...

i hope olshan sticks around, too. they seem to be healthy - every time i pick up a load of sheetrock, the loading area is teeming with contractors. they keep a good variety of specialty lumber in stock and i've found that they are pretty competitive in their pricing. their framing lumber is quality - not the mangled mess of pick-up sticks you would expect from home depot. speaking of which, i've never had to wait more than 30 seconds to get help at olshan's...good luck getting that at the big orange box...

That is exactly true! had it not been for the nearby regrowth/expansion, Olshan's may have been dust by now. When they started closing on Sundays we thought the end was near. Thats normally a bad sign when hours shorten and employees get cut. Prices are normally more reasonable as well. When they has that value building in the back full of recycled doors it was so much better.

I noticed about 2 yrs ago some younger people bought those 2 neat little 2 story Victorians on the corner of Canal (Olshans) repainted and restored. Saved! They are smack in the middle of the action coming this way. Our old friends are just a block away. Just think people used to beg people to move from here. There is a glimmer of hope it seems. :P

I hope the craters in Commerce Street get fixed! Also, what is to become of the active freight line that runs smack in the middle of the street? It turns north toward a sizable rail yard on the bayou that would have to be shut down if the tracks go.

A good part of that rail yard was torn out earlier this year. Apparently every section of track gets taxed pretty heavily whether it is getting use or not, and although UP would like nothing more than to rip out every bit of track from their main line, down Commerce, across Navigation, and into their rail yard, and then sell the rail yard's land, they are also required by law to provide service to their last remaining customer on the bayou, which is a huge warehouse owned by Weingarten Realty Investors. So they removed what they could and left what they had to.

The Commerce Street tracks will stay until Weingarten determines that their industrial property along the bayou has a higher and better use. My crystal ball says 8 to 15 years.

I retract my COMBO offering and submit Settegast Park.

I found this one page website by an old timer from that area. An excerpt is below.

To The Old Settegast Park Neighborhood Of Houston, Texas

The old neighborhood around Settegast

Park in Houston, Texas was home

for me during the "Big Ones".

Settegast Park was the nucleus of our neighborhood in the 1930's and 1940's. It was a place where preteens played in the sand box or on the swings or seesaws. Teen aged boys and girls often played softball and volleyball together and the boys played touch football and basketball.

The wide expanses of concrete walk ways invited anyone with sidewalk roller skates and that included virtually every boy and most of the girls in the neighborhood. Adults came to the park to watch their kids play in the day and for an occasional dance or to watch the free park movie at night. Almost everybody came to see the "Park Shows" as we called the free movie shown at the park every week.

It was just as safe for a young lady to walk across the park at 10:00 at night as it was for a grown man at noon. Settegast Park is one block wide and three short blocks long, bounded by Sherman and Garrow streets on the long north and south sides and Paige and Palmer streets at the east and west ends. The park is located in a small neighborhood between Harrisburg and Canal and about half way between Sampson street and the Harrisburg underpass at the edge of downtown in Houston's near east side.

In the nineteen thirties forties and fifties, the neighborhood was comprised mostly of city employees, railroad shop employees and train crews, teachers, machinists, sales clerks and route truck drivers.

The big brick building we called the park house was the only building on the park. It had one room for park equipment and another one for sport equipment and games to be checked out at the west end. The east end had a men's and a women's rest rooms.

The two ends were originally connected by a tile roofed, open sided pavilion with brick columns spaced along the sides. Later during World War II wood frame walls with locked windows and doors were added between the brick pillars, creating a large room for dances, plays and the free park show during cold weather.

• 2 weeks later...
I retract my COMBO offering and submit Settegast Park.

I found this one page website by an old timer from that area. An excerpt is below.

To The Old Settegast Park Neighborhood Of Houston, Texas

The old neighborhood around Settegast

Park in Houston, Texas was home

for me during the "Big Ones".

Settegast Park was the nucleus of our neighborhood in the 1930's and 1940's. It was a place where preteens played in the sand box or on the swings or seesaws. Teen aged boys and girls often played softball and volleyball together and the boys played touch football and basketball.

The wide expanses of concrete walk ways invited anyone with sidewalk roller skates and that included virtually every boy and most of the girls in the neighborhood. Adults came to the park to watch their kids play in the day and for an occasional dance or to watch the free park movie at night. Almost everybody came to see the "Park Shows" as we called the free movie shown at the park every week.

It was just as safe for a young lady to walk across the park at 10:00 at night as it was for a grown man at noon. Settegast Park is one block wide and three short blocks long, bounded by Sherman and Garrow streets on the long north and south sides and Paige and Palmer streets at the east and west ends. The park is located in a small neighborhood between Harrisburg and Canal and about half way between Sampson street and the Harrisburg underpass at the edge of downtown in Houston's near east side.

In the nineteen thirties forties and fifties, the neighborhood was comprised mostly of city employees, railroad shop employees and train crews, teachers, machinists, sales clerks and route truck drivers.

The big brick building we called the park house was the only building on the park. It had one room for park equipment and another one for sport equipment and games to be checked out at the west end. The east end had a men's and a women's rest rooms.

The two ends were originally connected by a tile roofed, open sided pavilion with brick columns spaced along the sides. Later during World War II wood frame walls with locked windows and doors were added between the brick pillars, creating a large room for dances, plays and the free park show during cold weather.

That is so cool. I can just mentally picture the life of the area in those days.

I bet SEVFIV knows the name of the elementary school that was just about 3 blocks from Settegast on Harrisburg? It has been an empty, weeded lot for decades. When you drive by stop and imagine a 2 story schoolhouse there and the old houses that surrounded the block are still there. Hope they do not demolish! My waaaay older cousin told me he attended as a kid but I forgot the name of the school. Now it would be amazing if someone had photos?

and your right COMBO sounds very peculiar or downright hilarious. Was it meant in jest or a type-o? Oh well, funny either way.

That is so cool. I can just mentally picture the life of the area in those days.

I can too. Yesterday I drove by the park on my way home from work.

I tried to imagine all the games they played and how it must have been

a little piece of heaven on earth. Some good structures are still standing and have

a lot of potential. Some cute bungalows and prairie style right across from the park.

Times like these I miss my grandfather, he was always so good with telling stories from

growing up during the Depression. He would tell me how much fun they had even though they

were so very poor.

and your right COMBO sounds very peculiar or downright hilarious. Was it meant in jest or a type-o? Oh well, funny either way.

I was half poking fun at those urban acronyms that emerging hipzones want to seem to create and was also thinking of DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) in Brooklyn. This area is a legitimate emerging hipzone and I couldn't figure out what it is/should be called, and figure that those new residents over there will end up telling their friends, "yeah, I bought a townhouse over on the East End over by______)".

I found this pic and info on Settegast Park. The pic accompanied the text below so I'm assuming that it's of the land where the park is now. I'm not sure if the below mentioned renovations in 2004 have all been completed or not.

6kt4375.jpg

Settegast Park was founded on October 26, 1911, when J.J. Settegast of Houston donated block number six in his S.M.Williams Subdivision to be developed exclusively for park purposes.

The City of Houston expanded the park in 1916 by purchasing blocks five and seven in the J.J. Settegast's S.M. Williams Subdivision for $25,030. According to the City's agreement with Settegast, the land was to be used exclusively as a public or city park for the next 25 years. The Park currently consists of approximately 4.1acres.

The Ladies of Second Ward Civic Club built Settegast Park's first band pavilion, which musicians and residents enjoyed tremendously. The City of Houston added amenities to the Park one by one - a tennis court, basketball court, concession stand, outdoor gym, drainage system, bleachers, area lighting, a community center and in the early 1950s, the ball field.

In the mid-1950s, Settegast played host to the Rusk Athletic Club and the annual Latin-American state basketball and softball tournament - the biggest tournaments of their kind at that time with more than 1,200 attendees and 22 competing teams. The Men's Hispanic Fast Pitch League originated in Settegast Park during that same time and today celebrates its anniversary there every July. The Latin-American Fast Pitch Association - today an umbrella for teams all over the U.S. and Mexico - also began their tournament play at the Settegast Park Ballfield.

In 1975 the City of Houston closed Paige Street, the street located between Rusk Elementary and Settegast Park. Settegast Park's official address changed from 211 Paige Street to its current address - 3000 Garrow Street.

Historically one of the most widely used parks in the city, Settegast Park Ballfield boasts a rigorous schedule with baseball, softball and Little League games and practices every day of the week. The students of neighboring Rusk Elementary School use the recreational facilities, including the ball field, nearly every day, as do neighborhood children. Local men's, women's and children's softball teams and baseball teams also rely on the field for regular league practices and games.

The City of Houston Parks and Recreation Department has earmarked $1.2 million for renovations to Settegast Park. The department is currently in the programming phase of the project, targeting improvements to the ball field lights, swimming pool, multi-purpose pavilion, playground, park sidewalks, landscaping and the parking lot as funds allow.

Its too bad the caption doesnt indicate which direction the photo is in. If only it said photo of Settegast area facing East, North, etc.

Funny, all the years we attended the nearby Our Lady of Guadalupe church we just called it the Guadalupe church area. Older folks called it whatever... Ward? Us younger kids all over East End never did relate to "Ward's" references. Seemed so outdated and old fashioned sounding.

There were many of the 2 story brick buildings across the street from the church. Usually owned by mom/pop and families lived on 2nd floor. All that is making a comeback of course all around US. Our mom said they lived in one for a short time but the building is gone now. If you circle the cemetary next to Guadalupe church you will find many shotgun homes still there (for now anyway). Keep in mind that this area at one time was very clean and colorful and alive with long time residents 1940' and 50's . Sidewalks were even and most of the RED BRICK streets were flat and smooth. Most of which have been paved over with new gravel over the decades. In some spots around Olshan and the church red bricks are still visible.

Man, this brings back memories, after mass we used to play in the church playground area. Slides/swing sets might still be there.

PS, there used to be a good Mex restaurant next to Ninfa's called the Green Leaf Cafe and of course Crespo Funeral Home is an institution of the nabe. Go inside and see the historic photos on thier walls. Many unsung heroes of Houston's Latin community are displayed. All the way back to the 1920's.

With development encroaching ever so near, all of these very long time residents will be moved out to? :ph34r:

I found this pic and info on Settegast Park. The pic accompanied the text below so I'm assuming that it's of the land where the park is now. I'm not sure if the below mentioned renovations in 2004 have all been completed or not.

6kt4375.jpg

Settegast Park was founded on October 26, 1911, when J.J. Settegast of Houston donated block number six in his S.M.Williams Subdivision to be developed exclusively for park purposes.

The City of Houston expanded the park in 1916 by purchasing blocks five...

Great pic and article. Thank you Danax.

I have a friend that owns a house very close to Settegast Park. A couple of months ago he mentioned that one of the contractors working on those townhouses right next to the railroad tracks on Commerce apparently didn't believe the tracks were actually in use, and consequently decided to leave his truck parked on the tracks overnight. The entirely predictable outcome: train 1, truck 0. :lol:

I have a friend that owns a house very close to Settegast Park. A couple of months ago he mentioned that one of the contractors working on those townhouses right next to the railroad tracks on Commerce apparently didn't believe the tracks were actually in use, and consequently decided to leave his truck parked on the tracks overnight. The entirely predictable outcome: train 1, truck 0. :lol:

*sigh*

Why is it that 99% of the contractors out there are complete morons?

So would this be a listing for one of the invading townhouses?http://www.har.com/2040456
Yes. And when I was over there last week, there were sometownhomes going in right across the street from the park...whichis labeled RUSK PARK on the HAR map. There are many being builtright over there like Danax said.
What the....? Sucks to be him...or her. :lol:

• 2 months later...

I have been thinking about buying one of the Waterhill Homes Patio Townhomes on Commerce & Hutchins. Can anyone provide any additional info on the east end area that these are located in, the builder, how many trains fly by at 3am, the artist housing to the north side of Commerce, Downtown relocation property tax credit, ect...

Here are the pro's I have seen from my research...

1) 2010 Census Report will spur massive Retail construction in the area

2) Possible new location of Dynamo Stadium (approx. 5 blocks south) with new Metro-Rail Lines

3) HUGE Roads, allbeit not the best shape, I have heard rumors of a grant from Houston to re-do all the streets East of HW-59, North of I-45, up to Navigation.

4) Brand New Townhomes being built every day, I think this area will be brand new in 5 years

5) Historic Warehouse District Location

6) GREAT views of downtown

Any more knowledge you can pass along PLEASE DO!! I like COMBO as a nickname by the way...

"I have been thinking about buying one of the Waterhill Homes Patio Townhomes on Commerce & Hutchins. Can anyone provide any additional info on the east end area that these are located in, the builder, how many trains fly by at 3am, the artist housing to the north side of Commerce, Downtown relocation property tax credit, ect...'

I would suggest not buying from waterhill..............I just bought one from them at Avenue J & Navigation.....and I am not impressed with their work....touch ups, paint, no phone jacks, I cant even get my boxspring up the first flight of stairs!! Also, there is a giant dumpster out in front of my place full of trash...........why hasn't it been picked up in 3 months?? waterhill has not paid their bills

"I have been thinking about buying one of the Waterhill Homes Patio Townhomes on Commerce & Hutchins. Can anyone provide any additional info on the east end area that these are located in, the builder, how many trains fly by at 3am, the artist housing to the north side of Commerce, Downtown relocation property tax credit, ect...'

I would suggest not buying from waterhill..............I just bought one from them at Avenue J & Navigation.....and I am not impressed with their work....touch ups, paint, no phone jacks, I cant even get my boxspring up the first flight of stairs!! Also, there is a giant dumpster out in front of my place full of trash...........why hasn't it been picked up in 3 months?? waterhill has not paid their bills

I have to agree with all of the above. We bought one at Navigation as well, and I noticed the same things you're pointing out.

The over-flowing dumpster is rediculous, and the phone lines just now getting finished was a nightmare. We, too, have a shortage of phone jacks. Our walls got torn up trying to move our queen box springs up the stairs. After getting it wedged mid-way up the first floor, we decied to back it out and opt for the slabs IKEA offers for their beds in place of the box springs. The paint in the bathrooms looks horrible after only 2 MONTHS of living there. They used the same paint throughout the house, so any water that touches the walls runs down and makes streaks. I'm already thinking about re-painting all of the bathrooms.

Even though the property is still very much under construction, the workers could do a better job of clearing the driveway that people have to take to get to and from their garage. The other day I had to move a pile of wood beams way over so I didn't hit them in my car.

• The title was changed to Townhouses Overtaking The Combo Area

Archived