Single, Asian Male Thinking About Moving To Sugar Land

mikelee33

People advised me to move toward midtown but I can't stand being in an area that has a high crime rate. I am from the OC in So Cal and looking for that type of vibe. Suburbs with some things going on and within driving distance to the action on the weekends. Commute to work is not a factor since I can telecommute.

The things that attracted me to Sugarland are the following.

* I sense Orange County of Houston vibe.

* High Asian population.

* Low crime rate?

* Quiet neighborhood?

I am looking at 200k for a house. Again, size of the house does not matter since again I am a single guy, actually I prefer the smaller the house the better. So.

What area of Sugar land should I be looking at? If you can provide the zip codes that would help.

I am visiting soon and would like to know if there are anything I should check out at Sugar Land, it will be during the weekend. Maybe the mall?

Are there any condos in sugarland?

How much should I plan for electricity bills, let's say for a 2000 sq ft house? Are there certain things I should look for in a house? Like energy efficient or maybe flooding wise?

Thanks for you help. I worked in the entertainment industry while in LA but really want a quiet neighborhood where I can sleep forever if need be. Inside the loop of Houston does not seem to fit that description.

Before you settle on Sugarland, you might consider Pearland too. Read this thread which compares them.

It sounds like the west side of Pearland (along the Hwy 288 corridor) might appeal to you, it's growing fast with lots of nearby amenities, and there are still relatively quiet neighborhoods to live in. Also, if you are in the $200K price range, you can get a house, you don't need a condo (unless you just want one). There are also quite a few asians living in this area, too.

What area of Sugar land should I be looking at? If you can provide the zip codes that would help.

Look in one of two places. First would be the condos in Town Square. You can't get closer to the action than that. Secondly I'd check out all the townhomes along Grants Lake Blvd. It runs parallel to Lexington from Hwy 6 to Austin Parkway, it's real close to the mall, Town Square, and Hwy 6 @ Hwy 59 (the epicenter of Sugar Land). Both of these areas are in the 77479 zip code.

How much should I plan for electricity bills, let's say for a 2000 sq ft house? Are there certain things I should look for in a house? Like energy efficient or maybe flooding wise?

I would expect your electric bill to be anywhere from $100-$150 in the offseason and $200-$300 in the summer depending upon how cold you like the A/C.

Good luck! I hope you like it here. Sugar Land isn't usually an area thought of for singles but it's a great town, family area, and it has great access to Uptown, Greenway, and Downtown. Oh I just thought of something else, they are building new condos/townhomes in the Lake Pointe development at the N corner of HWY 6 @ Hwy 59 but they might be out of your price range.

Another factor that really had me leaning toward sugarland is the crime factor. I mean I was really close to buying a condo in downtown houston for 250k or so but I looked at the neighborhood crime data and was blown away. And then I started to look Midtown, Montrose, Medical Center, and all of those areas seems to be pretty bad. I also thought about highrises since the break ins would be lot difficult but the ones I was interested were asking for main fees of 700 and above.

I will visit Sugarland soon to see what the town is like. I will def check out the condos and any other areas that were suggested by the posters. Thanks for the feedback. I have been on Har consistently since 3 months ago, but there is nothing like flying in for couple of days and checking out the area both day and night.

I also heard that sugarland is the place for younger professionals who do not want the bad of the loop and are willing to take the brunt of the commute to live safely. Again it's an assumption.

I have lived in midtown since 1998. And yes, the crime has gotten bad here. I hate to say that it but crime has really increased since Katrina. Midtown is, of course, in the central city. With that you can expect higher crime but also everything that is cool about Houston is near mditown.

My $.02

I would rent a car, start downtown, and drive US59 all the way out to highway 6. This will give you a feel for how far out Sugar Land is. Now, while you're driving out that way, notice that you'll pass right by every possible destination on your way out there. From Downtown to the Galleria, it's all on the way to Sugar Land.

Mikelee,

Sugarland is fine for singles also. There are the bars and places to hang out there also. Low crime rate compared to other places. If you're really concerned about crime, pack some heat!! Most of my friends have a concealed handgun and i am thinking about getting a handgun. Also, for some reason single Asian males tend not to be victims of crime, but i have been.. Don't know why, but my Asian male friends have never been mugged, robbed, etc.

Also, for some reason single Asian males tend not to be victims of crime, but i have been.. Don't know why, but my Asian male friends have never been mugged, robbed, etc.

It could be stereotyping working in your favor. Maybe the thugs watch a lot of Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies.... :)

And Mike, the one aspect of Orange County that you won't get in Houston is that feeling of one city merging into another without end. It's getting that way though.

My company moved to Sugar Land earlier this year, and I have to say the place creeps me out. Everything I've seen seems over-planned and sterile, but the "Town Square" part is the worst. It's like a drive-thru mall. The most shocking thing was seeing that the Sugar Land City Hall is part of that inorganic, Disney-esque Main Street.

My company moved to Sugar Land earlier this year, and I have to say the place creeps me out. Everything I've seen seems over-planned and sterile, but the "Town Square" part is the worst. It's like a drive-thru mall. The most shocking thing was seeing that the Sugar Land City Hall is part of that inorganic, Disney-esque Main Street.

To each his own. I think the best aspect of Sugar Land over other areas is the fact that most of it (First Colony specifically) is master planned. It is much less "sprawly" with much less traffic, less run down areas, and less "ugliness" than your typical suburb. You feel like you're in a town when you're in Sugar Land.

I agree with ProHouston and memebag. On the plus side, it's not run down looking like some areas outside of Houston are. On the minus side, it's kind of sterile and manufactured. I prefer the Music District, which I don't think has bad crime (not sure how it compares to S-Land), but its also closer to a lot more history and culture. To each his own I guess.

I guess the Museum District is more expensive though. You can find a condo or a townhouse in that price range, I think (maybe closer to 300k) - just not one with a huge yard and a lot of bedrooms. I don't think that's what he's looking for anyways.

To each his own. I think the best aspect of Sugar Land over other areas is the fact that most of it (First Colony specifically) is master planned. It is much less "sprawly" with much less traffic, less run down areas, and less "ugliness" than your typical suburb. You feel like you're in a town when you're in Sugar Land.

"A fish cannot live in distilled water." -- Mao Zedong

I've been in many towns, but I don't feel like I'm in one when I'm in Sugar Land. I feel like I'm in some planner's idea of what a town should be.

If I was a single guy buying a place in Houston, I would probably take in a place like this. It's small, but the location is great and its under $200k (who said living in the loop is too expensive?). It's got a swimming pool (great in the Houston summer), and you can walk to the Black Lab too! Downside: it's small, although bigger than my current apartment, and I don't need a lot of space. :)

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=2070698

It could be stereotyping working in your favor. Maybe the thugs watch a lot of Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies.... :)

And Mike, the one aspect of Orange County that you won't get in Houston is that feeling of one city merging into another without end. It's getting that way though.

LOL...

If I was a single guy buying a place in Houston, I would probably take in a place like this. It's small, but the location is great and its under $200k (who said living in the loop is too expensive?). It's got a swimming pool (great in the Houston summer), and you can walk to the Black Lab too! Downside: it's small, although bigger than my current apartment, and I don't need a lot of space. :)

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=2070698

Not bad place, but 300/month for maintenance fees...whoa!

• The title was changed to Single, Asian Male Thinking About Moving To Sugar Land

Archived